How is the scarf joint on your Silver sky? Is it very visible?

Jkater

Hi everyone!
I just received a Silver sky and the scarf joint near the headstock was quite noticeable due to different shades of the two maple pieces. While I find scarf joint a great idea from a functional point of view, it did bother me a bit from the esthetic. How is it on your SS?
If you were able to post pics, I would appreciate very much.
Thanks all!

Is it just me or are we seeing more and more posts that really are not worth making?

What difference does it make if a scarf joint is more visible considering EVERYONE knows that a Silver Sky (or any PRS bolt on or any neck from the SE and S2 lines too I believe) uses a Scarf joint as part of a 3 piece neck construction. Short of painting over the neck as a lot of Guitars have to hide joints, unless its made of multiple strips of course, is common practice but with a Maple neck like the SS has and to keep the neck feel without layers of paint, it makes sense to keep it visible.

Whether others may or may not have a particularly noticeable joint or not doesn't matter at all. For a start, you are relying on peoples opinion and their own decision on whether its more/less visible to them which cannot be compared to yours as they have absolutely no reference point as you have not provided any evidence of how 'bad' yours actually is and whether theirs are more/less different than yours, whether you are being more picky or not than they are etc.

None of that matters though because all that does is whether or not you like the way it sounds, plays and feels. EVERY SS has a scarf joint so you are not getting a 'worse' instrument than anyone else. If yours is a 'bit more' noticeable than others, what are you going to do? Are you going to send it bacx? I assume you bought online because if you bought in a Shop then you had the ample opportunity to inspect it (and maybe others) to know the answer and only yourself to 'blame' if aesthetically its not up to the standard you hoped for some reason. You are ALWAYS the final QC check and either send it back or don't buy if its not up to you QC check. So what would you do if its more obvious than some others? Would you return a perfectly great instrument that plays, sounds and feels like all the others just because the Scarf joint is a bit more noticeable? Any other replacement will have a Scarf joint and the line is always going to be seen if you want to go looking for it.

I just don't understand why posts like this, why someone would create a profile and make their first post about whether or not others have a more/less obvious scarf joint, more/less obvious use of different coloured maple. What next? will we get a post asking whether or not the maple heel joint and shade of maple is more obvious? Really does it matter and are you really that bothered that you would actually send it back and keep having a different one sent until you find one that the shade of maple is the same?

Is it just me or are we seeing more and more posts that really are not worth making?

What difference does it make if a scarf joint is more visible considering EVERYONE knows that a Silver Sky (or any PRS bolt on or any neck from the SE and S2 lines too I believe) uses a Scarf joint as part of a 3 piece neck construction. Short of painting over the neck as a lot of Guitars have to hide joints, unless its made of multiple strips of course, is common practice but with a Maple neck like the SS has and to keep the neck feel without layers of paint, it makes sense to keep it visible.

Whether others may or may not have a particularly noticeable joint or not doesn't matter at all. For a start, you are relying on peoples opinion and their own decision on whether its more/less visible to them which cannot be compared to yours as they have absolutely no reference point as you have not provided any evidence of how 'bad' yours actually is and whether theirs are more/less different than yours, whether you are being more picky or not than they are etc.

None of that matters though because all that does is whether or not you like the way it sounds, plays and feels. EVERY SS has a scarf joint so you are not getting a 'worse' instrument than anyone else. If yours is a 'bit more' noticeable than others, what are you going to do? Are you going to send it bacx? I assume you bought online because if you bought in a Shop then you had the ample opportunity to inspect it (and maybe others) to know the answer and only yourself to 'blame' if aesthetically its not up to the standard you hoped for some reason. You are ALWAYS the final QC check and either send it back or don't buy if its not up to you QC check. So what would you do if its more obvious than some others? Would you return a perfectly great instrument that plays, sounds and feels like all the others just because the Scarf joint is a bit more noticeable? Any other replacement will have a Scarf joint and the line is always going to be seen if you want to go looking for it.

