How many on here use modelers like Axe FX III/Helix/Kemper?

Wasn’t a selling point of the Kemper that anyone could reasonably model their amps? I would bet a number of Kemper owners or their friends have some PRS amps?
The ‘pro’ profiles tend to be materially better. I have a couple of Archon profiles and HXDA ones, but they weren’t too close to my ear. I appreciate that the people who did them took the time to share them!

Britt did a number of profiles on the 3rd Power CSR amp (I used to have one) and those were pretty darn close to the real deal.

One thing the pros do is different mikes and speaker cab combos, along with different amp settings.

Nope, 100% old school over here.

RackPic9318.jpg
That’s one heck of a setup! Digging the Walnut too:)

I have profiles of the Marshall and Mesa preamps :D

I’m currently gigging with a Headrush board and two Headrush FRFR active 112s.

However, I also have a Kemper powered with a Fryette Power Station and a FRFR Xitone 212. I have a Xitone FRFR 112 wedge that I run in front of me as a guitar monitor (use with both rigs above).

I use a Line 6 Pod HD and Fender Mustang amp most of the time.

Used plenty of other modelling gear in the past too. I have no issues with it and it has it’s place. Love plugging straight into a valve amp with nothing in between too.

We’re spoilt for choice with quality gear these days!
As a former Mustang user, you owe it to yourself to try a Katana...

Kemper, non powered with foot controller and MBritt FRFR here.
That’s me, too. Sporting a pair of HeadRush 12” powered monitors, which do a darned good job. There’s a good chance that I’ll tackle profiling my own PRS amp, but if it gets professional assistance, I’ll share if possible.

And the MBritt CSR profiles make up my entire live performances, right now. The low gain F channel with Variac is just wow!

Yep, but at a compromise in sound. If I were gigging and needed something light, I'd easily make that compromise too.

I'm sure you know my post was very tongue in cheek. I have two Mesa's, a PRS, a Bogner and two fender tube amps, a floor full of pedals, and yes, even a couple rack effects left from back when I had a Peavey Rockmaster based rack rig. Lot of the digital stuff is finally getting really good, as long as you don't get caught up in option paralysis. I still find amps and pedals MUCH MUCH easier to dial in than modeler based amps and effects, and usually better sounding as well. But that stuff is getting close, and a legit "rig" in something the size of an AF3 is pretty remarkable for us older guys.

That said, still dig your rack. Which is not something I've ever said to a dude before. (Ok, I've never said it to anyone before, except my wife. Please don't roll your eyes like she did).

Last edited by a moderator:
Honestly, I play my tube amps less and less than the Axe FX 3 now. I could even get by on Helix...
It doesn't take me long to get a tone I'm looking for anymore as far as the base amp/cab. I still only use a handful or two of
different amp/cab tones. However, if I want to change one, it's an easy affair versus playing amp roulette on the internet.

I'll drag the pedalboard and an amp out and within 20 minutes, I'm ready to break a digital rig out. With
the Mission Gemini 2, I have plenty of air movement, too. Play a lot louder at home than I do out and about on stage.

I'm not an amp hater by any means, though. It's just gotten too easy to get what I'm looking for out of the new age digital stuff
anymore.

That’s me, too. Sporting a pair of HeadRush 12” powered monitors, which do a darned good job. There’s a good chance that I’ll tackle profiling my own PRS amp, but if it gets professional assistance, I’ll share if possible.

And the MBritt CSR profiles make up my entire live performances, right now. The low gain F channel with Variac is just wow!
I’ve been neglecting my CSR profiles lately - I’ll need to address that :)

Yeah, well I started off with a pocket pod kidney bean thing, briefly had a Helix LT but quickly became paralyzed by options and quickly returned it. Last I stole a Boss ME-80 from a local yokal on Letgo for cheap. So I got it just to break the monatany. I would love to tinker with some of the higher end stuff...but due to budgetary constraints and being a relatively responsible adult continues to hamper my efforts..and just for the record...I am officially calling BULL SH!T....That is all...carry on.

I love these threads, discover more products i'd never heard of before ie those cabs. Its good to follow whats happening at higher price play areas.

Yeah kemper should have a non profiling cheaper product as seems like most everyone use the pro profiles anyway.

The HX stomp is this years's cabbage patch doll, instantly sold out. I have to wait till november.

I use a Helix Rack these days. Got to a point where, even though I was MORE than happy with my tube rig, the band was tired of the volume needed to sound good. One of the greatest benefits was that my tone was consistent regardless of volume, regardless of room. I have been VERY pleased with the choice.

Back