How much money do you have tied up in your gear?

What's your estimate of the total amount you have spent on your current/largest amount of gear?

• Total voters

AP515

Mostly Normal
This may be a sensitive subject, but here goes. How much money do we all have tied up in our gear? I know there are many here who have tons more than me. I'm probably middle of the road. Still it might be interesting to find out. So, guitars, amps, cabs, pedals, mics, cables, lighting, recording, everything but the room to store them all in. Don't include all the money that is lost on gear that is traded or sold, but only the stuff that could physically be in one location at the same time, as in your current inventory, or what was in your inventory at the peak of your affliction. How far down the rabbit hole can one go?

If you want to remain anonymous just answer the poll but don't talk about it until we have a few numbers entered and then you can talk about "a friend of yours".

Voted

(you know you can correct the typo in the thread title, right? )

Last edited by a moderator:
My old analog studio had a very large amount invested in gear. My current studio much less so. But since you did say “have” I put down the highest amount, that peaked around 2005.

I no longer have most of that stuff, so don’t get excited and decide you’re going to do a burglary. It won’t be worth your while.

To put it in perspective, I had $20,000 invested in custom wiring, AC power, signal cabling and patch bays. Things really added up when I bought the gear to attach to the wiring...:eek:

Mine’s just an estimate; it could be off give or take about 20K.

Last edited:
I don’t want to add it up, but a lot. More than I have in bicycles, less than the house.

I can comfortably say this as well. Especially since the two bikes a Huffy for the Mrs, and a 15 year old Specialized Rockhopper for me. Heck, I can even count the Pro-Form Tour de France stationary bike, too.

Don't you guys start about bicycles!! I have been building my own bikes for many years and still doing that up to today. Bicycles and the costs are a painful subject around this household, best to be avoided. :D

If the votes continue this way, I won't feel anywhere near guilty for having so much money tied up in gear, if anything, I may end up feeling inadequate and have to buy more!! LMAO

Don't you guys start about bicycles!! I have been building my own bikes for many years and still doing that up to today. Bicycles and the costs are a painful subject around this household, best to be avoided. :D
So...rigid mountain, road, cross, fixie, 29er single speed, squishy mountain, fattie, high racer, mid racer, trike...

I voted based on my "current" gear inventory, my herd has expanded and contracted over my lifetime and I can't recall what it looked like when it was at it's "largest".

Back