How long to schedule a build?

elvis

Hamfisted String Banger
How long from when PRS gets the order/deposit to when they schedule a build? I am on a couple of months now, not sure how long the wait typically is.

With regard to Private Stock, I just put in a build order a couple of weeks ago, and ETA is December.

Kevin

Thanks for the responses!

I'm actually not looking for delivery date (though I can't wait...). I'm curious how long it should take for the build to be scheduled, such that I get an ETA from PRS/my dealer.

I agree that you can't rush quality, and if waiting longer means they do a better job, I am in no rush. This is an artist package and I want it to be a keeper.

WOW!!! That's not bad. When I was ordering Custom Shop Jackson's (AKAI-era) I would wait 2-3 years sometimes!!! Made getting AWESOME stuff easy because I had FOREVER to play for it, lol.....the QUICKEST I ever got a guitar was 12 months and it was pretty plain-Jane: single humbucker/volume, bolt-on, solid white. Standard woods, dot inlay....crazy, huh?

[...] and if waiting longer means they do a better job, [...].
I contradict this opinion. In most cases it is not the pretense of quality that drives time in a production chain. It is the amount of order situation AND the focal point of model production.
I´ll give an example: A lot of purchasers of PS models were forced to be very patient to accept an delayed hand-over date by PRS last year´s Guitar of the month approach...
This year the Reclaimed Limited and other Special runs (with a certain amount of items) wil delay core production. It´s a zero-sum-situation by the fact that running specials won´t lead to extra employments. The capital (e.g. employees) will remain at the same level.

I don´t want to bad-mouth PRS´ quality. The variance of getting a PRS with issues (lacquer, hardware) is very narrow obviously.

I contradict this opinion. In most cases it is not the pretense of quality that drives time in a production chain. It is the amount of order situation AND the focal point of model production.
I´ll give an example: A lot of purchasers of PS models were forced to be very patient to accept an delayed hand-over date by PRS last year´s Guitar of the month approach...
This year the Reclaimed Limited and other Special runs (with a certain amount of items) wil delay core production. It´s a zero-sum-situation by the fact that running specials won´t lead to extra employments. The capital (e.g. employees) will remain at the same level.

I don´t want to bad-mouth PRS´ quality. The variance of getting a PRS with issues (lacquer, hardware) is very narrow obviously.

It's a lot of things, but it obviously includes the fact that it takes a certain amount of time to build a PRS. The necks are allowed to acclimate after being carved for a month before being attached to a body, for example; this is so they don't twist or warp. And every step along the way also takes time.

So it's both the production schedule, i.e., what's already being ordered or is in the pipeline, AND the amount of time it takes to make a PRS.

Shawn stated the average amount of time certain types of PRS line require for being made. But that's not the key point. In these specific corridors PRS' own pretense of quality is included (after CNC driven cutting all the hand-crafted things (e.g. neck carving)). The focal point is what is responsible for delay (not accident driven) but by producers intent (and this is limited or special runs which require given capital).

Last edited:
I ordered a 513 Artist Package Maple neck/board in Copperhead for my 50th Birthday on June 9th, 2016. 1st estimate was 5 months, then late Jan 2017 was the next estimate from my dealers PRS sales rep. I called my dealer and asked for another update. He said he would call the PRS sales rep again. 10 months wait so far and no update yet. Sigh.....
This is not he first time I have heard of these Artist Package wait times but seriously? Getting a little antsy ovah heah! :D

What he is asking for is how long it takes the dealer to find out what the eta is. You know, "I haven't heard from my dealer in 4 weeks." Does that mean the dealer hasn't gotten an ETA from PRS, or that the dealer isn't communicating well?

Last edited:
Back