How old of a guitar would you buy?

It’s so stable, I think maybe the neck wood became fossilized due to age! ;)

tenor.gif

If I was to buy a guitar from year I was born that would be 1966. Not sure what guitar would appeal to me from that year.... Les Paul or a Gretsch. Hmmmmmmm I’d probably would rather have an acoustic from that year.

I have PRS guitars from the late 90's that are in better condition than most "new" guitars hanging off the wall in GC. If you can't actually inspect the instrument in person, I would ask for plenty of good pics. Personally, I prefer PRS guitars from the 90's and I have never had a bad experience. They're built pretty well and I don't hear of many problems at all.

About 5 months ago, I bought a 92 EG II with 3 Fralin Dominos. It's my favorite of all time. Birth year guitar? Oy! Not much choice in electrics from 51 that I want.

I’ve seen many used prs guitars on reverb from 1995 and even below that still sell for a considerable price... I was originally looking for something no older than a 2007ish model, but what do you think?
Are there any risks in getting a 20-year-old guitar?

I owned a Fender from 1956, a few Gibsons from 1961, and still own a 335 from 1968. They are and were mighty fine guitars. 20 years old for a guitar is still new!

My oldest guitars:
65 Gibson acoustic. Didn't buy it. It was my dads guitar.
79 Ibanez Artist
86 Fender Eric Clapton Strat

Oldest PRS - 97 Custom 22

Sorry, that didn't answer the question, did it? (Since I've owned all those guitars for years). I'd buy any age guitar if I loved it and the condition was acceptable for the price.

I love old guitars, but seem to prefer new PRS. I have a PRS from 2003, 2008, 2014 and 2015 and I just prefer the newer ones. I gigged the 2003 for years and years, so it is part of my DNA, but these days it sits in its case feeling unloved.
It may not be that the newer guitars speak to me, maybe more that I prefer the thinner neck profile over the slightly fatter necks??

Who knows, so I guess my point is, if it speaks to you, buy it, no matter the year.

Some of the older ones are absolute gems. They're made to a very high standard, so as long as it appears to have been well looked after, I don't think you'd be disappointed.

I don't really own any "old" guitars... 20 years or so is as far back as I go... I'd love a birth year Strat (1962) and I'd be willing to pay out for one if I found the right one... nearly bought a '62 Jag about 5 years ago but it was just too heavy...

My '92 Custom resonates like crazy, plays wonderfully and sounds great!!
I would not really be bothered by the year of construction, but I would choose depending on features and condition.
I like the HFS pickups, winged tuners etc, I liked the specific quilt 10" top and the colourful birds on the specific guitar so I bought it and I did not regret it.

I made the comment above about looking for a 63-64 Strat. I failed to mention one of my current favorite guitars is my 1972 Gibson 325. Not to worry! My favorite guitars are my two PRS':cool: But I love this 325. It's the only guitar I've ever purchased without playing. I got it from Gruhn Guitar and I discussed it with a friend, Steve Krenz, the instructor of Gibson Learn and Master Guitar fame before buying. He had actually used it on one of his Live Lessons.

It is just like new and I probably play it about every day. I don't know what the deal was with it. Apparently someone had it and just hung it on a wall or had it in the case under the bed for 40 years. It was sure never gigged. Which worked out great for me!;)

I'm late to the party.

I wouldn't let age be a factor, but if a guitar is more than 10 years old I expect to pay for a setup at the least, and probably a fret mill. Over 20,'possibly new frets.

I wouldn't buy an older guitar to save money, I'd be getting it because it's something special.

I’ve seen many used prs guitars on reverb from 1995 and even below that still sell for a considerable price... I was originally looking for something no older than a 2007ish model, but what do you think?
Are there any risks in getting a 20-year-old guitar?
I within the last year i bought two guitars from 1991 and love them. A lot of old guitars have been kept under the bed. in nearly unplayed condition, don't be afraid to check them out.

Back