How durable is the finish?......

Orange Tiger

Just wondering how well the finish on modern day PRS's stand up to wear over time. My other electrics ( strats, les paul etc....) all have scratch plates fitted but obviously my custom 22 doesn't. I'm curious to know how well the finish will stand up to scratches and other potential wear from general playing.

Does anyone have any evidence to show how tough (or not) the finish is?

Thanks..........

Pick scratches are inevitable on any guitar...unless you don't use a pick;)
Pick scratches are ok, it means you play the guitar! :top:

Pick scratches are inevitable on any guitar...unless you don't use a pick;)

Just the way I happen to play, but I don't get them. I tend to strum and pick in small circular movements, with a jazz size pick.

I do it for precision, not to avoid scratches.

I know a lot of players strum these days with dramatic arm movements, but I've always strummed from the wrist, and moved my fingers holding the pick for when picking with very little wrist or arm movement. It's just been easier that way for me.

The side benefit is I hardly ever put a pick scratch on a guitar. People look at my guitars and ask me if I've ever played them -- but I play the heck out of them! Here's a shot of my Artist V taken today in response to this thread (I probably should have polished it but forgot). The guitar has the V12 finish. I received it new in August, 2011; I play it every single day either to practice or to do recording sessions, and I'd say the finish has held up pretty darn well! So if you need evidence as to how the finish wears, consider this:

Any finish will eventually show wear; even the older poly finishes showed it. I had quite a number of the poly finished PRSes (over 15?) and 4 with the V12, and I'd say they wear pretty much the same.

The V12 is a bit thinner, but I haven't really noticed a wear difference since PRS switched, except I think the newer PRSes sound a little better (and no, I can't say for sure it's the finish, maybe that's a factor?). Some people have reported that the V12 is a little softer, but I haven't experienced that at all.

I'm surprised to report that the "shatter hard" nitro on both my private stock acoustic (and my earlier Tonare Grand Custom) is a very hard-wearing finish! I figured it would be soft and sticky, however, it isn't. It's a great feeling finish that's pretty tough.

If your playing scratched the hard plastic pick guards of your other guitars, it'll certainly scratch the finish of your PRS. The best evidence of how the guitars' finishes wear is to look at some of the posts of older guitars' pictures. They tend to hold up well and look good no matter whose guitar it is.

Some folks have posted on various forums about using clear plastic "cling" sheets, or actually attaching pick guards. Seems like overkill to me, but you might look into one of those options if scratches bother you.

Finally, there's always the PTC if you really bung the thing up. I look at that as sort of an insurance policy. ;)

Last edited:
Back