How Herman Li’s PRS really broke

Ovibos

Naughty Wood Librarian
This is wild. It’s not the joint, it was the wood itself!

He also keeps talking about it as if there will be more of them in the future…

(Salty language, play at your own risk)

Something about this guy... annoys the cr@p out of me! ;) Maybe it's his skills. Maybe it's that I can't take more than 10 seconds of his weedly-weedly playing. I dunno.

Iteration 2 of this guitar... Paul makes a mold in the exact shape of this neck. Fills it with glue, lets it set. Problem solved - nothing is stronger than a neck made of set glue. Crazy!

Somehow I’ve never broken a guitar.

‘Course, what he did there is not part of my technique:
If it were I’d consider going back to a Telecaster.

Nah. Too late now. :cool:

A CE model PRS maybe…

Agree 100% with Rick above...He wanks it reasonably hard against his leg/hip...and if the neck is as thin as some of the Ibanez's it resembles, I'm not too surprised with the break...They (Ibanez) do a really thin (front to back) neck so there's not a lot of "meat" to hold it together.

Of course, make the neck out of the Set Glue...Love that idea!!!!!

Agree 100% with Rick above...He wanks it reasonably hard against his leg/hip...and if the neck is as thin as some of the Ibanez's it resembles, I'm not too surprised with the break...They (Ibanez) do a really thin (front to back) neck so there's not a lot of "meat" to hold it together.

Of course, make the neck out of the Set Glue...Love that idea!!!!!
Gibson SG could be problematic for him at that point in the show.;)

So my physics background wonders whether the weight and/or weight distribution of the broken PRS is (was) different from the typical models he plays, which (seemingly) don't break so easily. This guitar broke because the applied torques at the pivot point, generated by the Center of Mass of the neck and the CoM of the body dropping at the fulcrum point of the neck joint and his knee, was stronger than the material (wood). And apparently he has abused other models without such unfortunate consequences.

i.e. if the body was differently shaped, along with a different neck/headstock weight/design, maybe it wouldn't have applied such a great force - the CoMs might be closer to the fulcrum (so applied torques are lower), or the masses might be lower (also lowering torques).

Or maybe he just got unlucky with that piece of maple.

So my physics background wonders whether the weight and/or weight distribution of the broken PRS is (was) different from the typical models he plays, which (seemingly) don't break so easily. This guitar broke because the applied torques at the pivot point, generated by the Center of Mass of the neck and the CoM of the body dropping at the fulcrum point of the neck joint and his knee, was stronger than the material (wood). And apparently he has abused other models without such unfortunate consequences.

i.e. if the body was differently shaped, along with a different neck/headstock weight/design, maybe it wouldn't have applied such a great force - the CoMs might be closer to the fulcrum (so applied torques are lower), or the masses might be lower (also lowering torques).

Or maybe he just got unlucky with that piece of maple.
Interesting observations and analysis.

Another consideration… guitars are not designed and tested to withstand a kneeing or a drop kick.

I'm usually not one to air my pet-peeves online, but when vloggers and YouTubers do excessive cuts in their videos, it's incredibly distracting.

That being said, hope they come up with a solid (pun intended) solution. I really like the look of that guitar.

I'm usually not one to air my pet-peeves online, but when vloggers and YouTubers do excessive cuts in their videos, it's incredibly distracting.

That being said, hope they come up with a solid (pun intended) solution. I really like the look of that guitar.
Well, it's a summarization of a very long Twitch stream.

Back