I just don't understand why posts like this, why someone would create a profile and make their first post about whether or not others have a more/less obvious scarf joint, more/less obvious use of different coloured maple. What next? will we get a post asking whether or not the maple heel joint and shade of maple is more obvious? Really does it matter and are you really that bothered that you would actually send it back and keep having a different one sent until you find one that the shade of maple is the same?

:rolleyes: You just wrote more in response to this one post than I do all week. Was it worth posting? Is anything worth posting? Can’t someone post something just because they’re curious?

Thank you Mozzi, Yes you are absolutely correct and I can see that my post can be seen (or interpreted) as me being overly picky for something that, indeed, has no impact on what makes the SS a great guitar. I posted this question because I got one that had a very pronounced scarf joint and I was just curious how often that is. I did return one that was a rather dirty and used display model that I paid full price for online and this, I won't have. (Ok with B-stock or clean returned items). My next one is coming in the mail and you may forgive me for making myself feel better about how the scarf joint usually look like. Some folks are picky about how much rust there is on the pickguard screws of their Murphy aged guitar. We all pay attention to different things. I appreciate that you respect that. And NO, I would not send a SS back because of a normal shade in the wood. :)

PS: As to your judgment that my post was not worth making, I don't know. Someone may enjoy responding to that question or even enjoy seeing it answered if I am not the only one who wondered about it.

Last edited:
:rolleyes: You just wrote more in response to this one post than I do all week. Was it worth posting? Is anything worth posting? Can’t someone post something just because they’re curious?
Merci Sergio, nice to be validated,eh. Being new to the SS, I am indeed a little curious about it. I have two other PRS and this did surprise me a bit. As to my taste, which I am allowed to have, I'm hoping for a discreet looking joint simply because I happen to prefer that look. But if the rest of the guitar is glorious, I'll take whatever in that regards.

Merci Sergio, nice to be validated,eh. Being new to the SS, I am indeed a little curious about it. I have two other PRS and this did surprise me a bit. As to my taste, which I am allowed to have, I'm hoping for a discreet looking joint simply because I happen to prefer that look. But if the rest of the guitar is glorious, I'll take whatever in that regards.

Right on! Keep posting, that’s what this place is for.

Is it just me or are we seeing more and more posts that really are not worth making?....

Not necessarily this one in particular, but yes, plenty of posts lately in the wrong section, or about other brands and topics that don't belong here, and they are ruining the forum, and putting me off of the whole thing. :(

I never paid attention to the SS neck, assuming it was the same as the F brand, one solid piece. Now I know different.

Welcome to the forum!

It wasn't specifically directed at you but that I see quite a lot of new threads from people whose first post is about something that doesn't really make any difference. People that haven't bothered introducing themselves and just joining to make a comment about something quite petty and by petty I mean something that doesn't fundamentally affect the playability, the sound and function, something extremely minor that also cannot be fixed or changed. I know that some things affect people differently but I was more referring to the Guitar as a whole and, you mist admit that in terms of the instrument, the way it plays, sounds and feels and the overall look - particularly from the front, a more noticeable scarf joint and headstock shade isn't something 'major' or something any one of us could actually help to put right.

If you don't like it aesthetically - even if it is petty in the whole scheme of things, you have the option to send back for example but asking us if anyone of us has something like or better/worse with out any picture is also difficult. If, for example, I have one that is a darker shade, I could see that has not too extremely different and say its different but not bad despite the fact that it is more different than yours - its perception and without a reference - ie a Pic of yours, no one can say that yours is good, bad or normal.

You have 2 choices, keep or send back and asking the question is irrelevant because if its more unacceptable to you - even if its 'normal' with some better, some worse for example - is that going to change what you decide to do? Will you keep or send back based on the perception of others that have, in general, all accepted that the SS fitted in their collection with a Scarf joint because they are all happy with it as an instrument and he way it feels, plys and sounds.

