How many learned like this??

This explains a lot Al.

:D:p:D

Tip of the iceberg.

She gave away a couple bags of comic books that I had. I was not happy. Sometime later (no idea how long), there was a news story about how much comic books were beginning to be worth. She was really upset because she remembered giving them away. Nothing I had was worth anything, so I told her that and relieved her of her guilt. Right?

Hell no.

Two years ago I did this. :(

JNHRUrQ.jpg

I rather not think about the money I spend on them. GP and the British mags were expensive. Kept the mags with tabs. Probably the same quantity like the one in the trunk :eek:

I think I learned “Jet City Woman” and “Battery” from magazines, there weren’t really any Cro-mags, Bad Brains, or Dead Kennedy’s tabs, and that’s what I was into back then.

I do have a soft spot for Guitar World though.
The thought of you listening to Jet City Woman, much less learning to play it, just made my brain melt.:eek::D

Tip of the iceberg.

She gave away a couple bags of comic books that I had. I was not happy. Sometime later (no idea how long), there was a news story about how much comic books were beginning to be worth. She was really upset because she remembered giving them away. Nothing I had was worth anything, so I told her that and relieved her of her guilt. Right?

Hell no.

They’re a guilty pleasure of mine. I get drunk and find myself listening to a song at least, once or twice a year when nobody’s looking.
I’ll now forever picture you singing at the top of your lungs, one hand out like you’re holding a crystal ball. I feel like this could be a new taxi ride memory with DFD next year.

My kinda thread...recently sold (yes, someone actually bought a box or two) of older mags...Loved Guitar Player and World...still have a few boxes...(yes, near my "thinking room".)
Wife still insists I clear out more crap...But clutter makes hiding new acquisitions easier, though!!!!

Some years ago, I bought something like 100 copies of Guitar Player. Back issues that I couldn't get. Covers most of the 70s, and it had the Kiss cover issue from 1979, which I hadn't been able to get my hands on (and my mother had refused to buy me at a music store when it was a new issue). I still subscribe to too many guitar magazines - a couple years ago, I started a project to catch up on Vintage Guitar. My goal was one issue per week for the year, which I actually exceeded, but it took me almost the next year to fully catch up. I've stayed up to date on that, but I'm a few years behind on GP, and let's just not mention Premier Guitar (Sept. 2014). I did have to stop reading every article - I started skipping the jazz guys and the reviews of guitars and amps that I know I won't buy.

Portnoy posted a story on his IG last week of him cleaning out some old issues. Check out his room in this link. It shows about a third of what is in that room, and that was after his "cleaning".

https://www.instagram.com/p/B2fD1NKDNxb/

I still have the majority of mine, circa late 80's through late 90's. As of today, they remain fairly intact residing in a bookcase somewhere in the back of the storage room.

My wife has volumes of cooking magazines like Bon Appetit in binders and cases, and much to my surprise when I suggested throwing them out, she actually uses them!

I haven’t ever saved a magazine beyond a few weeks after I’ve read it. When the next issue came out, the old one got tossed.

For the last few years, all of my magazine subscriptions have been on the iPad, so I purge them less frequently. They don’t take up space in my den.

However, when my kids were in elementary school, we bought a beautiful set of World Books for them to use. They’re geared toward children more than serious researchers.

However, I can’t bear to throw them out, because we got the super deluxe set and they’re actually very attractive. So I use them as sound diffusers on a bookshelf in my recording room (books are pretty good at doing that).

When my kids were little, they’d often ask me to help them learn things with the encyclopedia. After they were done, I found reading the rest of the volume kind of interesting. So I read pretty much the entire set over my three kids’ school years.

Yes, I read most of an encyclopedia. It’s a lot like reading a telephone book, only slightly more interesting. This will confirm the fact of my weirdness for most everyone! ;)

Edit: When my wife likes to tell friends that I did that as she complains about what a strange trip it’s been to be married to me, they get this expression on their faces like, “WTF”, and I get this look of complete puzzlement, like, who are you?

Last edited:
I’ll now forever picture you singing at the top of your lungs, one hand out like you’re holding a crystal ball. I feel like this could be a new taxi ride memory with DFD next year.

