How many of your PRS’ have you modified?

Regarding my 2012 SE Orianthi flame maple top guitar, I have replaced the trem block with a brass one, and then locked it into “down only” with a cheap trem blocker. These cheap and easy mods made this guitar have the best resonance and primary sustain of any of the guitars I have. And I am not a trem player. And it wasn’t bad before these little mods, but it is better (the best) now.

I just put locking tuners on my 2012 PRS SE Orianthi flame top. But I don't know if this is a real mod, as the locking tuners were from PRS. Maybe it is just an upgrade with original manufacturer's parts? In any event, as an early opinion, they seem to be curing the "new strings" tuning instability problem, and they make string changing easier.

I just put locking tuners on my 2012 PRS SE Orianthi flame top. But I don't know if this is a real mod, as the locking tuners were from PRS. Maybe it is just an upgrade with original manufacturer's parts? In any event, as an early opinion, they seem to be curing the "new strings" tuning instability problem, and they make string changing easier.

We just had a vote in the boardroom and congratulations! You qualify, it’s a mod!

Yeah, man, I just did the locking tuner thing for post string change tuning stability and ease of string change. I'm old and lazy! My two adult daughters bugged the hell out of me about what I wanted for my last birthday (77th) and I told them a new Ferrari, but they said no! Too expensive. I was just joking. So I looked for some guitar gear, and aked for these SE lockers. About five months later, I just got around to installing them. Just did it this afternoon. So far, I like them.

I wanted a more vintage sound out of my 1993-4 Artist II, back when it was new. I had my then-tech install some Gibson PAFs of that era. When I picked up the guitar, I decided to play it to see if it needed tweaking.

It did need tweaking. I immediately decided it was better with the stock pickups, so I paid him to take out the PAFs and put the stock pickups back.

That's when I figured I was over the urge to mod PRSes, and from then on, left well enough alone.

Do string changes count? I've held onto some of them long enough to actually need to change strings (I was a very bad guitar merry-go-round person back in the day). :)

String changes should not count as mods. And I don’t understand people who say PRS guitars have “sterile sounding” pups. What sort of a cheap amp are they using? I have two heads and one combo that can get any tone you want out of any guitar. The problem is that many keep looking for a guitar that will give the desired tone, when they should be looking for the amp that will do it. Instead, they shoukd be looking for a guitar that is playable to them. The amp will take care of the tone, if it is a good one.

I had installed a Duncan JB in the bridge position of my 594DC (It came with a 57/08 there from the factory - wood library build), but I just changed it back to stock a couple weeks ago. I also changed a couple wires on my CU24 5 way switch to get the neck pickup alone as a single coil, but didn't care much for the sound and changed it back. So the only mod I currently have on any of my PRSi is added treble bleeds to both volume pots of said 594. I absolutely HATE treble loss when rolling down the volume. One of these days I'll get really brave and fish out the pots on my Gretsch Chet hollowbody and put treble bleeds on it, as I can't stand how dark it gets if I roll off the volume at all.
They all get Schaller strap locks, but I don't think that counts.

Two of seven. I replaced the pickups in my ME and my 20th Anniversary CU 24. I suspect I will replace the pickups in my 30th CU 24 as well.

1 out of 3.
My DGT and DoubleCut 594 are both factory stock
My 2006 Goldtop McCarty now has a Joe Naylor Railhammer Hyper Vintage pickup set in it. It looks like this now:
nzd9qbL.jpg

Regarding those railhammers, I thought the rail went on the treble strings for bends? I could be wrong.

Regarding those railhammers, I thought the rail went on the treble strings for bends? I could be wrong.
It's funny, that's actually the first of the FAQs on their site :D

1. It's backwards! The rails should be under the plain strings for bending, right?
No, they are not backwards. The rails produce a tight percussive tone, the poles a fat thick tone. If you reversed it, the wound strings would sound mushy and the plain strings would sound extra thin. Bending and note drop-out are not an issue, as there’s no drop-out anywhere on the pickup, even on the pole side, due to the powerful/wide magnetic field.​

(Edit) I should say that I didn't know the answer to this question either, that's why I had to look it up. I was curious.

I wanted a more vintage sound out of my 1993-4 Artist II, back when it was new. I had my then-tech install some Gibson PAFs of that era. When I picked up the guitar, I decided to play it to see if it needed tweaking.

It did need tweaking. I immediately decided it was better with the stock pickups, so I paid him to take out the PAFs and put the stock pickups back.

That's when I figured I was over the urge to mod PRSes, and from then on, left well enough alone.

Do string changes count? I've held onto some of them long enough to actually need to change strings (I was a very bad guitar merry-go-round person back in the day). :)
When Les advertises his guitars as "Vintage", what he really means are the strings. :cool:

On my S2 SC only the pickups & volume pots.

Since its a keeper, phase 3s would be nice and maybe a nice custom wooden pickguard, but happy enough to start wearing the nitro

My biggest mod took place in 1971, when I had a tune-o-matic bridge installed on my '65 SG Special. I still have the guitar, though right now it's in LA with my son.

The T-O-M solved a lot of intonation problems with the old Gibson bridge, and improved the tone of the guitar. But I couldn't afford a refin back in the day, so dowel rods were inserted into the original stud holes, etc.

It's ugly, but it's probably the oldest thing I own. ;)

Back