How Metal - I Went Into Frankie Mode!

alantig

Zombie Four, DFZ
It's not like I play out or anything, but I always kind of liked what Frankie did with his iron crosses, and I thought maybe someday I'd try to find something similar.

And I did.

As geese_com knows (probably all too well!), I a Doctor Who fan. And I really like the Weeping Angels - they're enemies of the Doctor, statues that can move if you're not looking at them.

weeping_angels_by_mooneymcmooneykins-d3jv77x.jpg

weeping_angels_by_ranilover1414-d4jisme.png

So I did some searching, found someone online, and tonight I did my first experiment. I didn't have the balls to do this to a PRS yet, so I decided to order a couple for my non-PRS metal guitars. The first victim was my Jackson Rhoads. I think I'm going to be ordering more of these!

jrrangel1.jpg

jrrangel2.jpg

How metal is that? :rock:

I wish I could find a full-on face view like the poster, but I'll take what I can get!

Weeping Angels creep me out every time! PM me please on where you got them. I'll probably put some on other cases, etc.

As a huge Dr Who fan, I highly approve of this thread
dr-who-smile-tardis.gif

Did not watch the two specials yesternight, but they are on my DVR to watch later today.

The sticker looks great on your Jackson!

A number of people at work really like this show. Can't say I have ever really watched it. Sticker looks cool on the Jackson. I have always wanted a Rhoads.

As a huge Dr Who fan, I highly approve of this thread
dr-who-smile-tardis.gif

Did not watch the two specials yesternight, but they are on my DVR to watch later today.

The sticker looks great on your Jackson!

Nice! geese_com and I found out that we both watched by accident at Experience last year - I don't even remember how it came up, but at one point he said, "I can't believe I'm talking about Doctor Who at Experience!"

No spoilers, but I thought the Christmas special was excellent. I've read some reviews that weren't as kind about the story, but it wasn't really about the story, it was about Matt Smith.

Did you get a chance to see Day Of The Doctor in the theater? It was a pretty cool experience seeing it for a second time but in a large crowd. Even though you knew what was going to happen, something about the energy of the group made the stuff hit just as hard the second time.

A number of people at work really like this show. Can't say I have ever really watched it. Sticker looks cool on the Jackson. I have always wanted a Rhoads.

I wanted a Rhoads for years. Things fell into place last year w/WMC - I'd actually tried this guitar a couple years ago on my way to Experience. It was something of a holy grail for me.

I sometimes wonder if DW is a love it/hate it thing. For us, I watched the Christmas Carol special a couple years ago as my first ep - I'd tried to watch decades ago, but the show played on PBS and wasn't always regularly scheduled. This time I was hooked - it was the first year they ran the special in the US the same day as the UK. I told my son he might like the show, and he watched a repeat of a David Tennant episode a day or two later, and he was HOOKED. Hard core. To the point where he pretty much only wears Doctor Who T-shirts now and recognizes episodes when he sees about three seconds of one.

I had one for a short while.......played and sounded amazing but could not get used to the way it hangs on a strap. I really wanted to love it but had to move it on.

sticker looks great!

Thanks! The hang of the guitar is something I'm still adjusting to. What I found really odd, and it's still giving me some trouble, is that apparently I get a visual cue for my hand position from the body of the guitar. Not having any horns is throwing me at times. What bugs me about that is that I used to play a V shape a ton years ago, and I don't remember having any problems with that. I mean, it can't be the lack of practicing...

One thing about this guitar is it's given me a whole new appreciation for ergonomics and how PRS just gets it right. The control positions are limited by the body shape, but the toggle switch seems so hard to access on this. That, and I'm not sure I see the logic behind a V-T-T config. V-V-T seems much more logical to me if I'm going to have three pots instead of two or four. Plus, the trem and Floyd are all kind of jammed together, but on this shape, there's not a lot you can do about that.

Nice! geese_com and I found out that we both watched by accident at Experience last year - I don't even remember how it came up, but at one point he said, "I can't believe I'm talking about Doctor Who at Experience!"

No spoilers, but I thought the Christmas special was excellent. I've read some reviews that weren't as kind about the story, but it wasn't really about the story, it was about Matt Smith.

Did you get a chance to see Day Of The Doctor in the theater? It was a pretty cool experience seeing it for a second time but in a large crowd. Even though you knew what was going to happen, something about the energy of the group made the stuff hit just as hard the second time.
No, I saw Day Of The Doctor about three weeks back on BBC, and my DVR tried to record it again yesternight as a new show, but actually it is a repeat since I saw it.

I have been watching reruns most of the day on BBC of Dr Who, and will fire up my DVR later to watch the Matt Smith farewell, and the Christmas special.
I hate seeing Matt leave, I think he is the best one yet, although I enjoyed David Tenant too.
And Clara makes a great companion, even though I think Amy Pond was my favorite.

I may watch the Day Of The Doctor special again later.
Plenty of time, I do not go back to work until the 6th.

