How many Private Stock does PRS build per year?

MrSuperstar

Blues Lawyer
Hi guys, it's been a while since I've been starting to enter the "boutique" world, both for pedals and guitars.
I learned A LOT about brands that I had no idea existed.

In particular, I was able to appreciate the work of the luthier Nik Huber, who according to his website produces about 240 guitars per year and Collings, who produces about 1000 guitars a year (acoustic and electric).

So, intrigued by this data, as I would be interested in having a PS built all for me, I wondered how many private stocks are produced per year, especially electric ones. But on the internet I have not found any data or interview about it. Anyone know anything about it?

A dealer on here just posted a new one for sale serial # 8657. PRS has been in bidness for 35 years.....so about 250/year?
Well, Private Stock program started in 1996, so it’s 25 years in business instead of 35. So about 350 guitars per year. Anyway it’s kinda cool to know that PRS build that very small quantity of PS guitars each year

But PRS hasn't had PS for the entire 35 years. I heard somewhere that it's about 50/month. Looking at a few dealer photos online and comparing PS numbers and dates, 50/month looks about right.

Just out of pure curiosity I got two estimates from the only two stores in Italy authorized to order a Private Stock, with all the specifications I wanted on the best guitar I can imagine.

PRS McCarty 594 Hollowbody II [standard italian price 5.000€ (= 6.000$)], with "Black Gold" finish (standard color). The upgrades are:
- AAAAA quality of the woods;
- Roasted woods;
- Black plastics instead of white
- "Birds of a feather" style on fretboard and headstock.

The guitar would look like this:
Foto-24-02-21-18-59-24.jpg

prs-hb594-blkgldw10-1.jpg

A truly stunning guitar but the cost left me thrilled, it's like 3 gibson custom shop

Last edited:
No that only applies to @DreamTheaterRules :D
man, you've got to keep up with the times. In the 70s, we wore SHORT SHORTS! :D

My daughter just cracks up looking at old high school and college basketball pictures. Now they wear nickers down past their knees and socks that don't even show outside their shoes. We wore socks up to our knees (many with stripes) and very short shorts.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's easy to find out just looking at the PS # and build date.

I recently graphed it to put to rest claims that the output had dramatically increased in recent years.
It's been a constant throughput over the last 7 years at about 2 PS guitars built per day (365 days, so it's a bit more than that in terms of working days):

Ghi0tbN.png

It's easy to find out just looking at the PS # and build date.

I recently graphed it to put to rest claims that the output had dramatically increased in recent years.
It's been a constant throughput over the last 7 years at about 2 PS guitars built per day (365 days, so it's a bit more than that in terms of working days):

Ghi0tbN.png
So my 50/month guess wasn't far off.

man, you've got to keep up with the times. In the 70s, we wore SHORT SHORTS! :D

My daughter just cracks up looking at old high school and college basketball pictures. Now they wear nickers down past their knees and socks that don't even show outside their shoes. We wore socks up to our knees (many with stripes) and very short shorts.

So a precursor to the Speedo then?!;)

Back