Its not like asking if the bridge is set right or whether or not you can change string gauge without having to tweak some thing, not like asking if their Tone/Volume control is behaving properly - things that people can actually advise and all affect the playability and/or function. I am not calling you petty or overly picky, but more that the overall aspect and context of the question is. Like I said, none of us can say its better, normal or worse without a reference picture and whether or not the result of the answers would actually have any impact on your decision to keep or send back - despite sounding, feeling and playing like any other and those others having a scarf joint too.

I am sorry that you happened to have my response and sorry if I upset or annoyed you. You just so happened to be the latest person whose first post was a trivial question - again in the whole context of the instrument - the way it sounds, plays, feels and functions - and something that none of us can advise on especially with no reference to see if yours in particular was better, average or worse than what others can compare theirs to. It would be nice for people who really want to be part of the community actually introduce themselves first, make a few contributions to the Forum - enough at least to be able to post Pictures of their instrument that show any areas they have some curiosity or concern over. I doubt that my reaction, which I am sorry you happened to be the one that got that reaction, would have been the same and, with a picture, there would be more people that can compare and maybe even post pictures of theirs to show they are better, the same or worse. If you are not sending it back because you are happy with everything else as I assume if it was that bad that you cannot accept or live with, you would have done so without needing to ask the question. If you are happy, and just curious, then it would be better if you introduce yourself, contribute to the forums until you have made sufficient comments to post a picture when you created a post like this.

Again, sorry for my first post and hope you can understand what I meant by 'petty' rather than calling you petty for asking.

@sergiodeblanc

Yes, yes and yes

Although I can't help myself but I feel I must expand on my answers. First off yes it was worth posting if not for the OP or anyone else, it was for me. Anything is worth posting if it has beneficial use to someone - inc the poster if not to anyone else. I am more than happy if people wish to know something of they are just 'curious' but I do feel that is better coming from someone who has introduced themselves and made enough posts to add pictures - especially in this instance as none of us have a reference point to say that their Scarf Joint and shade of Maple is better, worse of the same, that theirs is a common example, normal for the Silver Sky or not.

It wasn't specifically directed at you but that I see quite a lot of new threads from people whose first post is about something that doesn't really make any difference. People that haven't bothered introducing themselves and just joining to make a comment about something quite petty and by petty I mean something that doesn't fundamentally affect the playability, the sound and function, something extremely minor that also cannot be fixed or changed. I know that some things affect people differently but I was more referring to the Guitar as a whole and, you mist admit that in terms of the instrument, the way it plays, sounds and feels and the overall look - particularly from the front, a more noticeable scarf joint and headstock shade isn't something 'major' or something any one of us could actually help to put right.

If you don't like it aesthetically - even if it is petty in the whole scheme of things, you have the option to send back for example but asking us if anyone of us has something like or better/worse with out any picture is also difficult. If, for example, I have one that is a darker shade, I could see that has not too extremely different and say its different but not bad despite the fact that it is more different than yours - its perception and without a reference - ie a Pic of yours, no one can say that yours is good, bad or normal.

You have 2 choices, keep or send back and asking the question is irrelevant because if its more unacceptable to you - even if its 'normal' with some better, some worse for example - is that going to change what you decide to do? Will you keep or send back based on the perception of others that have, in general, all accepted that the SS fitted in their collection with a Scarf joint because they are all happy with it as an instrument and he way it feels, plys and sounds.

Its not like asking if the bridge is set right or whether or not you can change string gauge without having to tweak some thing, not like asking if their Tone/Volume control is behaving properly - things that people can actually advise and all affect the playability and/or function. I am not calling you petty or overly picky, but more that the overall aspect and context of the question is. Like I said, none of us can say its better, normal or worse without a reference picture and whether or not the result of the answers would actually have any impact on your decision to keep or send back - despite sounding, feeling and playing like any other and those others having a scarf joint too.

