How many of you guys actually PLAY guitar?

Do you play guitar?

• Total voters
I have used all my guitars on stage at some point. PRSis are my regular ones to the gig. My latest acquisition, the 58/15 limited, has performed outstandingly well on my latest gig.

Guitars were made to be played. But I do understand folks who buy high end PRSi and not play them. They are pieces of arts. And Arts are to be admired...

Kingsley, nice vid for the McCarty!!

I made a living playing music, from 1980 to around 1993. And then continued sporadically gigging for another decade. But I don't do that anymore. Now it's entirely for pleasure; the business of music robs the joy from it IMO. When I gigged, I never brought along any expensive gear. (Except a Marshall Major amp, and later a Hammond A100 and Leslie... but I got those cheap.) were I gigging today, odds are the 408 would come along for better gigs but not for clubs.

My current guitar teacher is one of the most incredible guitarists I've ever had the pleasure of spending time with and the guitars he currently owns are stunning. He told me his teacher long ago used to give him crap for spending and buying so many guitars back in the day and now he's a master at the instrument. At the end of the day, I think all that matters is the effort you put in to your chosen craft/instrument, not whether or not you have the talent to be playing high caliber guitars.

I play as much as I can, but it's mostly for shop gear demonstrations at my workplace, that sort of thing. I wish I had more time to write my own music or play in a band but over the last couple of years I'm definitely starting to feel like more of a collector than a player, and I really don't want to do that.

Love guitars and have more guitars than I know songs.

Seriously? (No offense!) I never know whether or not to take comments like this seriously, much like I didn't originally know if this thread title was a joke or not. I didn't think it was possible that people bought PRS guitars to collect and display, but not play. That concept still does not compute with me. :iamconfused:

I'm not a pro but I play in a band.
I play a LOT. Though not recently, as I've been doing bass, drums, website, video editing, you name it for my album release (likely a once in a lifetime event considering how draining this has been).
Website and recent covers band vids:

http://tommysixstring.com/

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey guitarman, nice covers. Thanks for sharing. Love me some JJ.

Thank you!
I'm writing my own instrumental album in the vein of "Surfing With the Alien" so I hope people will listen to that, too, when it's out! :)

i consider myself a bedroomhero. but occasionally i play in band

but i do like to spend my money on guitars and gear.

I'm a bedroom player, sometimes I might play in the Theatre Room if no ones home.

I am am gear obsessed though. I started playing at 40yrs and I have generally bought the best guitars I could afford from the outset.
I started off with a couple of mid level guitars till I knew what I wanted / believed I would stay with it.

Ive probably spent around $35-40k on this hobby since starting. My 16 yo son plays very well and so I've bought him a number of quality guitars and I hope our whole collection of guitars and amps will become treasured family heirlooms down the road a ways.

The money Ive spent on my passion might seem obscene to some and a drop in the ocean to what some on this forum have invested in their PS guitars and accessories.

I dont drink, smoke or take any kind of recreational drugs and rarely go out unless it's with my wife and kids. I've worked since I was 16 yo and
am in a pretty good situation financially. If....God forbid, it was necessary for any reason I could sell of some of my collection for a bit of extra scratch. Actually to make room in our music room I'm going to sell off the guitars no one is using. A few (3) Ibanez guitars, Epiphone MIK Flying V and LP Custom. Monster Relic S type parts caster and a few low watt tube amps.

There are still a few guitars I hope to add to my collection down the track. Framus Semi Hollow, Collings ES 335 style guitar, a James Tyler S type.

Im starting to spend the time practicing that I should have from the start (my son's been a big help here and I find him easier to understand than our old guitar teacher, most of the time.) I'm seeing decent improvement. I would like to think I will continue to get better and even more passionate about guitar in the coming years.

Last edited:
Not a pro, as I make my living (and guitar budget) elsewhere... but we DID play 27 shows all over Germany this year. That has to count for something.

23906112tu.jpg

this had to be by far the dumbest poll!! Sounds like OP is trying to justify something or lack there of. Who cares what anyone else does with their money or talent for that matter.

Yeah, really dig the mix of synths and guitars, definitely my thing. And I love the patience with which you introduce guitars in this one track, Red Dream Blue Sphere -- very tastfully done, IMHO, haven't heard anything like that since I saw Trans Am on the Futureworld tour (which was fantastic). They spent half the gig transitioning from Kraftwerk-esque synthpop to their usually noisy guitar stuff, and the second half transitioning back, working in older tracks along the way, but essentially playing the Futureworld album in its entirety.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very cool, thanks for checking us out and paying attention. It can be hard to cut through the noise these days so it's very nice to see someone noticing and understanding what you're trying to do. :)

I actively gigged from Highschool. I took a break in the 60's due to that little disagreement we were having, and returned to gigging in 1972 and worked my last stage for pay in 1999. Good enough. I play all of my guitars in rotation. I usually keep three out all the time, presently it's an '04 Mccarty, a '12 Gretsch ProJet, and my trusty '95 Strat I try to pull them off the hangers and play all the rest over the course of a month or so. I really don't fit the demographic of well do to or have a bunch of guitars in cases and have so many that I have to mark them with tape to know whats in the case...;-) I hang them all and most have not seen a case in a decade. I'm not overly protective, but I'm not a slob with them either. Long to short, I play every instrument I own, from Acoustic guitars to electrics to ukuleles..

I'm still waiting for someone to say, "F$%# no, I don't play 'em, I just wanna look at 'em and what's it to ya?"

;)

So I guess that isn't happening and most folks who post here play guitar.

I started playing guitar at age 15, also had 5 years of piano as a child. Lived out in the sticks during my high school/college years - all my friends played but it was years before a drummer or bassist appeared. No local music scene in the area back then, ended up being a bedroom player for the first dozen years of playing. Played in a surf rock band at one point, had to quit due to medical issues. Moved into an apartment and turned to collecting and playing unplugged on the couch. Finally am back in a house and crank up the amps on a regular if not daily basis. Hope to check out the local scene in another year or so, got rusty after a decade of barely playing.

Back