How many of you guys actually PLAY guitar?

Do you play guitar?

• Total voters
I play in a band, we get paid gigs, but we typically play only a few times a month, and sometimes the gig "fee" is free food and drink - which sometimes is more, value-wise, than the small stipends we sometimes get in cash. We don't do this for money, it is really tough to be a pro these days, I can't imagine someone actually making a living playing gigs, even 5-6 nights a week and selling the odd CD or three.

Of course, I'm a professional in a completely different field, so it's not like I'm fresh out of high school or college and ready to live a simple life as long as I have a place to crash and enough to eat while "on tour" in a twenty year old Honda Civic or something.

I'm happy some folks are willing to pay big bucks for "guitar furniture" - some folks collect fine art as paintings or sculptures, some like fancy-looking guitars. At least these fancy guitars are extremely playable!

I have a selection of Core and SE models. I enjoy playing them, and people seem to enjoy hearing me play. I've played on one song that ts actually available on a CD, and I'll be on several tracks for one of my bandmate's solo CDs (release early next year, maybe...). And maybe the band will put out a CD of our own - we have a couple of good songwriters in the band (not me), and I think the band is headed in the right direction.

Last edited:
I'm in a band. I don't care what people do with their guitars as long as they enjoy the guitar. Ok, well, I'd prefer they not be used to kill people(unless of course the person should be killed)...but who am I to decide that?

Not a fan?

51qWj5eLKrL.jpg

I play in my church's P & W group, and I play at home. My Private Stock gets played every week. I have been playing for 30+ years, and I suck. I do have fun though. I'm one of those guys that has never had it "click" yet. I know what I want to play, I just can't do it.

It's because folks with a lot of $, regardless of ability, that a company like prs is able to exist. If it wasn't for them, I wouln't be able to gig my humble S2. Personally, I'm greatful they buy them, regardless of the reason, because it means I get the option of gigging a kick a$$ guitar like I do.

As a muscian, I think it's paramount to avoid being judgemental. Kind of goes against the reasons most of us fell in love with music to begin with.

I'm just a doctor and a lawyer. I'm an average golfer and I just bought my PRS to look at ;)

(obvious sarcasm)

Guitars are meant to be played. Some every day, some on special occasions like my grandfathers all original Pre war j-35 that was given to me. Mostly that is art, but I do play it. The rest of mine get played frequently.

I made a guitar out of a piece of furniture once.....thinking about turning it back into a piece of furniture.
Hahaha! Thank you for my chuckle of the day!

I truly laughed out loud!

Once upon a time I had a lot of opinions on how things should be, but as I get older I realize it doesn't matter. Me being the geek I am, I'd like to see the same poll done on other manufacturer-centered forums. I'd bet the number of people actually making a living doing music is always going to be small, regardless.

I'm a living room player/jam with buddies occasionally. 10-15 hours a week.

But if i was rich i'd spend a lot of money on guitars, and maybe not all of them would get played much.

And i don't care what anyone thinks of that. I love music, i love guitars and i love playing them and even just looking at them. It makes me happy, and that's about all that's important these days, as long as i'm not hurting anyone to get my happiness.

Not a pro but in a band. I have a regular full-time gig like most of you, and I am lucky in the sense that I can theoretically afford to buy just about any guitar that I want. What do I actually buy? Budget models mostly - PRS S2's, Faded Gibsons, pawn shop queens. I've owned a bunch of very expensive, exquisite guitars in my life but I get more playing satisfaction from these less expensive guitars for some reason that even I fail to understand. (I will spend money on amps though)

That being said, I could not care less about someone's motivation for buying a nice/expensive guitar, or whether or not they play it.

I've only just begun to play and I just bought my first PRS....an SE245.....used! But hell, if I could afford a Ferrari...I'd buy one. Why not?

I would have selected multiple. I voted bedroom as that is my current situation. But I've played in bands off and on over the years. Played corporate functions, house parties, open jams, even been paid a time or two. But would never say I play for a living. In my 20's I was at that crossroad and could have played more or less for a living. I looked at it realistically - not from the "we're gonna be big stars" pipe dream - and decided against it. 9-1 in a smoky bar every night wasn't going to get me where I wanted to be, so I went the more real job and music hobby route.

Wish there was another option "I'm a bedroom player because I haven't found a band to play in YET" ;p

That's the category I fall in right now. I was playing in a church band but, wasn't satisfied. I have played some open mics but, am limited in that because I don't sing. Most open mics I see around the area are for singer/songwriter(acoustic) and that's not really my style. My style is like Santana - Europa, Joe Satriani- Always with me, always with you, godfather theme, etc. Various instrumental stuff. Also, I'm picky about where I will play(don't like smoky bars, etc.). Hopefully one day I will find that situation to jam that is right for me.:p

No wish to be in a band. I enjoy playing and learning, makes me happy.

I'm a living room guitar player of 3 years. However, I've played the drums for over 20 years in more than a few bands. I've had my fill of that. I just play for my own enjoyment now.

Been playing for a year and buying for a year. I'm working for the day that I play better than I buy. Taking lessons weekly,, trying to get a lesson group, club, whatever going in my community. Not good enough to play in a band or for pay. Love guitars and have more guitars than I know songs.

Back