I am sorry that you happened to have my response and sorry if I upset or annoyed you. You just so happened to be the latest person whose first post was a trivial question - again in the whole context of the instrument - the way it sounds, plays, feels and functions - and something that none of us can advise on especially with no reference to see if yours in particular was better, average or worse than what others can compare theirs to. It would be nice for people who really want to be part of the community actually introduce themselves first, make a few contributions to the Forum - enough at least to be able to post Pictures of their instrument that show any areas they have some curiosity or concern over. I doubt that my reaction, which I am sorry you happened to be the one that got that reaction, would have been the same and, with a picture, there would be more people that can compare and maybe even post pictures of theirs to show they are better, the same or worse. If you are not sending it back because you are happy with everything else as I assume if it was that bad that you cannot accept or live with, you would have done so without needing to ask the question. If you are happy, and just curious, then it would be better if you introduce yourself, contribute to the forums until you have made sufficient comments to post a picture when you created a post like this.

Again, sorry for my first post and hope you can understand what I meant by 'petty' rather than calling you petty for asking.

Man, I really appreciate the quality of your input and the effort of giving it. I admit I was at first not overly grateful for being called upon for what is admittedly a superficial post and one of questionnable usefulness to the informed crowd with hands-on appreciation of the SS (I too won't care too much about the look of the joint once I make this guitar my own but for now I am still at that superficial level of how it looks). and I will start my second thread soon to introduce myself properly.
No hard feeling. :) I look forward to share more relevant inputs in the future.
The courtesy of introducing myself first did not occur to me. I reckoned I entered the fray as a nobody and I didn't question that. Thanks for reminding me that this is a community and I look forward to participate.

@sergiodeblanc

Yes, yes and yes

Although I can't help myself but I feel I must expand on my answers. First off yes it was worth posting if not for the OP or anyone else, it was for me. Anything is worth posting if it has beneficial use to someone - inc the poster if not to anyone else. I am more than happy if people wish to know something of they are just 'curious' but I do feel that is better coming from someone who has introduced themselves and made enough posts to add pictures - especially in this instance as none of us have a reference point to say that their Scarf Joint and shade of Maple is better, worse of the same, that theirs is a common example, normal for the Silver Sky or not.

It’s all good. My first posts weren’t all helpful, constructive, and picture laden either, and it’s important to encourage new members to find their place on the forums rather than us being dismissive.

@Jkater was talking about a relevant topic (for them) appropriate to this forum.

This place isn’t all that busy, and it’s not like they were talking about electric ukuleles and Boss amps.

Welcome jkater to the official PRS Forum. I was not aware of a rule that one had to make x amount of posts before stating anything on the Forum. An opinion, a pic, feelings on guits or questions on manufacturing of PRS's. That is the purpose of this forum. If something is inappropriate the mods will pick up on it. I guess everyone has different perspectives on everything! You owe no apologies jkater. If anyone has issues w posts on the PRS Forum there are well qualified mods that can be reported to but members here usually don't judge posts like yours to be near the edge at all. If one feels the rules need changing they need to request to be a mod and be accepted. Then maybe they can try to change what they don't like.

I have a Plat. SS and love it. :D Hope you enjoy yours as much, as well as your future positive interactions here.

It’s all good. My first posts weren’t all helpful, constructive, and picture laden either, and it’s important to encourage new members to find their place on the forums rather than us being dismissive.

@Jkater was talking about a relevant topic (for them) appropriate to this forum.

This place isn’t all that busy, and it’s not like they were talking about electric ukuleles and Boss amps.

You could be more like me, and nail it perfectly every time. :D

Welcome jkater to the official PRS Forum. I was not aware of a rule that one had to make x amount of posts before stating anything on the Forum. An opinion, a pic, feelings on guits or questions on manufacturing of PRS's. That is the purpose of this forum. If something is inappropriate the mods will pick up on it. I guess everyone has different perspectives on everything! You owe no apologies jkater. If anyone has issues w posts on the PRS Forum there are well qualified mods that can be reported to but members here usually don't judge posts like yours to be near the edge at all. If one feels the rules need changing they need to request to be a mod and be accepted. Then maybe they can try to change what they don't like.

I have a Plat. SS and love it. :D Hope you enjoy yours as much, as well as your future positive interactions here.
Thanks Rockmark for your kind words. I feel welcome already. I can't wait to get a feel for my new SS and become blind to everything else. :D

Back