How to best bring an older CE-24 back to life?

cshallcross

Looking for some general advice here. I picked up a '98 CE-24 in a trade not too long ago, and it has been modified but not what I would call "heavily." It has Suhr pups in place, a coil tap on the tone pot, and a 6-way freeway toggle.

So, here is the annoying stuff:

1. Both pots need to go. The volume crackles and is noisy when used, and the tone does the same. The coil tap does nothing, so I'm guessing it's not really setup properly.

2. The freeway toggle has 5 positions that work, with one cutting out the signal almost 100%. Sadly, it still allows for the guitar to be heard, just very brittle with almost no volume.

3. The guitar sounds a bit dull/not resonant when playing above the 12th fret. The bridge seems gtg, but I'm wondering if something is off with the springs or something else I can't think of. Nothing bottoms out and there aren't any dead notes, its just very flat sounding.

I would love to have the electronics pulled out and setup with a new volume, tone, and 5 way rotary if the Suhr pickups will allow for it. Not really sure what else I should look into doing. Any thoughts?

Debating sending it off to PTC but shipping a guitar also terrifies me. I know the work would be first rate, I just don't have great luck with shipping as people seem to really enjoy stealing my stuff it seems.

Get a good hard case and ship it to PTC with insurance. This way, you can have PTC repair you ce the way you want it.

If you can solder then go to support page at prs site. Look up a guitar that has the switching configuration you're after then go for it.

Things I Would check. Since this thing has been jacked with. Check that the neck screws are correct. Two longer ones two shorter ones. Check that the strap buttons have the correct screws, before the button comes off and guitar hits the floor.

Make sure trem is set correctly and fulcrum screws are even. Only adjust fulcrum screws with zero tension.

Intonate guitar with fresh strings.

One of my beater CEs had the neck screws switched around. Long ones sticking through pickup cavity. I only noticed because I couldn't screw neck pickup down, it would hit those neck screws.

Point is, you don' know what some fool has done to it prior to you. Give it a good check.

Good luck.

The 12th fret thing could be a neck adjustment, and it could also be unevenly worn frets. I rehabbed an 03 CE, and it desperately needed a fret dressing, which Philtone Music in Baltimore did for me. Check the trem and the tremscrews as well. If the guitar was abused very frequently, adjustments would be made to the bridge at full string tension. This would destroy both the screws and the screw holes on the trem. Mine was destroyed, so I had to replace the trem as well. It wouldn't stay in tune because of this.

Looking for some general advice here. I picked up a '98 CE-24 in a trade not too long ago, and it has been modified but not what I would call "heavily." It has Suhr pups in place, a coil tap on the tone pot, and a 6-way freeway toggle.

So, here is the annoying stuff:

1. Both pots need to go. The volume crackles and is noisy when used, and the tone does the same. The coil tap does nothing, so I'm guessing it's not really setup properly.

2. The freeway toggle has 5 positions that work, with one cutting out the signal almost 100%. Sadly, it still allows for the guitar to be heard, just very brittle with almost no volume.

3. The guitar sounds a bit dull/not resonant when playing above the 12th fret. The bridge seems gtg, but I'm wondering if something is off with the springs or something else I can't think of. Nothing bottoms out and there aren't any dead notes, its just very flat sounding.

I would love to have the electronics pulled out and setup with a new volume, tone, and 5 way rotary if the Suhr pickups will allow for it. Not really sure what else I should look into doing. Any thoughts?

Debating sending it off to PTC but shipping a guitar also terrifies me. I know the work would be first rate, I just don't have great luck with shipping as people seem to really enjoy stealing my stuff it seems.

1. A cleaning could do the pots some good and allow you to avoid having to replace them

2. Possibly an out of phase position.

3. Like others suggested, potential setup or fret issue.

The Suhr pickups should be four conductor, which will work just fine with a rotary.

Can't imagine why shipping would be terrifying. That guitar is solid as hell. PRS ship guitars in nothing but a case or gig bag in a double wall box.

1. A cleaning could do the pots some good and allow you to avoid having to replace them

2. Possibly an out of phase position.

3. Like others suggested, potential setup or fret issue.

The Suhr pickups should be four conductor, which will work just fine with a rotary.

Can't imagine why shipping would be terrifying. That guitar is solid as hell. PRS ship guitars in nothing but a case or gig bag in a double wall box.

Moved to a new neighborhood and it’s pretty much still transitioning. We have insane issues currently with almost all packages being stolen prior to making it into the system, or they get marked “out for delivery” which so far has resulted in everything sent to the house going missing. This is both due to theft at the porch (even with camera on), or somehow the truck never shows up and it’s never delivered and we’re just told it’s missing.

I cannot in good faith ship to PTC expecting to ever see my guitar again.

I kid you not. Driving down some of the streets near us and you can just see boxes in the side of the road ripped open. Police say they don’t have the funding to patrol the area or follow up with many theft complaints.

Moved to a new neighborhood and it’s pretty much still transitioning. We have insane issues currently with almost all packages being stolen prior to making it into the system, or they get marked “out for delivery” which so far has resulted in everything sent to the house going missing. This is both due to theft at the porch (even with camera on), or somehow the truck never shows up and it’s never delivered and we’re just told it’s missing.

I kid you not. Driving down some of the streets near us and you can just see boxes in the side of the road ripped open. Police say they don’t have the funding to patrol the area or follow up with many theft complaints.

I typically have higher value items (guitars, jewelry, tequila recently) shipped to the local FedEx or USPS holding location. Some are company stores, some are places like Drug stores (ie, Walgreens). If you create an account with either company, you can redirect any shipment to be held there and only released to you on your signature. Quite convenient and very secure. If its something you really value (like the tequila), best to be safe! I'm picking up my new Westie at one tomorrow around noon!

Damn, that sucks! Deliver to work? Doesn't work for everyone (me included).

Or like WD said, have it held? I've had signature-required items sent to the nearest FedEx store. Maybe you can do the same with the UPS Store or the post office.

Back