How to Deal with Heckler's...One Man's View

Thanks. No need for Dr. Phil. The show involves him making house calls. Do I seem like someone who doesn't carry their phone in case of needing a doctor? What I don't need do is carry this weight. Remind me I do this for exercise.

I didn't know he did house calls now. I haven't seen his show in years, except for the "cash me outside" clips my daughter sent me.

Speaking of exercise... never mind. I'm confused again.

I used to do the same to catch up with the regular patrons that I knew well. I didn't quite get to know the folks who excluded me from their circle of friends.
I would never leave the stage to chat with friends during a set. That’s intermission or post show stuff.

If I left the stage (still playing), it was to interact with someone I didn’t know and adjust the atmosphere a bit.

I would never leave the stage to chat with friends during a set. That’s intermission or post show stuff.

If I left the stage (still playing), it was to interact with someone I didn’t know and adjust the atmosphere a bit.

Yes, of course. What I meant to say was, before the gig, or after my time on stage. If I needed to adjust the atmosphere, it was to click the overhead fan switch on. Or dim the bug lights. Srsly.

Okay, heckler story. I've told this over at TGP and who knows, maybe even here too.

March 1974, it's spring break, Commander Cody and the Lost Planet Airmen (Bill Kirchen, guitar) are playing at a big theater in Cambridge MA. The opening act is bluegrass god Doc Watson, solo.

The audience is good and drunked up for a rockin' Cody concert. I'm out of school and ready for a good time too.

Doc Watson is doing his intricate, tremendous bluegrass and gospel singing and picking, and personally I'm entranced.

But when he finishes one song, some guy yells <Bahstin accint> ...

"Bring ahn the Cammandah!"

Some tiny little gal in the second row, wearing an oversize US army field jacket, stands up, turns around and in a voice that carries to the third balcony screams:

"Shut the f!ck up! Aintchoo got no respeck?!"

The place went nuts and even Doc Watson was grinning. He finished his set in peace and quiet.

=K

No thanks. I don't react in violent ways. That is core to my belief. FTR, I'm a clerk, not a cleric. My understanding of this is relative to the discussion. Perhaps that's the most appropriate way of my thinking of things.

And no, if it were fans, the band and venue has ample means of coping with unruly crowds.

I'd personally not bother trying to silence a screaming child in a congregation because it's not in my care, and is the child's parent responsibility for their behavior, not mine. Remind me what large seashells signify for communication, and we'll chat.

It's called humor man. Ya know, not meant to be taken seriously? Lighten up dude. :rolleyes:

It's called humor man. Ya know, not meant to be taken seriously? Lighten up dude. :rolleyes:

I hear ya. When someone says something remotely aggressive (the throat punch you had said), I don't know if someone is suggesting something wrong, or trying to be funny. Just being cautious. No harm done. It's this darn PC world of ours. I just gotta be careful these days.

Back