How many of you are exclusive PRS players?

Got this idea from another thread, How many of you are like me. So used to playing PRS that other guitars like bolt-on strat's & tele's, weigh a ton LP's & other Gretsch-ish type axes feel so foreign that I'll pick one up but will put it down within 5-10 mins because it's just not that enjoyable. I guess I can admit to some snobbery, I don't even like SE's & S2's, but I've never met a USA core model that I didn't like.

Some guys can pick up anything and kick-azz, shred on a pink Daisyrock and still make it sound good, I'm not one of them. Wrong axe, wrong amp, and I sound like doo doo. People still say I sound good, but to my ears, if I'm out of my element I'm a little shaky and don't really connect with the guitar or the music.

What kinda cat are you?

This is a problem....

First, I have to say I'm surprised that you don't like SE's..... I tried one or two the other day because I had just bought my first secondhand one, so I was interested to see and hear how good they are... but I was also a bit disappointed.... especially the semi-hollow one, I think the Zack Myers.... however, I think they are better than the opposition in that price range.

My secondhand SE is 12 years old, she was unplayable when I bought her, so I unfortunately don't know how good she was before I upgraded the electrics and the nut for a USA one, and bridge for a ABM bell brass. All I know now, that even with the original G&B pickups, this is an amazing guitar, beating my Custom shop Les Paul and even my modified Korean Hamer; the only guitar I have which is better, is my USA Mc Carty; that is unbelievably good!

I never wanted to become a one brand player, I believe it's healthy to play other makes and types because they do influence the way we play and the kind of music even..... but heavens! PRS guitars spoil us silly, even a good SE! The neck, the ease with which we can play them, the tone, the looks, the feel-good feelings..... they all contribute that important element in our playing, whatever the level....... PASSION!

PRS guitars just make most other guitars seem rather dull and boring; I'm surprised that more professional players don't use them...

I recently had my HB refretted, if it's as nice as you say, get it done, you won't regret it. The only weird thing is that it will play like a brand new axe but you don't have a new guitar to look at.

Just had my HB I refretted - same feelings as you - plays like a new guitar but doesn't quite look like a new guitar. My HB I has been a workhorse over the past 7 years and has a few nicks...

Well, my drums and my mandolin aren't made by PRS. hahaha
I own more PRS core line guitars than anything else but it will be a hard sell for PRS to get me to switch brands of bass guitar, and I don't know of any PRS offerings which can compete with either the Gibson 335 or the Heritage H-535 semi-hollows.
But regardless of which guitars are better or worse, sometimes I just want to play a vintage design guitar just because they are really nifty. A vintage design like one of these...

Heritage_1868x1280.jpg

not exclusive, but my rules are "playability, then tone, then looks". PRS fits the bill the majority of the time.

I have several others, most are staying due to how great they sound + their sentimental value, but my Custom 24 with 57/08's in it has been my #1 since the 2nd show after I bought it last spring. I've sold off most of my not-used axes, and I'm only looking at PRS's for new acquisitions. They're just soooooo sexy!

I'm surprised you don't like SE's ...................only guitar I have which is better, is my USA Mc Carty; that is unbelievably good!

That's why I don't like SE's, yes they are better than anything in that price range but after playing USA made PRS for a great while there is no turning back for me. I even bought an SE sgl cut last year but sold it shortly after that and picked up a used 408 for bar gigs & such.

Last edited:
Well, my drums and my mandolin aren't made by PRS. hahaha
I own more PRS core line guitars than anything else but it will be a hard sell for PRS to get me to switch brands of bass guitar, and I don't know of any PRS offerings which can compete with either the Gibson 335 or the Heritage H-535 semi-hollows.
But regardless of which guitars are better or worse, sometimes I just want to play a vintage design guitar just because they are really nifty. A vintage design like one of these...

Now why did you do that? You now have me looking at Heritage H-535's.... this could have been a very expensive post to have read!!!

Now why did you do that? You now have me looking at Heritage H-535's.... this could have been a very expensive post to have read!!!

hahahaha! Cheaper than buying a 335! No one has anything bad to say about the Heritage H535's, not even the Gibson fanboys. It's a great guitar, made in Kalamazoo Michigan and they are more affordable than a Gibby.

I've been collecting guitars for 30 years. Prior to my first PRS in 2011 I had amassed nearly 100 guitars from many different makers. I was very happy with my Gibsons, Fenders, Charvels, ESPs, Kramers, Deans, Jackson's, Ibanez, etc. I had 20+ Gibsons and 20+ Fenders. My collection has undergone a massive evolution these last 4 years. I now own one very nice Gibson LP and one amazing Fender Strat. I've paired my collection down to 50ish with nearly half of them being PRS. The majority of the non PRSi guitars are now Ibanez Prestige and USA Charvels/Jackson's.

There is a certain vibe I get from a very good guitar. Most people listening can't really hear the difference but I feel it and my playing improves exponentially. I get that vibe more often from my PRSi than any other.

I'm not exclusively PRS. Great guitars obviously but variety is the spice of life...

If I were inclined toward brand exclusivity (which I am most definitely NOT) it would be most feasible for me with this fellow's instruments.

10629536_752151318172493_5816235040818373530_o.jpg

On the other hand, if this is the only guitar I have around I'm never unhappy. (I'm the fellow on the left)

11255779_905058292881794_5530478095445007683_o.jpg

The same could be said of this one.

10984168_853458648041759_6476999445607969031_o.jpg

Last edited:
I'm mostly PRS right now unless I want to play 7 string then I grab my Majesty. I have a few others Jackson, fender, Washburn and Esp/Ltd that get playtime as well. And once I get a room to get all of them out they will get more love

Someone asked me at the PRS event why I only play PRS guitars. Here's why:

Maybe 12 years ago, I had a few guitars that weren't PRS. I was wasting a lot of time in tight deadline sessions playing the guitars I had trying to decide on which ones worked best, and really wanted to limit myself to what I sounded best on.

So I loaded my favorite projects into my DAW and listened to each guitar track solo'd to try to figure out the best guitars (and amps) for the work I do.

After a few passes, it was pretty clear that the PRS tracks worked out best for my playing style. The guitars are a good physical fit for me, so I probably play a little more smoothly with them, and the tone is right in my wheelhouse. This was independent of whatever amp I was also recording.

So I decided to standardize on PRS.

This doesn't mean anyone else should change what they're doing, of course. Not everyone is going to have the same needs, or the same tastes. But PRS works for me. And when I say work, I mean in my work because my guitars are my loyal servants. ;)

Just went all in the electric guitar department. Down to 2 electrics, both PRS.
I really don't think about guitars anymore since these 2 keep me satisfied.
But still love playing my Martin acoustic from time to time.

I owned seven guitars, only one PRS, previously and, in practice, rotated them on a regular basis. Recently I sold two of them and I find myself going to the PRS first time every-time now, I don't rotate anymore. It's a cheaper black Tremonti SE machine but I absolutely adore it over and above my LP's, Strat and Godin. It just feels so right especially now it has hotrodded SD's in it.

Back