How many on here use modelers like Axe FX III/Helix/Kemper?

Well, I’ll have to try the HR 108 then! Since I share Steve’s taste in SCTs with Braz necks and 59/09s and Kempers, might as well go all the way! Er, for the sonic tone that is! :)
Ordered, should arrive on Friday. Do you use a low pass filter to control the bass response? I’m planning on having this on the floor like a monitor for now.

Ordered, should arrive on Friday. Do you use a low pass filter to control the bass response? I’m planning on having this on the floor like a monitor for now.
Something tells me you'll be adjusting that based on how you position the unit. I found that my DXR10 needed adjustments depending on if it was wedge or standing upright.

I use the XiTone MBritt at the studio, and a Yamaha DXR10 at home. The DXR has plenty of low end and is an amazing overall sound with excellent dispersion. Many use the DXR10/12/15 for home and gigging. Quite a few use 2 DXR10s for stereo on the Kemper. Should be able to find a used one for a good price. I did.:)
DXRs are great speakers for the price. My sources say, the best in their price range (even over the seemingly more popular QSC K series). I have never been able to audition them back to back, but both are a clear level above the more affordable FRFR’s. But, the next level up is starting to get REALLY good. The DSRs are great speakers and some others in that price range are also very good.

Last edited by a moderator:
Adjust the Kemper. The Headrush/Alto are very,very flat, in a good and reliable way. If the results are boomy (and they probably will be) then read the manual about tweaking definition or low shift instead of bass. Here’s what Michael Britt suggests:

Tweaking – Feel free to tweak these profiles to fit what you want to hear just as you would a traditional amp. I strive to keep my EQ section as flat as possible so it gives the user plenty of room to adjust as necessary. I find the Definition control extremely useful in dialing in profiles as it can sweep the focus of the overall eq without having to grab the eq knobs. I often start there. If you find the profile “dull”, start by turning up the Definition. If you find it harsh, try turning the Definition down til it smooths out. For single coil strat pickups, I generally like the Definition between 4-5, for Teles around 5, for P90s between 5-6, and humbuckers between 6-7 as a starting place, but don’t feel limited to those settings. The Power Sagging, Compressor, Clarity control and the speaker Character control can all be helpful as well. Some profiles may require more tweaking than others in getting “your” sound out them. You can also tweak the Low Shift and High Shift in the Cabinet parameters if you find a profile that is too tubby or too lacking in low end.

Adjust the Kemper. The Headrush/Alto are very,very flat, in a good and reliable way. If the results are boomy (and they probably will be) then read the manual about tweaking definition or low shift instead of bass. Here’s what Michael Britt suggests:

Tweaking – Feel free to tweak these profiles to fit what you want to hear just as you would a traditional amp. I strive to keep my EQ section as flat as possible so it gives the user plenty of room to adjust as necessary. I find the Definition control extremely useful in dialing in profiles as it can sweep the focus of the overall eq without having to grab the eq knobs. I often start there. If you find the profile “dull”, start by turning up the Definition. If you find it harsh, try turning the Definition down til it smooths out. For single coil strat pickups, I generally like the Definition between 4-5, for Teles around 5, for P90s between 5-6, and humbuckers between 6-7 as a starting place, but don’t feel limited to those settings. The Power Sagging, Compressor, Clarity control and the speaker Character control can all be helpful as well. Some profiles may require more tweaking than others in getting “your” sound out them. You can also tweak the Low Shift and High Shift in the Cabinet parameters if you find a profile that is too tubby or too lacking in low end.
Thanks Dave and Boogie. Low shift was what I was thinking of when I said low pass filter. I tend to forget about definition and the other controls. I played around with them extensively when I first was dialing in the JBLs and new profiles. I have the JBLs on iso stands so I was worried about having the FRFR on the floor. Most Britt profiles sound muddy to me since I play at low volume through small speakers, but using his suggestions and the low pass filter on the JBLs helped quite a bit. I also find the EQ patches work pretty well in the post section on the Kemper though that can be quite the rabbit hole! I still need to download the new reverbs...

