How much did the Tube Screamer cost in 1979?

Keith Williams

Ok, I'm old enough to have been there but also old enough to not remember (if that makes sense.) . So the question is, can anyone tell me how much the original Tube Screamers cost at the time of their release in 1979?

I'm working on a video on the history and thought I had the script done only to realize that I hadn't come across this anywhere in my research. I think it could be very telling when the world we live in now includes any number of $200 overdrives, that might seem expensive when in fact it's simple inflation.

Thanks in advance. I'm sure one of you has one "NIB" with the original box price tagged and all.

Best,
Keith
five watt world

Hey Keith,

I checked some reference stuff in Analog Mike’s book but didn’t see a price. Ibanez still has their catalog online, but again, price lists are MIA.

https://www.ibanez.com/usa/support/catalogs/19790101000013.html

I, like many, had tons of those vintage boxes. And like most, I can’t even remember what I did with them. Gold in the trash.

I’ll bet some of our long time dealers like Gretz would know. I’m going to guess $70-ish.

IIRC, somewhere about $79 to $89 in the 70s. The price increased to $99 during the 90's and remained that way for a while. With the advent of the TS Deluxe (4 knob version) prices rose (the TSD slightly more by about $10 to $15) and the original TS was about the same. This may not be exactly what prices were, but this is what I remember...

$80 bucks in the 80s? No wonder I never bought one. The DOD pedals were like $40, and that was too rich for me to get more than one at the time.

Ok, I guess I should have trusted "commerce" all along as I was able to find a '79, '80 and '81 Ibanez price sheet for sale on Reverb. The Jan '79 does not list the TS808. It lists the OD that had before that, the OD855. But the May '80 price list has it (top left corner) for $50. So it seem the German vintage dealers info was right all along. Good to know. Check it out here.

https://reverb.com/item/28960368-vi...rs-basses-price-list-rare-original-case-candy

Thanks to everyone for your help on this. Hope to have the video out late this week.

Last edited:
Ok, I'm old enough to have been there but also old enough to not remember (if that makes sense.) . So the question is, can anyone tell me how much the original Tube Screamers cost at the time of their release in 1979?

I'm working on a video on the history and thought I had the script done only to realize that I hadn't come across this anywhere in my research. I think it could be very telling when the world we live in now includes any number of $200 overdrives, that might seem expensive when in fact it's simple inflation.

Thanks in advance. I'm sure one of you has one "NIB" with the original box price tagged and all.

Best,
Keith
five watt world

Regrettably, I have no input as I wasn’t born yet when they were released that year.

Back