How is the S2 Custom 24 better than the SE?

I have some issues with the McCarty though. It doesn't have 24 frets (though I've made it almost 20 years with the 22 frets on my Santana SE so that's not a deal breaker), I'd prefer a single volume pot and the biggest issue; there is no tremolo.

The purpose of this post wasn't really to find a guitar, but to find out why the S2 line is supposed to be better than SE. If the good thing about the S2 line is that there is no SE McCarty I guess my suspicion might be correct that you're just paying extra to have it manufactured in America.

Hardly. Compare the qualities. You will see them. Check the frets. It’s the little details that matter. And a cheaper maple veneer is cost saving vs true maple top. Can’t overlook that.

Hardly. Compare the qualities. You will see them. Check the frets. It’s the little details that matter. And a cheaper maple veneer is cost saving vs true maple top. Can’t overlook that.

The fretwork and the fact that they use the same fretwire as Core - that alone is worth the price difference to me. Of course, my favorite S2 (favorite guitar, for that matter) is the Vela, so S2 is my only choice :).

I have some issues with the McCarty though. It doesn't have 24 frets (though I've made it almost 20 years with the 22 frets on my Santana SE so that's not a deal breaker), I'd prefer a single volume pot and the biggest issue; there is no tremolo.

The purpose of this post wasn't really to find a guitar, but to find out why the S2 line is supposed to be better than SE. If the good thing about the S2 line is that there is no SE McCarty I guess my suspicion might be correct that you're just paying extra to have it manufactured in America.

I kinda feel you on the four control knobs, I prefer fewer knobbies. Like I said, the S2 is fundamentally what an SE would be if made here and I think it still holds true. I forgot the fretwire is better grade, though SE fretwire...let's put it this way, my Singlecut from '06 is only now showing fret wear after 15 years. Not bad, course I don't kung-fu grip the neck either, but not bad.

You are paying the premium for being made in the US, no doubt, along with other quality of life differences but they are great guitars and worth the price. I still can't say any S2 I've played is going to be crazy better than a well setup SE, but fretwork on S2's has always been rock solid in my experience. The SE's I own or have worked on always needed a little help to play optimally.

Also yeah, no McCarty type model in the SE line....at least not officially, but...*points at odd project hanging on guitar wall behind him*

They both have a true maple top but one has a veneer on top of that that looks better.

You can hear it, feel it and see it, the differences are definitely noticeable. The S2 sound more refined, feel more refined, and look more refined. My example is the SE Cu24 vs the S2 Cu24, same bridge, same pups and electronics, but quite different tone. The question is about whether the difference is worth it to you. I love my SE, they are terrific guitars, great bang for buck, but the S2 are just in a different league. I will always gladly pay more for American made, even if the products are very similar.

Yes, at the end of the day you are paying for it to be assembled in America with a few hardware differences. The other differences are subjective from one guitar or player to another. We could play two of the exact same guitars and one will sound and/or feel better to me than it will to you, vice versa, or even just me or you.

I personally don't feel we can blanket statement that the SE line is lesser or better than S2 across the board. You can say it's more expensive but better is ultimately up to the player, model, and exact guitar. The Custom 24 is where things get the murkiest to me. I don't feel the difference in price new between the SE and S2 Custom 24 is justified. I'd rather have the SE 35th or 24-08 over any S2 Custom 24 and if I liked the way they felt in my hands I think the S2 standard 24 is an awesome buy. When you go used here in the States the choice gets even more difficult when you mix in values to be had. All things considered my shopping order would be:

SE 35th or 24-08 (The most advanced non core Custom 24)
S2 Standard 24 (If you like the finish)
SE Custom 24 (price to quality ratio)
S2 Custom 24 (If they had core pickups it may be different)

Stateside, a few more bucks and one is picking up a used core custom 24 for the price of a new S2 custom 24. I did it twice within the past year. One was less and mint!

They both have a true maple top but one has a veneer on top of that that looks better.

highly debatable that they look better. In theory they should. In reality I would say not with so many SE’s with veneers that don’t look great. Some are absolutely stunning. I saw a Paul’s guitar SE that was drop dead gorgeous. And then I’ve seen some Zach Myers that looked awful.

I will always prefer a true maple top with no veneer. I would find more joy aesthetically. But others could care less. To each their own.

I think all the guitars rock. But the S2 and CE are a step up quality wise and not only a money grab. Which is what the OP asked about. IMHO the quality control from Maryland is significantly better than overseas, even with all the training.

Used PRS market is always great! Sucks for the overseas fellas. But the best bang for the buck!

