How it started...how it's going (Custom 24 refinish content)

Just curious, what were the storage conditions that led to it fading so quickly? i.e. exposed to direct sunlight much of the day, etc.?
First I should mention that's a beautiful refinish. Too bad the OP had to go down that path but it looks great.

I'm not sure the storage conditions matter all that much when it comes to PRS finish fading. Sunlight may accelerate it but I can speak from experience that keeping a PRS cased will not necessarily prevent it.

First I should mention that's a beautiful refinish. Too bad the OP had to go down that path but it looks great.

I'm not sure the storage conditions matter all that much when it comes to PRS finish fading. Sunlight may accelerate it but I can speak from experience that keeping a PRS cased will not necessarily prevent it.
I really liked the original finish before it started to fade, to say the least, green being my favorite color. I have 3 older PRS guitars, and none of them have faded. Granted, they're Mccarty Sunburst, Black Cherry, and Orange Tiger. Most the PRSs I've seen that have faded are blues/yellows/greens, so maybe that's a part of it. That said, I surely love the new color the most. I'll try to post a familia picture soon.

I really liked the original finish before it started to fade, to say the least, green being my favorite color. I have 3 older PRS guitars, and none of them have faded. Granted, they're Mccarty Sunburst, Black Cherry, and Orange Tiger. Most the PRSs I've seen that have faded are blues/yellows/greens, so maybe that's a part of it. That said, I surely love the new color the most. I'll try to post a familia picture soon.

I've had multiple blue ones that faded pretty significantly. I've also had issues with the finishes turning milky and with the finish peeling off around the fretboard. Basically if there is a finish issue out there that can happen on a PRS, I've had it happen. Oh well.

I love how yours turned out.

Looks great. I like both colors but it's you guitar and you should get what you want. The re-fin looks like a factory job! Congrats!

One last post for the kids, 'cause if any of you are like me you get on here to look at others' PRS guitars. From left to right: Satin Seafoam Green Metallic S2 Custom 24 with Seymour Phat Cats, Black Cherry Custom 22 with \m/ Neck and Tremonti Bridge, Orange Tiger Custom 24 w/ 85/15 set, McCarty Sunburst Custom 22 w/ Rosewood neck and 85/15 set, and of course the aforementioned Green Custom 24 with \m/ set. The green actually looks slightly subdued here compared to my previous photos, but like I said before, no direct sunlight in this room!

Great collection. Such a shame about fading. It’s why I won’t spend big money on blues, purple, or greens that have transparent finishes. Beautiful guitars but I don’t have the space for giant guitar cases laying around to keep them in when not played.

One last post for the kids, 'cause if any of you are like me you get on here to look at others' PRS guitars. From left to right: Satin Seafoam Green Metallic S2 Custom 24 with Seymour Phat Cats, Black Cherry Custom 22 with \m/ Neck and Tremonti Bridge, Orange Tiger Custom 24 w/ 85/15 set, McCarty Sunburst Custom 22 w/ Rosewood neck and 85/15 set, and of course the aforementioned Green Custom 24 with \m/ set. The green actually looks slightly subdued here compared to my previous photos, but like I said before, no direct sunlight in this room!
Really like the mccarty

Back