How many of you guys actually PLAY guitar?

Do you play guitar?

• Total voters
When I taught guitar the number one model or make People had (By a long shot) was an Epi LP. Regardless of playing ability or income level. Most where high school to uni age so not surprising.

All loved guitar though and as far as I remember all aspired to own expensive Strats, LP's, etc

So, I expect those that maintain an interest in guitar, even if they never really get beyond first base playing wise, will purchase an expensive guitar when funds allow.

If I could have afforded an expensive core or PS PRS, Gibson or high end Strat when I first started out I would have done.

It's actually redundant to even consider the cost and to compare that to ability. Ultimately, they bought it because they like it.

As I said, I like to think a guitar is going to be admired and shown some love rather than stay locked in a case under a bed, but I don't care if it's a few chords strummed in a bedroom or on a stage in front of thousands.

I didn't vote because I don't really like the tone of the question, and I dislike public polls.

All my guitars are played by me. I don't think talent is a prerequisite for buying a good guitar. In fact I think people should buy the best they can afford if they think they might want to play. If it takes a while, so be it. If it is there, at least you have a chance to give it a try in the privacy of your own home.

Last edited:
I don't play out and likely never will. On average I play guitar 2.5 hours a day. I've probably reached my full potential and it is far below mediocre. The quality of my guitars and gear far exceeds my abilities. But the joy of playing far exceeds my quality gear.

^^^
THIS +
I started learning Rainsong by Zep back in February on my PRS Zach Myers. Did'nt think I could do it. Here it is near the end of October and I am working on the closing part. Now that I know most of it on six strings, I have retuned my 12 string PRS $$$ Hollowbody and playing it on the 12 string. I could not be happier and could not be playing a finer instrument. In fact, I am so Happy I dont care what any of the haters think if i should be allowed to play a PRS. Truth is, the likely reason I am pleased with the music I am making is probably more to do with the fact that I am using PRS guitars. Again i am so tickled that I can play this song..., Thank you:prslogo:

PS. I didnt answer the poll because I am probably not qualified to do so and like Corey said, I am a livingroom player. Thank you for the thread just the same, because it made me happy thinking about playing Rainsong.

My buddy is a drummer, although we haven't had a band in years. We were talking about this (sorta) last night before Peter Frampton. He said guys he work with give him crap because he goes to so many concerts. They tell him he's too old to still be going to this stuff. He said, "Look, if you love music and you live for music, you're never too old for this stuff. I don't drink, I don't smoke, I don't do drugs. I get memories for my money."

Of course, he also told me a couple weeks ago that he likes going to concerts with me "because it means I'm not the only one who didn't grow up".

My wife has said that some people (family included) have said things to her about my guitars and CDs, and she tells them, "That's what he does. He's not out running around, getting into trouble, or anything like that. It's what he loves to do, and he could do a lot worse."

In more ways than one.

There was a time that I was a passable fingerpicker ala` Mississippi John Hurt. But I have no gift/talent. My brother and a nephew, who are both truly gifted far above average, and who play professionally cannot repair or build a guitar-I can.

I'm simply answering your question and will not pass judgement on collectors nor tell my life story.

I have nine guitars and play them, rotating among them all in order to develop a "profile" of what I like in a guitar. I'm 60 and just started taking lessons about four years ago. Since I've played several other instruments well, I aspire with some confidence to playing the guitar reasonably well. My biggest difficulty is in finding the time to practice as much as I'd like.

David

I'm a bedroom player occasional get up and jam guy. That said all of my guitars PRS or not get played regularly. I have never had the desire to play live, Music is my hobby and it's what keeps me sane.

753DF30E-EB8C-46F7-9E16-B6AB5D20DC69_zps86mofme1.jpg

I play in a band and play which ever guitar is right to me. That being said my private stock has been right since I got it.