In the theater, it was kind of surreal. My son got the bug much harder than I did, and Tennant is his favorite. I haven't seen much of the Tennant stuff (I watched a couple chunks today, but I was afraid I wouldn't get anything done!). Smith is my favorite - I just love the attitude of the character. Seeing it in the theater with a bunch of hard-cores was cool, though - I'm sure everyone had seen it already (I toyed with the idea of waiting, but there was no way I could hold out), but the big moments hit just as hard as they did the first time. The big gasp when Tennant said, "I don't want to go." The almost but not quite restrained cheer when he first appeared. The applause when Baker showed up. And all the laugh lines. The 3D even worked pretty well.

I wasn't sure I was a big fan of how they first brought Clara along, but I really like the character. Loved the Ponds, too, and their farewell episode is probably my favorite of the shows I've seen. Karen Gillan's appearance in the Matt Smith Farewell special was a shock - I hadn't realized she had shaved her head for a movie role.

I wanted a Rhoads for years. Things fell into place last year w/WMC - I'd actually tried this guitar a couple years ago on my way to Experience. It was something of a holy grail for me.

I sometimes wonder if DW is a love it/hate it thing. For us, I watched the Christmas Carol special a couple years ago as my first ep - I'd tried to watch decades ago, but the show played on PBS and wasn't always regularly scheduled. This time I was hooked - it was the first year they ran the special in the US the same day as the UK. I told my son he might like the show, and he watched a repeat of a David Tennant episode a day or two later, and he was HOOKED. Hard core. To the point where he pretty much only wears Doctor Who T-shirts now and recognizes episodes when he sees about three seconds of one.

Thanks! The hang of the guitar is something I'm still adjusting to. What I found really odd, and it's still giving me some trouble, is that apparently I get a visual cue for my hand position from the body of the guitar. Not having any horns is throwing me at times. What bugs me about that is that I used to play a V shape a ton years ago, and I don't remember having any problems with that. I mean, it can't be the lack of practicing...

One thing about this guitar is it's given me a whole new appreciation for ergonomics and how PRS just gets it right. The control positions are limited by the body shape, but the toggle switch seems so hard to access on this. That, and I'm not sure I see the logic behind a V-T-T config. V-V-T seems much more logical to me if I'm going to have three pots instead of two or four. Plus, the trem and Floyd are all kind of jammed together, but on this shape, there's not a lot you can do about that.

That's my biggest complaint with playing other brands. I like where everything is located on PRS stuff, it's comfortable to use.

It's weird how the different brands affect how I think about how some of the controls. It's kind of brand-specific for me.

The Les Paul/Tremonti thing I get, the way the volume and tone pots are positioned. The fact that switching between the two throws me sometimes doesn't surprise me.

But when I play the Petrucci, I constantly seem to be reaching for the coil tap. It doesn't have one, and I know that, but I still reach for it. That never happens when I play the Tremonti, which also doesn't tap. And I spent a lot of my formative years playing an LP copy, so I'm used to the toggle being on the upper bout, but the PRS location on most guitars doesn't bother me. So why do I constantly accidentally hit the upper bout toggle switch on the Petrucci? It pretty much never happens on a singlecut.

On my PRS guitars with one volume, one tone, I never turn the tone knob thinking I'm going to affect the volume. I do that a lot on the Jackson.

I'd say maybe I should get rid of the ones that cause the confusion, but that would probably make my wife happy.

I wasn't sure I was a big fan of how they first brought Clara along, but I really like the character. Loved the Ponds, too, and their farewell episode is probably my favorite of the shows I've seen. Karen Gillan's appearance in the Matt Smith Farewell special was a shock - I hadn't realized she had shaved her head for a movie role.
When I first saw her head shaved I thought why did you cut off all the long pretty red hair?
Then I saw Matt had about a two week growth on a shaved head as well.
I was wondering why she had shaved her head, will have to look up what movie she is in.

Also on the reruns yesterday there was an episode I had seen before, but this time I recognized the second doctor from 1815 as being the villain Governor in the Walking Dead TV show.

It took me a couple minutes, but it finally clicked - Matt Smith with short hair made me think of Daniel Tosh.

Matt-Smith-Buzzcut.jpg

120716011141-daniel-tosh-1-story-top.jpg

Hey, I just fired up the show, and I see he was wearing a wig, so I guess he shaved his head for the show, and that is why he has short hair in the Matt Smith special.
And dang, Clara looks hot in that short red plaid skirt :D

That looks really cool. And I'm a huge Dr. Who fan as well!! The weeping angels have always creeped me out. Them and those things that you can't remember. (lol that I can't remember their names)

That looks really cool. And I'm a huge Dr. Who fan as well!! The weeping angels have always creeped me out. Them and those things that you can't remember. (lol that I can't remember their names)

The Silence!

Not sure why, but I latched onto the angels right away. If I were 7 or 8, I wouldn't be able to stay in the room when they were on.

In the episode when the Ponds get sent back to NY, the creepiest thing was the baby angels in the basement. The laugh - and the one that blew out the last match.

The Silence!

Not sure why, but I latched onto the angels right away. If I were 7 or 8, I wouldn't be able to stay in the room when they were on.

In the episode when the Ponds get sent back to NY, the creepiest thing was the baby angels in the basement. The laugh - and the one that blew out the last match.

The Silence always creep me out!

Hope everyone caught the specials around Christmas time.
I really enjoyed the one called "Of time and space" or something like that.
It was cool how they showed how the show was created, and the special guest at the very end of it.

Back