How often to polish and tune-up your guitar?

How the heck did we get on the subject of hammers?

Because I’ve got The Hammer Of The Gods right here:

9jbLbz1.jpg

Meantime, I only change strings when I have to, because I hate doing it. But my hands are pretty dry, I rotate among them, and I keep the guitars cased when not in use.

For cleaning, as others have mentioned, I use a clean, damp microfiber cloth every so often, and dry with another clean one. Every once in a blue moon - like, maybe every other year or less - I’ll use the PRS cleaner that puts on a nice shine with no abrasives after cleaning the guitar with the damp microfiber.

I think I did that on one of my guitars three years ago. ;)

I only use abrasive polish if the guitar gets a swirl mark or scratch (most polishes have mild abrasives that remove swirl marks, etc.). The less you use abrasive polishes, the better, as far as I’m concerned.

In any case, my guitars look brand new, and are clean and shiny with minimal maintenance. I’m fussy.

As to fretboards, I’ll clean them with so-called lemon oil if they’re groty, and then wipe the stuff off, and seal the fretboard with a wood polish as PRS recommends. That happens extremely rarely, but as I said, I have very dry hands so no issues. ‘Lemon oil’ is actually naphtha (lighter fluid). It doesn’t add oil, it evaporates oil, that’s why they use it in dry cleaning.

The fretboards get shinier-looking after using naphtha, but all it’s done is leech oil out of the wood and bring it to the surface. It’s really not all that good for the wood.

Last edited:
I'm the goober...
That’s not a revelation. :D

I’m the naughty one that gets his guitars very dirty and only cleans them maybe monthly. Fortunately, my body chemistry isn’t caustic so nothing tarnishes quickly. The strings will get wiped off after a practice or gig, but the rest doesn’t get a real cleaning until I notice the smudges and fingerprints. The Vela has such a thin finish, it doesn’t get much cleaning...thinner than a satin ME, or so it seems. It’s not like I’m eating pizza while playing (I don’t know what you thought you saw last night, but that’s not what was happening at the gig :rolleyes:).

My ears tell me when to change strings, like they go way south after a string bend, or sound dead. I don't have any case queens, they all get played because they all sound different. I'd say I average about 10-12 playing hours between string changes. The fretboards get a light wiping with nomad fretboard oil once a year. The body of the guitar is kept clean with Meguiar's liquid cleaner polish as necessary. The neck gets rewaxed every string change. I take care of my tools.

Last edited:
I set up a guitar when I get it, put my strings in it, adjust action to taste, tweak the truss rod if needed. After that, I change strings every month or month and a half on guitars getting a lot of use, less on guitars I’m playing less. I’ll sort of clean the dust off when I change strings. Other than that I don’t mess with em, don’t polish them, don’t oil stuff, don’t clean em, just play em. If one develops a problem I try to address it or take it to someone who can. I only have one guitar I’ve done any mods on - my dirt cheap P90 tele got nicer P90s. Otherwise, I just play em.

I had a Martin D28 that during the time I had it lived in the Arizona Desert, the Olympic Rain Forest, and in Pennsylvania’s cold (dry indoors) winters. I had to have the neck re-set on that a couple of times. Most of my gear needs very very little work. During the same set of transitions, my strat just got new strings periodically...

I change strings fairly often, depending on how much I’m playing because I like the strings bright. Probably every couple of weeks to a month.

I intonate when it sounds a little out. I rarely have to adjust relief or action, I’m in CA.

I have NEVER cleaned my guitars. Occasionally I wipe off the pick dust.

I change strings often (once a month maybe) based on the sound dulling out but it depends on the brand... I like everything to sound bright. I find that I can keep Optiwebs on longer than I can keep the NYXLs on.

I have never polished my guitars. I guess I never felt the need to do so. If I see a bunch of fingerprints then I wipe them off but that’s about it.

I do clean/oil the fretboards whenever they look dirty/dry. I used to do this WAY too frequently until I saw a damaged board in a shop that was apparently caused by too much cleaning and oiling (the wood had softened to the point where deep finger sized dents could be seen). I only oil mine up maybe twice a year now and I’m careful about how much oil I use.

My guns are a totally different story. Shot 300 rounds yesterday and within an hour of arriving back home, those guns were on the table with cleaner, oil, and some Q-tips. Lol.

Back