How many winds on phase iii

Luminandy

I am new to these tuners, and love them. So far I just pull em to almost tight, then maybe get a half a wrap around. I have had no problem with tuning stability. I was curious if this is just a preference thing, or does the amount of slack to be wrapped matter? I don't want to break strings, or put unessessary wear on the tuners. I used to wrap a bit more on the winged tuners. My strings usually go dead before I break them, unlike my co guitarist who breaks them often, and does a string change at least once a week (also has phase iii, and does one full wrap, but this is not a guitar or tuner specific thing for him. We all play differently).

I broke a high E string last night, man did I get pissed. I always forget that it don't take much, I guess I'm just so use to the wing type tuners.

I am new to these tuners, and love them. So far I just pull em to almost tight, then maybe get a half a wrap around. I have had no problem with tuning stability. I was curious if this is just a preference thing, or does the amount of slack to be wrapped matter? I don't want to break strings, or put unessessary wear on the tuners. I used to wrap a bit more on the winged tuners. My strings usually go dead before I break them, unlike my co guitarist who breaks them often, and does a string change at least once a week (also has phase iii, and does one full wrap, but this is not a guitar or tuner specific thing for him. We all play differently).
I took my Custom 24 to a free PTC setup event at a dealer. Skitchy was doing the setups and he told me it's very important for guitars with a trem that the string not wrap around enough to touch itself. I don't remember if he said it was a tuning stability issue or a string breaking issue. He did them just like you do.

The think I love about PRS locking tuners is that even though there's no "winding" around the tuning peg, the tension is buttery smooth and tuning stability is fantastic.

The think I love about PRS locking tuners is that even though there's no "winding" around the tuning peg, the tension is buttery smooth and tuning stability is fantastic.

Agreed. And, I pull them tight and go just past "finger tight" on the screws. Quarter turn with a coin. Never had a problem.

Great! Thanks everyone! I have only been tightening them by hand with no problems, but if I do, I will try the nickel trick. These tuners are so great! I could even change a string, stretch and tune it in a short enough time to just be a hiccup between songs in a live performance, but that is a reason to bring a spare.

I pull them quite tight by hand, and then tighten the screw quite tight too (only using fingers; never needed to use a nickel)

The tuners are great, the only problem I've found is getting the broken ball end out of the trem block quickly. I've put a Wrangler pick pocket on my strap with the hex key in it, as it could come in handy to push the string ball out.

I'm not fully used to how the winged type 1 tuners work (not had my CE24 long), for a rapid string change.

I use the back of a pick to tighten mine a little bit more than I can with my hand. And since it's plastic I know it's not going to be super (overly) tight.

Back