How much money do you have tied up in your gear?

What's your estimate of the total amount you have spent on your current/largest amount of gear?

• Total voters
I figure it’s not what I spend, it’s what I earn in net profit with the gear.

OK, call me a capitalist swine. ;)
nothing wrong with that.
I kept a pay/expense tally when I was touring the north country, mostly to do a reality check on if it would be viable long term. After 3 years it was obvious that it wasn’t the way I wanted to be living when I turned 40 (irrespective of the dollar math).
So...I took my pre med qualifications and set out to fulfill my ‘real world’ master plan.

nothing wrong with that.
I kept a pay/expense tally when I was touring the north country, mostly to do a reality check on if it would be viable long term. After 3 years it was obvious that it wasn’t the way I wanted to be living when I turned 40 (irrespective of the dollar math).
So...I took my pre med qualifications and set out to fulfill my ‘real world’ master plan.

I get it!

I started out with a backup plan of getting a law degree, and wasn’t planning to actually practice, but when I got the degree, I practiced for 15 years before breaking out of the mold and doing music full-time. 30 years later, I still think I made the right call going into music (my wife might not agree ;)).

Whether I wasted those early years when one establishes a reputation by practicing law, I can’t say; people definitely thought of me as a lawyer, not a musician, for a long time, and that was a drag and a hurdle to overcome in my early days of music.

Believe it or not, practicing law turned out to be a good entree into scoring music to picture, because scoring is all about listening, team collaboration, stick-to-it stubbornness, and paying attention to details. But that’s 20/20 hindsight, of course.

I’ve thought it’s kind of a shame that people pigeonhole others based on preconceptions, but “Welcome to the real world, Les!”

wetalnus.jpg

Best laugh I’ve had in ages! And I did nearly pee myself!

Ummm... define ‘gear’.

I want to make sure that I provide an accurate answer.

I'm not answering the poll, because I'm in denial about how much I have spent on gear, especially PRSi and PRS amps.

I said I'd never be able to afford a PS, and I still can't, yet somehow I have far more than a PS-worth of $$$ invested in PRSi.

On a related note, I was tidying up my CD (and related media) collection on the weekend, and I realized that I had invested a significant chunk of cash there too, especially since I can't listen to it as much as I'd like. I still haven't broken the shrink wrap on my Pink Floyd The Wall box set, for example.

Back