How good of a player do you have to be...

HANGAR18

Who is John Galt?
I've heard that everyone who works at PRS has to be a guitar player.
If true, I'm wondering, how good of a guitar player do you have to be to work at PRS?
Thankfully, I'm glad there is no test of guitar playing ability required in order to BUY a PRS guitar. hahaha

You don't have to be a good player to be a good luthier. Leo Fender didn't play guitar at all; neither did Ted McCarty. PRSh is sort of an anomaly in the guitar biz--a first-rate designer and luthier who happens to be a very good player as well. Conversely, there are plenty of great players out there who couldn't build a guitar if their lives depended on it.

You don't have to be a good player to be a good luthier. Leo Fender didn't play guitar at all; neither did Ted McCarty. PRSh is sort of an anomaly in the guitar biz--a first-rate designer and luthier who happens to be a very good player as well. Conversely, there are plenty of great players out there who couldn't build a guitar if their lives depended on it.

There are also a lot of mediocre players out there who couldn't build a guitar if there lives depended on it or can't even maintain a guitar if their lives depended on it. I just might fit into this category:wink:

I know that not everyone there plays, but I seem to recall hearing that everyone had to spend time sanding guitars. Not sure that's still the case, but to get through that would take some dedication.

I know that not everyone there plays, but I seem to recall hearing that everyone had to spend time sanding guitars. Not sure that's still the case, but to get through that would take some dedication.

A long time ago I practically begged them to hire me as a sander. (I'm an IT computer guy with a strong background in web site stuff who makes more than a sander.) I guess now I'm glad that they didn't hire me because my current occupation affords me the opportunity to buy some really nice PRS guitars. ;)

Back