How is a Mira X vs a S2?

elkend

Looking to buy my first PRS. I heard the core line is worth looking for used. There’s a Mira X I found for a good price similar to a S2. Anyone know how these compare? Like if I find them same price same condition what to pick? I tried the satin neck and love it but not sure if the Mira X is smooth like that. I also heard the Mira X is 5.5 lbs which sounds awesome, and I believe the S2 is heavier?

My son has a Mira X. It's extremely light, plays well, sounds OK, and holds tune well. I've only played one S2, a singlecut standard. I preferred the neck carve on that model. All other aspects were equal.
You can pretty much dial your amp in to get your sound from either. I'd say it's a toss-up. I do prefer the satin finish. Gotta play both; can't go wrong with either.

I had Mira S2 and now have a Mira core model instead. I like the core better, but have no idea on the Mira X ones...
S2 Mira was a good guitar, though!

I bought both Mira X and S2 Singlecut last year. Because they are PRS guitars, they play both very fine, there is no big difference in handling. You should consider a pickup swap, especially on the S2.

2009 Mira X with 59/09 pickups, locking tuners and coil split mini switches, 5.4 lbs :
full

2014 S2 Singlecut Semi Hollow with 57/08 pickups and adjustable stoptail, 6.8 lbs
full

If I had to decide, I would go with the Mira X.

Not all Mira X are 5.5 lbs and I’ve seen S2 Mira at around that weight as well. There’s good variation across guitars of the same model. Personally, I went with the S2 Mira because I like S2 pickguard design better and because I prefer 22 frets. I find the Mira “S” pickups phenomenal, but people say the core Mira pickups are even “better.” My S2 Mira weighs 6 lbs 7.5 oz, but like I’ve previously mentioned I’ve seen sub 6 lbs S2 Mira’s. I went with mine because I liked the color better relative to the sub 6 lbs one. The S2 Mira is still my lightest electric guitar followed by a reclaimed redwood Tele (6 lbs 12.3 oz) and an SG (6 lbs 13.1 oz).

I had a Mira X for a while, it was a nice guitar, but I prefer S2’s (in general, don’t have an S2 Mira). The X, IIRC, had a much fatter neck and also a 24.5” scale, so the feel is different not just in finish but dimensions, too. The X was also extremely light, but then again, any Mira I’ve gotten my hands on has been. It was extremely bright, which was why I ended up selling it. Any mahogany S2 I’ve played has absolutely floored me, in terms of being a fat, full, rich sounding instrument, so that’s primarily why I would pick the S2.

My S2 mira gets a lot of playtime as its so light & versatile, i put p90 in neck of mine. Its less than a strats weight but ive never measured it

My S2 Mira weighs under 6 lbs and I think the pups are great, just my opinion of course, the curves make it very comfy as well...

Back