How old of a guitar would you buy?

titansfan4196

I’ve seen many used prs guitars on reverb from 1995 and even below that still sell for a considerable price... I was originally looking for something no older than a 2007ish model, but what do you think?
Are there any risks in getting a 20-year-old guitar?

No risks as far as I am concerned. I am pretty picky about things that old when they are in a certain price range. I ask for a lot of pictures, I ask a lot of questions. Even outside the PRS world, I try to be informed as much as possible about what I am buying. I will read and research A LOT before I buy. I spent a few years buying vintage Fender amps. I was sure to know what I was supposed to be getting before contacting a seller. Of course, every now and then I'd get something that was not what it seemed - in a bad way. I call those circumstances a "learning experience".

Personally, I find buying an older guitar WAY easier than an old amp. But still, ask questions and ask for pictures!!

I don't really care too much about age; I'm more of a condition kind of person. That being said, I got no problem with a bit of good ol' fashioned character, provided someone's definition of character isn't a snapped neck in 3 spots and a Van Halen style Sawzall experiment.

I've owned one as old as a '33 Epiphone Olympic, to several Guilds made in the '60's, and my "never will be sold" '84 Guild acoustic. My PRS Hollowbody is an '08, still a baby as far as I'm concerned!

If the guitar is great the age doesn't matter.

I picked up a '91 in near mint condition. Looks and plays like new. I bought a 2011 513 that's beat to snot. Frets were in good shape, while the finish is roached. It has some good mojo! Depends what you're looking for. If you find something you like, an the condition is acceptable to you, I would not hesitate to hop on it.

I recently purchased, last week, a 1995 McCarty Model in like new condition. Older guitars in great shape are out there. Don't let their age scare you off.

if you can put hands and eyes on it, and it is what they say it is, and worth what you have in your wallet, then buy it. If you have to go by pictures only, offer less and hope for the best. Age can be meaningless depending on a lot of factors, so don't base your pricing on age alone. It may be vintage, but could be a total wreck too.

Best of Luck

Wait....PRS hasn't been making guitars for 59 years! :eek:

Don't worry, I've prepared for this:

Ted Mccarty had a huge influence on PRS and PRSh, and was the namesake for my personal guitar. Soooo, owning an important piece of Ted McCarty's legacy is like having a piece of PRS history.

Are you buying it?

Ted Mccarty had a huge influence on PRS and PRSh, and was the namesake for my personal guitar. Soooo, owning an important piece of Ted McCarty's legacy is like having a piece of PRS history.

Are you buying it?

Ha! Good logic! I'm on board!

The only items I would worry about on the older ones would be 1) fret wear, 2) wood cracks in the neck pocket if a bolt-on model, and 3) unwanted modifications. Some sellers understate fret wear, or even try to hide it by raising the action. Wood cracks in a bolt-on pocket can be a fairly expensive repair. I read somewhere that the usual "fix" is basically setting the bolt-on neck. Modifications can be good or bad. I'm not sure I'd take a chance on a modified PRS without playing it first unless the seller has a return policy (or at least includes the original parts).

All that said, my 1990 EG has serious mojo that my 2008 just doesn't have yet, and it will be worth every penny when I end up having to get her refretted. If her neck pocket ever cracked, I'd pony up for whatever the fix would cost me, too.

I like older guitars are long are there’s no structural problems. My last purchase a week ago was a 1991 Cust24, some dings and scratches nice mojo and plays beautiful after I set it up properly.

Also love new one too :D

Are you buying it?
It never crossed my mind to use that logic when I bought a Les Paul prototype, but it almost makes sense.

As to the original question: there is no reason to shy away from any PRS regardless of age.

The only items I would worry about on the older ones would be 1) fret wear, 2) wood cracks in the neck pocket if a bolt-on model, and 3) unwanted modifications. Some sellers understate fret wear, or even try to hide it by raising the action. Wood cracks in a bolt-on pocket can be a fairly expensive repair. I read somewhere that the usual "fix" is basically setting the bolt-on neck. Modifications can be good or bad. I'm not sure I'd take a chance on a modified PRS without playing it first unless the seller has a return policy (or at least includes the original parts).

All that said, my 1990 EG has serious mojo that my 2008 just doesn't have yet, and it will be worth every penny when I end up having to get her refretted. If her neck pocket ever cracked, I'd pony up for whatever the fix would cost me, too.

WELL SAID! Can’t agree more.

Back