How many learned like this??

I've been going though mine as the older mags had bass tabs and since I'm trying to learn bass they've come in handy. Buy once and got to use them twice, not a bad investment :D

I did! I even kept an index of what publication/month had which tabs so I could quickly see what tabs I had for a specific band. It was awesome!

As a kid I would always ask for my subscriptions to be renewed. I had about every guitar mag coming to my house. I lived in them.

Like I posted earlier, I've never used tabs. I can read them with much back and forth and place the finger here, and place the finger there, but that's too much like just getting taught by someone. There have been songs that have required me to watch a video to figure out what was going on. One Example is Christopher Cross' "Sailing". I never knew it was in open D until I youtubed it. Then it became simple. Yet, I have forgotten it for the most part due to not playing it and moving on.

If I've not posted this before, I think a lot of us used to be 33 LP play-by-ear learners who picked up some habits along the way that made it more difficult for younger students to practice correctly than not. Then, as cassette tapes made the scene, some of us gravitated towards that.

With the advent of YouTube and apps that slow down and loop/repeat musical parts so as to ease learning, this has also increased the number of people who are playing with more proficiency, and at an earlier age, than their respective counterparts who gained the same learning at a later stage in life.

So when I hear little Johnny pulling off lightening-fast arpeggios and tapping technique, I don't automatically suppose he's gained this knowledge from a teacher. Perhaps his own tenacity a student of self-taught guitar, but a student, just the same.

So...many moons ago I was asked to learn a song off of vinyl. The problem was my cheap record player was far enough off speed that I learned it in Eb but everybody else thought it should be played in E.

So...many moons ago I was asked to learn a song off of vinyl. The problem was my cheap record player was far enough off speed that I learned it in Eb but everybody else thought it should be played in E.

That accounts for the wow and flutter. You were a natural SRV, then, no? (Um, a natural, not A Natural)

Back