How many on here use modelers like Axe FX III/Helix/Kemper?

I got into the modeling thing early....almost 20 years ago with the L6 AxSys 2x12 amp. Pretty cool until it caught fire at a festival gig. :D

I've tried a lot of them but went with the AxeFx II XL+ a couple of years ago and can't believe how good it is. It will probably outlast my ability to play so I doubt I'll upgrade.

a Line 6 Pod HD400. My sound is constructed from scratch, then tweaked to each individual guitar. Best sounds I've ever had. I haven't used a tube amp for more than 16 years.

My modeling career :p started with a line6 PodXT, moved to an AxeFx Ultra, over to an unpowered Kemper, then an AX8 and finally to an AxeFxIII.
I still continue to use the AX8 for live work as the portability over the others is its true benefit. Use all of them with a Xitone cab powered by a matrix amp.

The Kemper obviously emulates anything you can throw at it from a "snapshot" perspective but tweak and turn knobs away from that snapshot and its not as smooth and uniform. (Basically, its better to take another snapshot of the amp with the new settings). The effects are also only so-so and not as extensive as the fractal but simpler to operate.

The FxIII is excellent on sound AND effects but also in complexity. Not saying difficult to program but the sheer amount of tweakability is mind boggling. No "official" direct footswitch currently available limits its gig-ability. Supposed to be December.

My modeling career :p started with a line6 PodXT, moved to an AxeFx Ultra, over to an unpowered Kemper, then an AX8 and finally to an AxeFxIII.
I still continue to use the AX8 for live work as the portability over the others is its true benefit. Use all of them with a Xitone cab powered by a matrix amp.

The Kemper obviously emulates anything you can throw at it from a "snapshot" perspective but tweak and turn knobs away from that snapshot and its not as smooth and uniform. (Basically, its better to take another snapshot of the amp with the new settings). The effects are also only so-so and not as extensive as the fractal but simpler to operate.

The FxIII is excellent on sound AND effects but also in complexity. Not saying difficult to program but the sheer amount of tweakability is mind boggling. No "official" direct footswitch currently available limits its gig-ability. Supposed to be December.

Soon as the FC-12 hits the market and I get an invite email, I'm all over it!!!

I got into the modeling thing early....almost 20 years ago with the L6 AxSys 2x12 amp. Pretty cool until it caught fire at a festival gig. :D

I've tried a lot of them but went with the AxeFx II XL+ a couple of years ago and can't believe how good it is. It will probably outlast my ability to play so I doubt I'll upgrade.

Yeah I looked at those. Ended up with a Johnson JM250H and 412 cab w/J12 footboard. Still have it believe it or not. Had lots of stuff since too. Pods, Tech 21 pedals, Bogner Preamp pedals, various cab pedals, 11R, to name a few. Have yet to try a Kemper or Axe FX. Right now a pedal board is built around an Atomic Amplifirebox direct to FOH. I found I was getting option paralysis with many of the modelers. I don't need 17 different marshall amps. Give me one good one and make me dial it in. If you give me more, I'll try different amps instead of making one sound good. So the AFB works great for me. While in theory I can have 9 amps, I really just use two. One on the orange channel and one on the red. Although I really just use the Orange channel. So much easier on the brain when playing. I need to worry about what I'm playing much more than what "gear" I'm using, or else I sound twice as bad haha.

I'm really hoping the AX8 gets an update in the near future. Stick some of the AxeFX III tech in a floorboard model, hopefully with the cool scribble strips & switch lights of the new foot controllers, and I'd be all over it!

Helix LT and Powercab Plus here. I just got back into it this past week after selling off a Helix rig last year. I had a really nice amp and pedalboard, but I missed the versatility and ease of swapping, as well as the volume control, of the modelling rig. It’s a lot easier to satisfy amp GAS by tweaking than pulling out the wallet.

I use a powered Kemper with the foot controller through monitors, PA or whatever speakers are available. I absolutely love it with my 509, possibly the most versatile rig in existence, as well as the best sounding.

I'm sure you know my post was very tongue in cheek. I have two Mesa's, a PRS, a Bogner and two fender tube amps, a floor full of pedals, and yes, even a couple rack effects left from back when I had a Peavey Rockmaster based rack rig. Lot of the digital stuff is finally getting really good, as long as you don't get caught up in option paralysis. I still find amps and pedals MUCH MUCH easier to dial in than modeler based amps and effects, and usually better sounding as well. But that stuff is getting close, and a legit "rig" in something the size of an AF3 is pretty remarkable for us older guys.

That said, still dig your rack. Which is not something I've ever said to a dude before. (Ok, I've never said it to anyone before, except my wife. Please don't roll your eyes like she did).
I'm going to amend this post. Since posting, I have attained an Atomic AA12 and, they've done a few firmware updates, one of which significantly improved the feel and tone of all the amps. They've also redone a couple models and improved the computer editor software.

I'm now going to say that as long as you have it plugged into computer, it's pretty comparable dialing in the digital rig vs. the amp and pedals based rig. While it's still crazy easy to dial in most good amps and pedals, flipping from screen to screen gives about the same ease. Doing it on the small screen on the units is not nearly as much fun. But if you make your patches at home you shouldn't need much tweaking other than tone controls at the gig and they are all physically present on the unit, without using screens/menus, etc.

As someone else here will soon attest, the Atomic devices are KILLING it and the easy "best buy," "most bang for your buck" available today. And as I've discovered in the last few weeks, the higher you go up the FRFR scale, the better they sound. I mean, this makes sense, but many guys who say "not quite there" etc., if they played them with a higher end FRFR would be blown away.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back