How many on here use modelers like Axe FX III/Helix/Kemper?

As someone else here will soon attest, the Atomic devices are KILLING it and the easy "best buy," "most bang for your buck" available today. And as I've discovered in the last few weeks, the higher you go up the FRFR scale, the better they sound. I mean, this makes sense, but many guys who say "not quite there" etc., if they played them with a higher end FRFR would be blown away.

Soon, hopefully!

I am only a home player, but took the plunge on a Helix LT a few months ago and really enjoy it.

I'm Kemper, we've recently gone IEM so there's not much point even taking a monitor... I've got a Kemper Powered Rack whcih I built a "cab" for which hides a Matrix CFR12 wedge in it. I can either use it as a "combo" or take the wedge out and use it more like a monitor.

I haven't been playing much guitar lately and have been singing more. Pretty funny rolling up to a gig with just my mic!

I just bought a Headrush FRFR-108 after I got home from NAMM where Boogie and I checked it out at the Headrush display. It's a small, light cab with an 8" speaker and a high frequency compression driver and 2000 watts (peak). It's really small and LOUD. I'll probably add a 2nd. I already have 2 of the big brother FRFR 112s that I gig with (using Headrush pedal or Kemper).

Last edited:
I just bought a Headrush FRFR-108 after I got home from NAMM where Boogie and I checked it out at the Headrush display. It's a small, light cab with an 8" speaker and a high frequency compression driver and 2000 watts (peak). It's really small and LOUD. I'll probably add a 2nd. I already have 2 of the big brother FRFR 112s that I gig with (using Headrush pedal or Kemper).
I was looking at these for home use since I have JBLs 305s currently, but miss the AITR sound. Price makes it hard to resist but I’ve read mixed reviews (isn’t that true of everything on the internet?). I don’t need volume so the more expensive ones aren’t of interest. The L6 PC looked interesting as a compromise.

EDIT: non-powered Kemper with floorboard, H9 in the loop. Home use only.

I was looking at these for home use since I have JBLs 305s currently, but miss the AITR sound. Price makes it hard to resist but I’ve read mixed reviews (isn’t that true of everything on the internet?). I don’t need volume so the more expensive ones aren’t of interest. The L6 PC looked interesting as a compromise.

EDIT: non-powered Kemper with floorboard, H9 in the loop. Home use only.

I just grabbed one of these based on the positive rantings of DTR. I'll be hooking it up Monday.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/CP8--qsc-cp8-1000w-8-inch-powered-speaker

I just grabbed one of these based on the positive rantings of DTR. I'll be hooking it up Monday.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/CP8--qsc-cp8-1000w-8-inch-powered-speaker
Cool, look forward to the review. Been difficult finding something that can do low volume and still sound decent. The JBLs sound ok, but still get a bit of a swirl effect and I can only dial in our media room so much. Wife wants me to get rid of them so a single speaker/monitor on the floor angled up might be a better way to go.

From what I can tell nearly everyone loves the Atomic CLR, but I don’t have the budget for 1k these days. Britt Xitone looks like a great fit for the Kemper, but the power is way overkill for my home situation. L6 PC could be a fit but not sure how well it gets along with a Kemper. New Kemper cab looks great, but not powered :mad:. HeadRush FRFR 108 is the right size and price, but not sure how the sound quality is at the volume level I need to use to make the wife happy.

From what I can tell nearly everyone loves the Atomic CLR, but I don’t have the budget for 1k these days. Britt Xitone looks like a great fit for the Kemper, but the power is way overkill for my home situation. L6 PC could be a fit but not sure how well it gets along with a Kemper. New Kemper cab looks great, but not powered :mad:. HeadRush FRFR 108 is the right size and price, but not sure how the sound quality is at the volume level I need to use to make the wife happy.
I use the XiTone MBritt at the studio, and a Yamaha DXR10 at home. The DXR has plenty of low end and is an amazing overall sound with excellent dispersion. Many use the DXR10/12/15 for home and gigging. Quite a few use 2 DXR10s for stereo on the Kemper. Should be able to find a used one for a good price. I did.:)

There's also a guy in the UK on the Kemper forum that had 2 DXR10s as stereo backline, then sold them to go FOH/IEM live.
He missed having the backline setup and bought 2 Headrush 12" FRFRs and absolutely loves them.

Kemper all the way. I still love my Dual Rectifier Roadster but lugging that damn thing around was starting to become a pain so once I tried a Kemper with my DGT, I never looked back.

I can tell you it’s top-notch. 11Top just took delivery of the FRFR 108 so I may get to directly audition soon. The factory rep told us that the frequency response was the same except for the bass which you’d expect with the difference between an 8” and 12” speaker. Same amplifier.

My 12” models are constantly complimented by my band mates, whether being used for my Kemper or as PA.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions! Been looking online for the past couple of days and seems like all of these would work well. Local GC has the Altso TS312 and QSC CP8, the others I could try via SW.

Curious for Steve’s thoughts on the HR 108 vs the 112 since he’s very familiar with the Kemper through those. That’s the most budget friendly which makes the wife happy. About the start the next home project - painting and wood cabinet refinishing. Sigh.

I want a powercab plus to go with my hx stomp, but although it gets rave reviews, it looks a bit too pricey against the headrush and the QSC...great to have choices

Love the helix amp modelling and software

[QUOTE="WA Paul, post: 453478, member: 16132

Curious for Steve’s thoughts on the HR 108 vs the 112 since he’s very familiar with the Kemper through those. That’s the most budget friendly which makes the wife happy. About the start the next home project - painting and wood cabinet refinishing. Sigh.[/QUOTE]

I’d get the 112s for rock gigging, but the 108s sound great. For bedroom playing I’d get the 108. I bought it for its portability; it’s so small and 19 lbs.

Both cabs are a bargain at $299 or $199 street.

I've played through a ton, even Atomic CLR... Still own Mission Gemini 2 (2x12 coaxial... plenty of power for days), Xitone MBritt (convertible open/closed back, also a coaxial 12" single speaker, pretty powerful), and a Line 6 Powercab Plus. Big loud, best sound favorite of anything I've played through FRFR is my
Gemini 2!!! When I want lightweight, the Line 6 Powercab plus. When I don't want to carry anything but JBL EON615 sidefill monitors we're already
setting up, they sound great and have plenty of volume.

I plug into all these with Line 6 Helix, Helix LT, and Axe FX III. Used to have Kemper, too. I've seriously mostly been using the JBL EON615 sidefill
monitors for most gigs this past year.

Back