Quite possibly!!! I still remember some of it.

Three weeks ago, after tacos, he played it in his kitchen on my 509 through a THR-10!

Ha! That’s right!!

I actually still have the one with Metallica on the cover along with a few others. Occasionally still check out the tabs or the guest artist lesson articles. Back in the day I remember thinking the only way to play a song was to memorize it note for note from the transcription. Now a days I’m lucky enough to play a bit more free form where we follow the general structure and chord progressions but are free to make it our own so I mostly use tab to learn how others approach riffs and bass lines within the progression to help me find new ways to come up with my own.

Tablature has been in use since at least the Medieval era, it isn’t a creature of the magazine world. It’s pretty cool to learn fingering with it, but I learned music on piano with pitch notation pretty young, so I stuck with that. At some point I got lazy and started playing by ear.

Even pitch notation can allow a player to do very well just mechanically reading and playing notes, and not understanding any theory at all. My mother is very musical, and plays well sight reading, but if someone told her to play a g minor chord, she wouldn’t have a clue how to do it. Come to think of it, the fact that she can still sight read and play music at 95 is pretty good!

I think understanding the “why” of music might be a different skill than reading using either type of notation.
I empathize with your mother. Learning to read music starting in 4th grade on a monophonic instrument handicaps you for polyphony ( at least, it did me). The first time I really tried to play piano scores, I realized that having played/read both treble and bass clef instruments, I understood what was going on, but DAMN, how do I do both at the same time??!! So much respect for sight reading pianists.

I started playing guitar because I couldn’t play by ear at the time (14 years old). Refused to sight read guitar for this reason and I regret not folding that skill in with training my ear.

I started playing guitar because I couldn’t play by ear at the time (14 years old). Refused to sight read guitar for this reason and I regret not folding that skill in with training my ear.

The way I figure it, there’s only so much stuff you can cram into your head in the course of a life, and the amount varies from person to person.

Sometimes a man’s gotta roll with what he’s got.

...However, when my kids were in elementary school, we bought a beautiful set of World Books for them to use. They’re geared toward children more than serious researchers.

However, I can’t bear to throw them out, because we got the super deluxe set and they’re actually very attractive. So I use them as sound diffusers on a bookshelf in my recording room (books are pretty good at doing that).

When my kids were little, they’d often ask me to help them learn things with the encyclopedia. After they were done, I found reading the rest of the volume kind of interesting. So I read pretty much the entire set over my three kids’ school years.

Yes, I read most of an encyclopedia. It’s a lot like reading a telephone book, only slightly more interesting. This will confirm the fact of my weirdness for most everyone!

Les, you're not weird. In fact, your family was much like mine.

My family used to own a set of Britannica's from the early 50's that were verbose, no pictures, and outdated. In the mid-70's Mom was approached by an Encyclopedia salesman (yes, they had those back then) who sold her a set of World Books.

My Dad was outraged. Imagine his wife going against him and buying something of great expense without asking him first? My Dad almost didn't talk to Mom for 2 days.

The World Books had already arrived and took up a place in one of my Dad's homebuilt sliding door furniture cabinets in the living room. The Britannica's were relegated to the basement dry-bar cabinetry.

At the very young age of 10 years old, I had a talk with Dad and helped him see how the World Books would benefit us kids. Gradually, in the timeframe of about a day, Dad apologized to Mom and hugged her, saying she had done the correct thing, but next time, asked if she would please consider his feelings first before spending money on his children's education. I think Mom never knew I had spoken to Dad, only recently did I make it known to her, for which she was grateful, expressing her thanks for helping smooth over a particularly difficult time in their marriage where Mom almost lost Dad over an otherwise trivial disagreement that might have escalated into resentment and something worse.

And the World Books remained. Every chance I got, typically, if I needed reading material while sitting on the toilet, the World Books would be part of my daily reading regimen.

And that's exactly what it was. The World Books fulfilled a need in our household. I firmly believe that spending so much time reading the World Book Encyclopedia helped me with my school work later on, and helped me be the better student that I was back then.

Back