How long you guys playing PRS guitars??

After playing borrowed and/or stolen partscasters and dumpster **** since I was 15 y.o., I walked into the Guitar Center on Van Ness Ave. in San Francisco in 2005 and saw a wall of PRS guitars. I played several sensational PRS guitars, but being fit to the slab body at the time, I settled into an SE Soapbar II and could not believe the tone, playability and voice of the mahogany/P90 recipe, and how comfortable it was with the neck angle and how the hardtail bridge felt underneath my palm. I recall making a hell of a lot of noise for about an hour, then as I paused to contemplate the guitar's future--and noting a few people eyeing the guitar over my shoulder--I bought it. I've had the fork in me ever since.

Sept or October of '95. Had just purchased my first used car and drove to East Coast Music in SW CT. Long story short, picked up a CE22 bolt-on tortoise shell non-10 Dragon II uncovered pickups, 5-way rotary. Then, in '97, from Ron's Guitars, SE CT, a custom-ordered Cu22 Royal Blue Stoptail, 3-way toggle, with coil-taps. Don't remember what pickups or whether the guitar was a 10-top or not.

Your timing is fine. You gotta start sometime. Think of all the guys still stuck in neutral!

In 20 years you'll be an old fart like us!

You have a point. I really love it and I foresee myself investing more money in the future.

-k

Early 1990, my first was a 1989 Cust24 signature series. Loved the playability, sold my Kramer’s and Les Paul’s. By 93 I owned 2 cust24’s and a CE24.
Hi, I have been playing guitar for 45 years but got my first PRS yesterday! Its a 1990 EG4, black, bolt on neck, Fat Strat type guitar. I am struggling to find wiring schematics online , which I am keen to do as I can't work out the tone controls-they seem to function almost identically on all three PUs, (roll off all the high end, though one seems to have more effect than the other, though its pretty marginal tbh.) and I can't suss out the configuration.
I have some high end US guitars, Gibson LP, Gretsch Silver Falcon and USA Fender Tele so I am used to tone controls but this has me beat at the minute.
Can anyone help?

Last edited:
Back