Last edited:
I haven't been in a band in ages. I'm married with 3 kids, ages 9, 2, and 1. There's no way I'm staying out till 3 or 4 in the morning, hauling gear, and getting awakened with babies jumping on me at 7 am. I still enjoy heading to the basement and rattling the walls. Occasionally, I'll make it to a blues jam every now and then.

I played in bands in high school ( long time ago ). Got paid for some if it. Getting paid to do something is the standard for a professional, so check on that one. Quit for 20+ years. Now I play all over my house and in a "band" that never plays out focuses more on barbecuing and drinking than music.

Personally, I think I suck, but like Les pointed out, I'm probably better than some and worse than others.

It didn't take me long after picking up a guitar to learn that judging someone's ability by the guitar they play is is foolishness.

As I get older and have more disposable income ( or income I spend on ME ) I have acquired more and better guitars , I also play more , record more and Jam more.
I feel like my playing is getting better and when life allows I hope to be in a band again.
The PRSi call to me to keep me going and they look cool on the basement walls

As a very basic player, I am happy that I have the means to enjoy two beautiful core guitars every one once in a while and why should one really care. I am just as interested in the history of each model in addition to the sound.

On a final note, just think if the number of 1957 Strateocaster's, 1959 Les Pauls and other vintage toys we still have access to because someone stuck them under the bed or in the closet for years.

I just can't vote on the poll…

1) Even music is my main income, I'm not a guitarist… Guitars aren't my first instrument
2) When I do play guitar, I don't play it on a band… actually some of us don't play in band at all (at this point, I even hate bands to be honest… while I'm in heaven in any studio)
3) It's been a while I haven't play any music in my bedroom… my bedroom is for sleep (or something more fun, but not music recording/playing).
4) I don't collect anything… even thought I wouldn't mind to collect PRS guitars if I had the money

However, to the question : Do you play your guitars? I'd say: Yes, I do play them… pretty much 1h everyday. But the other question would be: Are you playing it well? And to this question, I couldn't reply because regarding the talent one can have, there's always someone better. For a non-guitarist by training, I do think I'm OK… but in comparison to any guitarist, I'm not that good (and actually no real wish or need to improve myself since it's not my main instrument and not my source of income).

However, ever time I'm on the couch and want to spend some good time, I grab my guitar and play it (even unplugged)… so yes, I do play my guitars and they're not in a vault somewhere. Instruments are made to be played.

My 2¢

I haven't been in a band in ages. I'm married with 3 kids, ages 9, 2, and 1. There's no way I'm staying out till 3 or 4 in the morning, hauling gear, and getting awakened with babies jumping on me at 7 am. I still enjoy heading to the basement and rattling the walls. Occasionally, I'll make it to a blues jam every now and then.

This is my life too, although kids are now ages 16, 14, 10. Plus 2 dogs, 2 cats, 2 snakes, 3 reptiles, guinea pig...

I travel for work too, so I seldom have a "normal schedule" so my time in my basement studio is precious to me, although no one in the family quite gets that. I am remodeling a room for my hobby soon, so something to look forward to. Been thinking of selling everything though, as sometimes it seems selfish of me to even have this hobby. Gave up tennis and golf too. On second thought, I feel like I have sacrificed enough maybe...

I think the thing that PRSi can do for us is make us happy. Regardless of the circumstances, I`m reading about a lot of really happy people who have a passion for their guitars. I play mine, but if someone has the means to buy a Private Stock and chooses to put it in a museum case on the wall, Bless them. I always look forward to the next one I pull out of a case, or modify, or let one of my virtuoso buddies check out. I don`t care how good I am, if I can make the audience smile, dance, and have a good time. That`s my reward. It`s all good.

Just got in from my gig tonight, god it was a hot one, like playing in a furnace haha.

Gig my two DGT's, can't choose between them as I love them equally so do one set with the goldtop and one set with the tobacco :)

Standard or...?

I'm trying to decide between a Grandma Hannon or an Angry Larry.

Back