How much money do you have tied up in your gear?

What's your estimate of the total amount you have spent on your current/largest amount of gear?

• Total voters
I voted. I answered the number for all guitars/gear not just PRS. Was that the intent?
Yep, everything. Looks like we have significant amounts "investing" in music. I've thought that there are worse things to be addicted to. Drugs being the worst I suppose. But cars, and cameras, watches and bikes along with a very long list of other things can also sink a lot of money into the pit. I think, all things considered, this is one of the better addictions you can have.

And for those in the lower brackets, don't feel bad, you are either very lucky, or just starting out. ;)

Huh??? I mean, I don’t care if anyone knows what I voted. I was just telling him that he could vote without disclosing his number to the group. Is that not true? I see no way to see who voted what, only that my vote is highlighted on my screen. Am I missing something???
I didn't know it but Dave did... (below).

I have to admit, if I had just waited til now to collect every Line 6 amp ever made, instead of buying them all at retail new, I could have saved thousands! The promise of every amp you ever wanted in one box, was just too good to pass up.

It’s likely that those with the larger gear tally have been at the acquiring a bit longer, too. If you divided it by the years invested in making music, it’s not as surprising. The result of invested money and pack-rattery :)

I'm going to abstain. Years ago I tossed this 'n' that into the car to drive across town and play for the first time with what turned out to be a band that lasted for a few years. On that first trip I idly started adding up the prices I'd paid for the gear in the car... and scared myself pretty bad. Stopped counting dollars right then and there, and haven't done it since (yes it's insured, no I haven't totaled up The Big Number in a long time). It's only gotten worse in the meantime.

I’m around the middle of the chart. I suppose I’m like a lot of the hobbyists here in that I don’t have a lot of spare money for gear, what with all the bills and mouths to feed, but I’ve had a lot of time to accumulate some nice gear.

Over the years I’ve gradually traded my way up, selling off the squires and epiphones for Fenders and, well not Gibsons (I’ve never actually owned one) but their equivalents. I now consider that I have a nice selection of USA, Japanese and British built guitars, amps and pedals.

I was a little surprised to roughly work that the difference between what I actually paid for my gear and what it is actually worth now is about the same. I’ve bought lots of stuff second hand and some of it has started to appreciate, to the point that it just about cancels out the depreciation on the bits that I bought new. So I’m kind of happy with that.

Back