One of these will help with Bass decoupling, as well. Cheap, and they make several different sizes. I have one under each of my amp cabinets, thanks to Les' recommendation.

One of these will help with Bass decoupling, as well. Cheap, and they make several different sizes. I have one under each of my amp cabinets, thanks to Les' recommendation.
Sorry, but I don’t see a link or a picture? :)

Looking to take the plunge this year. Currently looking at something not too sophisticated like the Line 6 HX Stomp
On the acoustic side - maybe the Fishman Aura Spectrum

I use a Helix when playing shows, direct into the board, with a Power as a stage monitor.

Home, I mostly use a Blues Jr.

Loving the Helix! It keeps getting better with updates. I run through 2 Stagesource powered speakers for stereo patches. Playing electrics, acoustics, and bass with this setup.

Kemper user here. Unpowered directly into PA and an Alto TS 212 as a stage monitor.
I mostly use a Bluesbreaker profile from TAF. So versatile....

I saw this cabinet for sale, and I was really tempted.

I think it really looks cool, but then I thought..........Isn't one of the nice things about the Kemper how small and light weight it is? Also, I won't be able to use the cool bag I have to put it in any more.

Like I said, I was tempted.

Anybody using one of these cabinets? Looks really cool.

I saw this cabinet for sale, and I was really tempted.

I think it really looks cool, but then I thought..........Isn't one of the nice things about the Kemper how small and light weight it is? Also, I won't be able to use the cool bag I have to put it in any more.

Like I said, I was tempted.

Anybody using one of these cabinets? Looks really cool.
Exact same thoughts here. I have the same bag too. That being said, if it were for home or studio only I think I'd buy it.

I just picked up a Helix over the weekend.

My main recording rig is a Mesa Boogie Mark 5:25 running into a UAD OX. This way I get tube amp goodness, can record silently if necessary and I have a wealth of tonal options between the Mark's multiple voicings and the OX's myriad of options for cabinet, room and mic choices.

However, if I want to play an amp at home it's kind of a chore. I have to go into my studio, turn on the amp, switch my computer to a non 5Ghz network, turn on the OX, then open the OX software. If I'm going that far, I might as well power up my Apollo and turn on the DAW just in case I play something worth keeping..... Sometimes I just want to plug in and play.

I bought the Helix as an option to simply plug something into and I can get a good tone in seconds. I can play with just headphones if I like. It seemed like a simple (but somewhat expensive) solution. This thing sounds really good!! I'm blown away by the sounds that can be generated. This is great stuff.

I had a Pod HD500X, but the Helix is a LOT better.

I just picked up a Helix over the weekend.

My main recording rig is a Mesa Boogie Mark 5:25 running into a UAD OX. This way I get tube amp goodness, can record silently if necessary and I have a wealth of tonal options between the Mark's multiple voicings and the OX's myriad of options for cabinet, room and mic choices.

However, if I want to play an amp at home it's kind of a chore. I have to go into my studio, turn on the amp, switch my computer to a non 5Ghz network, turn on the OX, then open the OX software. If I'm going that far, I might as well power up my Apollo and turn on the DAW just in case I play something worth keeping..... Sometimes I just want to plug in and play.

I bought the Helix as an option to simply plug something into and I can get a good tone in seconds. I can play with just headphones if I like. It seemed like a simple (but somewhat expensive) solution. This thing sounds really good!! I'm blown away by the sounds that can be generated. This is great stuff.

I had a Pod HD500X, but the Helix is a LOT better.
What a great time to be a guitar player.
In no particular order:
Helix
Kemper
AxeFX
Atomic Amplifire
All excellent!
And a new kid on the block...
H&K Black Spirit 200

Got my HeadRush today, haven’t had time to try it out yet. Once my son goes to sleep...:)

Back