How is a Mira X vs a S2?

Discussion in 'Electric Instruments' started by elkend, Mar 18, 2019.

1. elkend

elkend New Member

Looking to buy my first PRS. I heard the core line is worth looking for used. There’s a Mira X I found for a good price similar to a S2. Anyone know how these compare? Like if I find them same price same condition what to pick? I tried the satin neck and love it but not sure if the Mira X is smooth like that. I also heard the Mira X is 5.5 lbs which sounds awesome, and I believe the S2 is heavier?

2. mad monk

mad monk Your father's Oldsmobile

My son has a Mira X. It's extremely light, plays well, sounds OK, and holds tune well. I've only played one S2, a singlecut standard. I preferred the neck carve on that model. All other aspects were equal.
    You can pretty much dial your amp in to get your sound from either. I'd say it's a toss-up. I do prefer the satin finish. Gotta play both; can't go wrong with either.

3. dmatthews

dmatthews Dave's not here...

Used core Mira if you like 24 fret.
    S2 Mira if you like 22 fret.
    No coil split in the X

bodia and pauloqs like this.
  4. Glide-bpm

Glide-bpm We were small but we were slow...

I had Mira S2 and now have a Mira core model instead. I like the core better, but have no idea on the Mira X ones...
    S2 Mira was a good guitar, though!

5. Stoptail22

Stoptail22 El PRSidente

I bought both Mira X and S2 Singlecut last year. Because they are PRS guitars, they play both very fine, there is no big difference in handling. You should consider a pickup swap, especially on the S2.

2009 Mira X with 59/09 pickups, locking tuners and coil split mini switches, 5.4 lbs :
    [​IMG]

2014 S2 Singlecut Semi Hollow with 57/08 pickups and adjustable stoptail, 6.8 lbs
    [​IMG]

If I had to decide, I would go with the Mira X.

veinbuster, dmatthews and grausch like this.
  6. pauloqs

pauloqs PRS McCarty

Not all Mira X are 5.5 lbs and I’ve seen S2 Mira at around that weight as well. There’s good variation across guitars of the same model. Personally, I went with the S2 Mira because I like S2 pickguard design better and because I prefer 22 frets. I find the Mira “S” pickups phenomenal, but people say the core Mira pickups are even “better.” My S2 Mira weighs 6 lbs 7.5 oz, but like I’ve previously mentioned I’ve seen sub 6 lbs S2 Mira’s. I went with mine because I liked the color better relative to the sub 6 lbs one. The S2 Mira is still my lightest electric guitar followed by a reclaimed redwood Tele (6 lbs 12.3 oz) and an SG (6 lbs 13.1 oz).

7. andy474x

andy474x Knows the Drill

I had a Mira X for a while, it was a nice guitar, but I prefer S2’s (in general, don’t have an S2 Mira). The X, IIRC, had a much fatter neck and also a 24.5” scale, so the feel is different not just in finish but dimensions, too. The X was also extremely light, but then again, any Mira I’ve gotten my hands on has been. It was extremely bright, which was why I ended up selling it. Any mahogany S2 I’ve played has absolutely floored me, in terms of being a fat, full, rich sounding instrument, so that’s primarily why I would pick the S2.

8. pac90

pac90 In Helix Land, the waters warm

My S2 mira gets a lot of playtime as its so light & versatile, i put p90 in neck of mine. Its less than a strats weight but ive never measured it

9. Russ73

Russ73 New Member

My S2 Mira weighs under 6 lbs and I think the pups are great, just my opinion of course, the curves make it very comfy as well...

pauloqs likes this.
  10. fender1punk

fender1punk Certified Guitar Hoarder

Ooh, you guys are going to get me in trouble. Now I want a Mira to go with my Starla.

pauloqs and dmatthews like this.
  11. shimmilou

shimmilou Established in 1963

Go ahead, everyone is doing it. I have one ordered, so I won’t be the only kid on the block without one. :cool:

bodia, dogrocketp and pauloqs like this.