How many is enoughj?

aristotle

The question is philosophical, not financial or moral.

I have 13 PRS guitars, and more than that amount again of other stuff. For whatever reason (actually, I know the reason, but it's not particularly relevant) I've called enough is enough. Same goes with amps. Although I love the selection, I end up with the same 4 or so guitars through the same 4 or so amps.

My attitude sort of surprises me. Thoughts?

once I get over 8 or so I usually start to think about cashing a few in and turning them into a new motorcycle then I start the collecting over again

I reach critical mass, sell off a few things and then repeat. After moving from a house, that was way more space than we needed or desired, into a much smaller condo across the street from my work most of my quantity problems were solved. We purchased our condo furnished and guitars look out of place so I keep all of my guitars in a coat closet that we weren't using. Right now, I figure whatever I can fit into that closet is fair game. I quickly learned I could fit more guitars in there if there were in gig bags rather than cases so I bought about, well...let's just say a few, gig bags immediately.

I feel like my collection is complete now for PRS at least. I still kinda want a hollow body guitar at some point in my life so who knows what my mid life crisis will bring me.

I'll be done once I have a clean pre-CBS Strat, a Broadcaster, a No Caster, an Esquire, a LP Jr, a 1959 ES-335, a double-neck Dragon, a Newburgh-era Steinberger (in red), a JF65-12 Guild, a Duesenberg Starplayer, an old EG with 3 domino pups, a Korina McCarty in Natural with Gold Hardware (you reading this, Mintzer?), a 2004 Modern Eagle in FBJ, either a pre-Factory or NAMM 20 PRS, a Gretsch White Falcon, a Gibson Korina Vee, a vintage Charvel super-strat, a vintage Jackson Soloist, an old Bernie Rico Mockingbord, a US-Made Warlock, an Alembic Little Darling, a 1969 Dan Armstrong, A Les Paul Custom in Black with Gold Hardware...

You get the idea. Too many great guitars out there to bother calling it quits.

I like to play everything I own as much as possible. I've narrowed to down to 4. 3 electrics and 1 acoustic and I'm happy.

Whenever I ask myself this question, I refer to the flow chart ;):D:eek:.

GS_FlowChart_TooManyGuitars.jpg

I've got 4 electrics and 1 acoustic. Honestly, all of my electrics get pretty equal play except for one. I don't know that I would really want much more than I already have. There's a few guitars that I might nab, but more as replacements (upgrades) to some of my current guitars, not so much as additional sounds I want.

My current lineup is: S2 Custom 24, American Standard Strat, '72 Tele deluxe Reissue, MiM Tele, and an SE Angelus.

My ideal lineup: P22 Artist (w/ Maple neck and RW board), American Standard Strat (same as above), '72 Tele Deluxe Reissue (same as above), a Studio or Swamp Ash Studio, a McCarty or DGT, and a Taylor acoustic.

Last edited:
The point at which one starts thinking "Enough is enough," is the point at which enough definitely is enough.

But...leave yourself a little wiggle room in case you decide differently at some point. ;)

The question is philosophical, not financial or moral.

I have 13 PRS guitars, and more than that amount again of other stuff. For whatever reason (actually, I know the reason, but it's not particularly relevant) I've called enough is enough. Same goes with amps. Although I love the selection, I end up with the same 4 or so guitars through the same 4 or so amps.

My attitude sort of surprises me. Thoughts?

I totally get it. I think I hit nine total electrics at one point, and then pared down to my top four. Went from three amps to two. May add just one more guitar back into the mix. ;)

In the past my answer to this question would have been you can never have too many guitars assuming you can afford them. That belief led to me owning a lot of guitars. Really an absurd number during the height of my insanity. I don't know what the correct number is for me now but I'm quite certain that I could be perfectly content with only a single guitar and a single amp. That's not happening anytime soon though.

I'll be done once I have a clean pre-CBS Strat, a Broadcaster, a No Caster, an Esquire, a LP Jr, a 1959 ES-335, a double-neck Dragon, a Newburgh-era Steinberger (in red), a JF65-12 Guild, a Duesenberg Starplayer, an old EG with 3 domino pups, a Korina McCarty in Natural with Gold Hardware (you reading this, Mintzer?), a 2004 Modern Eagle in FBJ, either a pre-Factory or NAMM 20 PRS, a Gretsch White Falcon, a Gibson Korina Vee, a vintage Charvel super-strat, a vintage Jackson Soloist, an old Bernie Rico Mockingbord, a US-Made Warlock, an Alembic Little Darling, a 1969 Dan Armstrong, A Les Paul Custom in Black with Gold Hardware...

You get the idea. Too many great guitars out there to bother calling it quits.
Gotta like a man with a plan!

In addition to the PRS guitars, I have two vintage '54 Les Pauls (one minty clean original and one that was refin'd at the Gibson factory as a burst in '59). I have a couple of great 335s, Gibson's 20th Anniversary (of the custom shop) '57 black beauty reissue with the gold waffle tuners and gold pickups (complete with white gloves), a dozen or so Custom Shop Les Pauls, all great (though not PRS great) and a vintage firebird. Plus a few Fenders and a couple of Knaggs and one of the original Parkers. And a few Taylor acoustics.

I pretty much exclusively play the PS DG Stoptail, the P22, the McCarty NF3 and the Vela live.

I do take the rest out on occasion, but not enough to justify it anymore.

The point at which one starts thinking "Enough is enough," is the point at which enough definitely is enough.

But...leave yourself a little wiggle room in case you decide differently at some point. ;)

There's wiggle room, and then there's wiggle room. Pretty sure that it'd take some time to get to the point that I'd have to worry about it.

In the past my answer to this question would have been you can never have too many guitars assuming you can afford them. That belief led to me owning a lot of guitars. Really an absurd number during the height of my insanity. I don't know what the correct number is for me now but I'm quite certain that I could be perfectly content with only a single guitar and a single amp. That's not happening anytime soon though.

Sounds like we're occupying the same place at the same time...

Back