How does the blade switch sounds compare to the rotary switch?

StSpider

I'm a happy owner of a 91 PRS CE with the alder body and rotary switch. The guitar is stock with HFS and VB pickups.

Part of my love for the guitar is the position "8", aka the slug coils of the two pickups, in serie. I spend 90% of the time in that position, love it for both rhythm and leads.

Now, I am also looking to buy a "proper" custom 24. I am leaning towards a newer one because I don't want another guitar with the same pickup combination, I enjoy variety.

But I understand that the switching options on the blade switch don't overlap with those on the rotary (except for the "neck humbucker by itself" and the "bridge humbucker by itself" tones).

My question is what position on the blade switch is most comparable to the "series" setting on the rotary, if any.

If none is comparable, I might consider swapping the blade switch with a different one that allows for different combinations. Ideally, I'd like

- bridge humbucker
- inner coils in series
- outer coils in parallel
- neck split
- neck humbucker

Or some variation of these. But ofc I cannot find a wiring diagram anywhere, nor do I have any idea what switch I would have to install without any permanent modification to the guitar (which is a huge no for me).

Last edited:
I believe the switching positions of both of these are listed on the PRS web site. I have both and I like the blade. I have never been a fan of trying to turn the rotary switch while playing. The blade is easier to change while playing. They have some pretty nice sounds with the blade. They also changed the rotary functions over the years so the older ones work a little different than the more recent ones.

I found the rotary just too difficult to use and even worse if my hands were sweaty. The blade will give you all the same tone options but with a selection format that works during a gig. If you're a full time studio player, or someone who only changes pickup selection between sets, the rotary is fine. My experience anyway.

I haven't had a problem with the rotary switch really, took a little bit of playing time to get used to it. Now that I'm used to it I don't think about it anymore.

One thing the rotary solved for me was not accidently bumping my switch when i would go for the volume knob while on the neck pickup. Of course that isn't a "huge" problem for me using the blade switch either.

My preference has been toggle switches really...but I'll adapt to anything.

I appreciate the input but I have no issues with the rotary switch regarding functionality really.

My concern is only about the different tonal options between the rotary and the blade switch, and if something on the blade comes close to the series position on the rotary.

The blade gives you three tones in common with the rotary:
Bridge pickup
Inside coils parallel
Neck pickup

The differences:
Both humbuckers instead of inside coils series
Instead of outside coils, you get bridge humbucker with neck inside coil

Your easiest solution is to replace the PRS blade switch with a Schaller Megaswitch P, which gives you the rotary positions in a nice and easy to wire blade switch.

You could instead use a four-pole five-way super switch to get the rotary positions or customize. This does require some wiring know-how to design your own scheme.

The blade gives you three tones in common with the rotary:
Bridge pickup
Inside coils parallel
Neck pickup

The differences:
Both humbuckers instead of inside coils series
Instead of outside coils, you get bridge humbucker with neck inside coil

Your easiest solution is to replace the PRS blade switch with a Schaller Megaswitch P, which gives you the rotary positions in a nice and easy to wire blade switch.

You could instead use a four-pole five-way super switch to get the rotary positions or customize. This does require some wiring know-how to design your own scheme.

So the megaswitch P is designed to do in "blade" format exactly what the rotary does? Thanks I had no idea it existed! I'll probably install just that if I find myself unstatisfied with the position 2-3-4 of the stock switch.

Back