How is the scarf joint on your Silver sky? Is it very visible?

HFB6HWp.jpg

X6jXb0G.jpg
WqsNFGD.jpg

Same here. In some light and angle (like on my pic) it is hardly noticable. At other angles, it looks like yours.

It is a well done joint in any case. I started this thread as a way to know what the tendency was lookwise and not to say that this is a bad thing. On the first SS I looked at it was VERY noticable (not pretty I must say) and it got me by surprise because I've seen quite a few PRS and didn't expect it on a core instrument. Now I know better! :D

This thread has made me completely OK with whatever the scarf joint looks like. I didn't have any expectations when I finally ordered mine.

it got me by surprise because I've seen quite a few PRS and didn't expect it on a core instrument.

The Silver Sky isn't actually classified as part of the core range and is classified alongside the CE's - which all now seem to be called the 'Bolt-on' series. In other words, the Silver Sky and the CE 24 and CE 24 semi-hollow are all classified in the same range. That may also contribute to the fact that the Silver Sky also comes in a Gig Bag too. Apart from the different shape of the 'upside down' headstock, the Neck should be very similar to any CE necks - all would have the Scarf joint as well as the extra bit glued on at the heel.

In theory at least, you could check all CE's as an example of what you could and perhaps may expect from these necks in terms of visibility of the Scarf joint as they are all essentially part of the same range of PRS guitars....

Why does it have a scarf joint? No vintage strat or custom shop strat or any American or Japanese strat (at least that I've played) have ever had a scarf joint in the neck. Cost cutting?

Did you read all 4 pages, or just post at the end of the thread :rolleyes:

I did read it but somehow missed the spot in post 47, page 3 where it was referenced, though not clearly stated that it's purely a cost cutting measure.
As this guitar was supposed to be everything Mayer wanted, I didn't know if there was another consideration. I read on another site that grain angle above the scarf joint and headstock angle had some benefits but that didn't seem right.

Anyway, please except my most sarcastic apology for not living up to your expectations with my internet post which was meant to spur conversation and gain clarity for myself and others. Most of this thread was about the appearance of the scarf joint, not the purpose of it.

I bet I’m alone, but I think that closed back Kluson style tuners look really cheesy. It”s too bad that the PRS phase III lockers are so expensive.

I'm sure PRS will release versions with upgraded tuners, woods, finishes.
They should make a Bronze and Gold Sky T-Style guitar in 2 trim levels and add a Platinum Sky private stock S-type.

IMHO the best scarf joints were rolled by Steven Tyler in 1978.
my boy Willie would smoke him under the table! :D:D

So, on the topic. I can see why you’d ask, if you think yours might be different from others you’ve seen. I’ve seen some pics of guitars for sale before, where they actually highlighted the scarf joint as the triangular angle cuts were kind of cool looking where it joined.

I did read it but somehow missed the spot in post 47, page 3 where it was referenced, though not clearly stated that it's purely a cost cutting measure.
As this guitar was supposed to be everything Mayer wanted, I didn't know if there was another consideration. I read on another site that grain angle above the scarf joint and headstock angle had some benefits but that didn't seem right.

Anyway, please except my most sarcastic apology for not living up to your expectations with my internet post which was meant to spur conversation and gain clarity for myself and others. Most of this thread was about the appearance of the scarf joint, not the purpose of it.

It does cut down on cost because they don’t have to use as much maple. A one piece neck blank is a big piece of wood. The scarf joint is actually stronger than one piece of wood, so it isn’t purely cost cutting. Lots of manufacturers use scarf joints (Taylor, for one). It’s not a bad thing, which others have tried to make it seem that way in a couple of threads here.

It does cut down on cost because they don’t have to use as much maple. A one piece neck blank is a big piece of wood. The scarf joint is actually stronger than one piece of wood, so it isn’t purely cost cutting. Lots of manufacturers use scarf joints (Taylor, for one). It’s not a bad thing, which others have tried to make it seem that way in a couple of threads here.
What’s up with this??!! Granted, most cost-cutting measures are a compromise in something, but not always in playability or tone. And considering the scarcity of certain woods, wouldn’t you want to stretch utilization as much as possible? My Vela looks fantastic and plays/sounds even better. The thought never crossed my mind that the scarf joint was a compromise.

vela7.jpg

What’s up with this??!! Granted, most cost-cutting measures are a compromise in something, but not always in playability or tone. And considering the scarcity of certain woods, wouldn’t you want to stretch utilization as much as possible? My Vela looks fantastic and plays/sounds even better. The thought never crossed my mind that the scarf joint was a compromise.

vela7.jpg
Exactly!

Back