How good would you be...

Dude practices all the time
practice makes perfect.jpg

Around the time I joined BaM I was suffering from severe guitar burnout. I kinda hated guitar, and especially guitar based music, and I felt alone with my obsession of PRS guitars, as I didn’t run in circles with anyone else who played them.

In a way, spending time here with you guys reinvigorated my passion for guitar (and practicing) and made me feel like I needed to “walk the walk” if I was gonna “talk the talk”.

So.... I’d probably be worse than I am now. And for that, and a multitude of other things, I have to thank you all.

Problem: "I'd love to play better, but I prefer to visit guitar forums for the social experience and camaraderie."

Process: Set priorities and goals, set up a schedule with which guitar practice occurs, spend time practicing with goals in mind, diversify practice regimen so as to prevent fatigue and/of boredom with repetitive drills, lastly, spend only 30 to 40 minutes per day practicing guitar, but practice every day, on schedule.

Solution: The 30 to 40 minutes you practice each day will likely improve your playing ability, firm up muscle memory and produce better study habits. (You folks all did this in college while studying, why not use the same mindset for guitar practice?) The remaining time you have for your daily life, including guitar forums.

Benefits: Improved playing ability, confidence boosted, more positive attitude. What you hear and feel you'll more easily translate to your fingertips.

(It's like writing a book. Once you know the characters, the technique, the feel, the timing, the rhythm, all the things you learned when you first learned, you'll not depart from them. There's no shame in saying "I don't know how, but I'd like to learn." Ask questions, and don't be afraid to make mistakes, just so you learn from them.)

P.S. Not a motivational speaker. My life is filled with enough negativity for me not to care but this is one subject I care about.

Last edited:
I write music all day. It makes a person crazy. I need to take lots of communication breaks.

Truth is, I haven’t seriously practiced an instrument since getting into the music creatin’ biz 28 years ago. I just play. If a track sucks, I’m sane enough to hire a real player.

Back