The Custom 24 is where things get the murkiest to me. I don't feel the difference in price new between the SE and S2 Custom 24 is justified. I'd rather have the SE 35th or 24-08 over any S2 Custom 24 and if I liked the way they felt in my hands I think the S2 standard 24 is an awesome buy. When you go used here in the States the choice gets even more difficult when you mix in values to be had. All things considered my shopping order would be:

SE 35th or 24-08 (The most advanced non core Custom 24)
S2 Standard 24 (If you like the finish)
SE Custom 24 (price to quality ratio)
S2 Custom 24 (If they had core pickups it may be different

I'm pretty much in agreement. The 35th SE, and Paul's SE for that matter, are fantastic instruments and can hang with US models very well. I think those two, and 24-08 SE, is where its at on the SE line. A good chunk is that I really dig the pickups on those models. Stock Custom 24 SEs ive either worked on or tested are not quite in the same league as a stock S2, untill you do some fretwork, then they play like butter.

highly debatable that they look better. In theory they should. In reality I would say not with so many SE’s with veneers that don’t look great. Some are absolutely stunning. I saw a Paul’s guitar SE that was drop dead gorgeous. And then I’ve seen some Zach Myers that looked awful.

I will always prefer a true maple top with no veneer. I would find more joy aesthetically. But others could care less. To each their own.

I think all the guitars rock. But the S2 and CE are a step up quality wise and not only a money grab. Which is what the OP asked about. IMHO the quality control from Maryland is significantly better than overseas, even with all the training.

I agree looks are subjective, plenty of both I've liked and not liked, Hell I've seen core and 10 tops I could say the same for. My point was that they both have the same maple cap but one has a .5mm maple veneer on top of that, not photo like many of us typically associate veneers with. The way your original post read was that the maple on top of a SE is only veneer which isn't the case.

I have a ‘few’ guitars.....with my Vela being one of the guitars I paid least for... But it’s neck and fretboard is one of the best ... a thoroughbred instrument... I must be honest.. I have not played an SE... but the S2 range are quality items

I don't own an SE. Doubt I ever will. I own several far east manufactured guitars that I absolutely love & they all were pretty reasonably priced.

I paid $850 US for one in particular buy it was a pretty specific, "I have to have one of those!!" Kind of things. Other than that I get good quality Asian guitars under $600 & don't understand paying more.

But I generally try to shop in the $800-$1,200 range. & there are some really good MIA deals there, new & used.

I have both an SE 30th Anni Custom 24, and an S2 Custom 24. While they are both fine guitars, the S2 has better wood by far. It's both harder and drier. If I push the headstock on the SE, you can hear the pitch shift up. The S2 won't budge. My SE has a more beautiful veneer top, but I buy by sound, not looks. Because the neck on the S2 is more stable (better,drier woods), the intonation and the tone are better to my ears. I may not be fast, but I can still hear more than I want to. Sorry, Sinsir, there is a discernable difference all the way around.

I have both an SE 30th Anni Custom 24, and an S2 Custom 24. While they are both fine guitars, the S2 has better wood by far. It's both harder and drier. If I push the headstock on the SE, you can hear the pitch shift up. The S2 won't budge. My SE has a more beautiful veneer top, but I buy by sound, not looks. Because the neck on the S2 is more stable (better,drier woods), the intonation and the tone are better to my ears. I may not be fast, but I can still hear more than I want to. Sorry, Sinsir, there is a discernable difference all the way around.

Couldn't that just be because the SE neck is thinner and made of maple compared to the thicker mahogany neck of the S2?

On a side note: would a new SE be a noticeable upgrade from my Santana SE from 2002?

Probably. Watch the latest PRS piece on the Custom 24 with Brian Ewald. I think PRS has constantly improved the doggone things year after year, starting with the Paul siggy on the headstock. I don't know if your Santana has the big "SE" marking on the headstock, but apparently the SE line realized that with Paul taking "ownership", people would perceive a commitment to the product. Heck, after watching that Brian video, if I didn't already have 2 SE's (2018 vintage) I'd have to buy the new one !!! :rolleyes:

Couldn't that just be because the SE neck is thinner and made of maple compared to the thicker mahogany neck of the S2?

On a side note: would a new SE be a noticeable upgrade from my Santana SE from 2002?
I don’t think it’s because the neck is thinner. My old CE24 has an even thinner maple neck that never moves.

I'm sure the S2 wood that doesn't make the grade for core has plenty of time to dry! Lol

I'm not saying there's not a difference . To me it's not worth it for the S2 custom 24. I've personally never experienced an issue with SE wood. Not saying you haven't only that I haven't. My 30th floyd is every bit as solid and stable as my core 24 and after some electronics work sounds 99% as good.

Dave's had a blow out on a used (with an unfortunate ding) 24-08 and it was all I could do to not buy, but that's never happened for a S2 custom 24. Well once but when I showed up the S2 headstock was purple instead of blue. After I played it I bought something else. My 30th, I showed up and the whole blue guitar was blurple. I bought that one. Make of it what one will.

In the end my view on the Custom 24 is go SE (anniversary or 24-08) or save for core if one likes the satin finish check out the standard. Honestly if the S2 custom 24 used core pickups most of these discussions would probably go away...

Back