How many on here use modelers like Axe FX III/Helix/Kemper?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Glide-bpm, Oct 13, 2018.

1. WEDGE

WEDGE Zombie five, DFZ

Wasn’t a selling point of the Kemper that anyone could reasonably model their amps? I would bet a number of Kemper owners or their friends have some PRS amps?

ScottR, Boogie and Glide-bpm like this.
  2. WA Paul

WA Paul All dogs go to heaven

The ‘pro’ profiles tend to be materially better. I have a couple of Archon profiles and HXDA ones, but they weren’t too close to my ear. I appreciate that the people who did them took the time to share them!

Britt did a number of profiles on the 3rd Power CSR amp (I used to have one) and those were pretty darn close to the real deal.

One thing the pros do is different mikes and speaker cab combos, along with different amp settings.

ScottR, Boogie and dmatthews like this.
  3. WA Paul

That’s one heck of a setup! Digging the Walnut too:)

I have profiles of the Marshall and Mesa preamps :D

4. dmatthews

dmatthews Dave's not here...

I should take another crack at profiling my H and Custom 50 combos.

WA Paul and Glide-bpm like this.
  5. 11top

11top Cousin Eddie's cousin

I’m currently gigging with a Headrush board and two Headrush FRFR active 112s.

However, I also have a Kemper powered with a Fryette Power Station and a FRFR Xitone 212. I have a Xitone FRFR 112 wedge that I run in front of me as a guitar monitor (use with both rigs above).

pac90, ScottR and Glide-bpm like this.
  6. Ovibos

Ovibos Naughty Wood Librarian

As a former Mustang user, you owe it to yourself to try a Katana...

Pdiddy, pac90 and Glide-bpm like this.
  7. Boogie

Boogie Zombie Two, DFZ

That’s me, too. Sporting a pair of HeadRush 12” powered monitors, which do a darned good job. There’s a good chance that I’ll tackle profiling my own PRS amp, but if it gets professional assistance, I’ll share if possible.

And the MBritt CSR profiles make up my entire live performances, right now. The low gain F channel with Variac is just wow!

8. DreamTheaterRules

Hard to believe that they have now shrunken all that down to the size of my Atomic AmpliFire 3. :)

Ovibos, Boogie, pac90 and 3 others like this.
  9. dmatthews

dmatthews Dave's not here...

Those are awesome.

Boogie and Glide-bpm like this.
  10. Serious Poo

Serious Poo Shoegazing Member

Yep, but at a compromise in sound. If I were gigging and needed something light, I'd easily make that compromise too.

Boogie, ScottR and DreamTheaterRules like this.
  11. DreamTheaterRules

I'm sure you know my post was very tongue in cheek. I have two Mesa's, a PRS, a Bogner and two fender tube amps, a floor full of pedals, and yes, even a couple rack effects left from back when I had a Peavey Rockmaster based rack rig. Lot of the digital stuff is finally getting really good, as long as you don't get caught up in option paralysis. I still find amps and pedals MUCH MUCH easier to dial in than modeler based amps and effects, and usually better sounding as well. But that stuff is getting close, and a legit "rig" in something the size of an AF3 is pretty remarkable for us older guys.

That said, still dig your rack. Which is not something I've ever said to a dude before. (Ok, I've never said it to anyone before, except my wife. Please don't roll your eyes like she did).

#31 DreamTheaterRules, Oct 14, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2018
    CVS, jdto, bodia and 3 others like this.
  12. Glide-bpm

Glide-bpm We were small but we were slow...

Honestly, I play my tube amps less and less than the Axe FX 3 now. I could even get by on Helix...
    It doesn't take me long to get a tone I'm looking for anymore as far as the base amp/cab. I still only use a handful or two of
    different amp/cab tones. However, if I want to change one, it's an easy affair versus playing amp roulette on the internet.

I'll drag the pedalboard and an amp out and within 20 minutes, I'm ready to break a digital rig out. With
    the Mission Gemini 2, I have plenty of air movement, too. Play a lot louder at home than I do out and about on stage.

I'm not an amp hater by any means, though. It's just gotten too easy to get what I'm looking for out of the new age digital stuff
    anymore.

13. WA Paul

I’ve been neglecting my CSR profiles lately - I’ll need to address that :)

bodia, Boogie and Glide-bpm like this.
  14. matonanjin

matonanjin New Member

Line 6 POD HD500X

15. ScottR

ScottR If nobody saw it, it didn't happen.

Yeah, well I started off with a pocket pod kidney bean thing, briefly had a Helix LT but quickly became paralyzed by options and quickly returned it. Last I stole a Boss ME-80 from a local yokal on Letgo for cheap. So I got it just to break the monatany. I would love to tinker with some of the higher end stuff...but due to budgetary constraints and being a relatively responsible adult continues to hamper my efforts..and just for the record...I am officially calling BULL SH!T....That is all...carry on.

16. pac90

pac90 Helix user

I love these threads, discover more products i'd never heard of before ie those cabs. Its good to follow whats happening at higher price play areas.

Yeah kemper should have a non profiling cheaper product as seems like most everyone use the pro profiles anyway.

The HX stomp is this years's cabbage patch doll, instantly sold out. I have to wait till november.

Glide-bpm and ScottR like this.
  17. markd21

markd21 New Member

I use a Helix Rack these days. Got to a point where, even though I was MORE than happy with my tube rig, the band was tired of the volume needed to sound good. One of the greatest benefits was that my tone was consistent regardless of volume, regardless of room. I have been VERY pleased with the choice.

18. gag halfrunt

gag halfrunt Big Bad Bill

Kemper Powered Toaster with a Mesa Recto 2x12.

ScottR and Glide-bpm like this.
  19. Fro

Fro New Member

AxeIII thru a Xitone.

Glide-bpm likes this.
  20. drjenkins

drjenkins I Don't know what to put here...

In the market for a powered Kemper. The Mesa Dual Rec/6505 and 2 4x12's rig is a bit too much for Madison Square bedroom.:cool:

Elliot, ScottR and Glide-bpm like this.