How Famous Do I Need To Be...

Discussion in 'Electric Instruments' started by HANGAR18, Aug 14, 2020.

1. toothace

toothace Zombie Thirteen, DFZ

Have you considered talking-to the guys at Texas Toast?

2. Bookface

Bookface New Member

I think you're vastly underestimating the difficulty of making something completely different to what the production line usually makes. There's nothing simpler than making what the production line makes. Doing a complete one off would require a skilled luthier to handle the build from start to finish. There are other logistical problems. What if the CNC machines aren't large enough to accommodate a V style body when the pickups are in such a radically different place to normal? Someone then has to hand route everything. Someone would have to hand route the pickup controls anyway because they're in a completely different place to any PRS because of the body shape. I know it doesn't seem like much, but any time you take something off a production line and hand it to a skilled artisan you can expect costs to skyrocket. Essentially you offered the price of a relatively standard Private Stock for something completely unique.

Heck, it could also be that Paul doesn't like V's, and doesn't want his name on one. There are all kinds of reasons for them saying no, though like I said I get the frustration that they didn't actually tell you what they were.

#82 Bookface, Jul 22, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2021
    alantig, veinbuster and aphantomvaper like this.
  3. dogrocketp

dogrocketp I drank the PRS kool aid, and it was tasty!

Gibson and PRS have a bad legal history that I’m sure Paul doesn’t want to revisit even though Gibson would be happy to. The over $30k price? That’s called a go-away price by luthiers. In other words, I don’t want to make it, so I’ll give you a price that’s so high you’ll just go away.

AjCalderon, SinSir, bodia and 2 others like this.
  4. aphantomvaper

aphantomvaper New Member

Buy a guitar kit and try to put it together and have it look and sound good.

I did that, its not as easy as it seems even when all the parts are pre-fabbed.

Good luck! I know what its like pursuing what's in your heart.

5. Bookface

Bookface New Member

Oh absolutely. I've done it myself. Apparently though the customer in question was offered a really good deal on a singlecut instead, which was a new model that they were really pushing at the time. He was so annoyed that they gave him a stupid price on the HB and offered to make him a SC (i.e. totally different guitar) as an alternative that he has refused to have anything to do with PRS since.

6. RickP

RickP Established 1960, Still Not Dead

I’d buy a used CE, strip the neck and electronics and have a luthier build a V body to suit. Sell the CE body as a “project guitar” to recoup some funds. Bam! A PRS V at a reasonable price.

Be the first on your block to own one!

7. dogrocketp

dogrocketp I drank the PRS kool aid, and it was tasty!

I had an offset V made 30 years ago. It was a pain in the ass on a small stage. I sold it to my best friend for peanuts. His widow still has it.

8. HANGAR18

HANGAR18 2011 Road Glide Custom

A lot of very valid opinions here. Much appreciated! I've calmed down quite a bit. However, I feel I should mention that the same PRS PS dealer I mentioned previously also showed me a photo of a PRS made "Explorer" body style guitar. So, I KNOW they could do a V without any problem. Moot point now. That was the one and ONLY time I will ever ask them about it. As a matter of fact, if they came back and said, "Hey Danny, we changed our mind, we'll do it!", I'm done with the whole subject. No. That ship has sailed.

Used Hamer guitars? Not if the asking price is higher than a brand new PRS. I'm a player, not a collector.
    Buy a PRS S2 and take a band saw and some Titebond III glue to the body? I have given that SERIOUS thought and haven't ruled that out yet.

So now I'm keeping a lookout for small, never-heard-of-them guitar builders, or maybe even guys who founded a guitar company and then sold it and no longer run the company which bears their namesake who still build guitars on the side. Maybe even that dude who builds Explorer bodied guitars for Hetfield. Heck, I'd buy a goddamn Epiphone V if they used solid wood, decent hardware and the same same truss rod as their mode expensive USA variants. I'm also looking for someone who will make an aluminum diamond plate pick guard for me once I decide upon a V builder.

AjCalderon and RickP like this.
  9. HANGAR18

HANGAR18 2011 Road Glide Custom

I'm about to...

toothace likes this.
  10. Mad

Mad New Member

11. AjCalderon

AjCalderon New Member

It honestly probably has more to do with Covid than anything. I had to send a CE24 back for a factory refinish and they wouldn’t change the color on it no matter what I was willing to pay they said they didn’t have the time or manpower.

They also aren’t taking Artist one offs anymore either. Tried to get a 594 with an Ebony board and in a pink finish and they said I’d have to go private stock. Tried to get an s2 594 with Ebony board. Told I had to go private stock.

They really have no desire to do anything “one off” at the moment. In order to get the S2 I want I have to order 4 of them as a “dealer order”. I think I’m gonna do it because four S2’s is still cheaper than a private stock and I can sell off the extras even if it’s a loss for me.

aphantomvaper and Mad like this.