How does Core Hollowbody model handle higher gain?

Discussion in 'Electric Instruments' started by fgeorge097, Jun 29, 2020 at 6:18 AM.

1. fgeorge097

fgeorge097 New Member

I was thinking about picking up a core hollowbody 2 piezo, and wanted to get some feeback how how it handles higher gain. Think along the lines of Randy Rhodes.

Is the amp feedback / squealing completely uncontrollable at higher gain levels? I have read that there is a solid block running behind the bridge to help reduce the amp feedback, but I am not really sure. I have seen some heavy metal guys using this model on Youtube.

Hoping to get real world feedback from this forums if I really would be better off just going for a solid body.]

Why the hollowbody, you ask? Simply, I have wanted one my entire life, and I am finally able to afford it. ; )

2. Tahlee

Tahlee Tollywood Rhode Island

I had a Hollowbody II and it sounded great with high gain. However, playing in front of a stage monitor caused some feedback. You just have to be aware of how you are standing so you don’t face the guitar right at the monitor. I didn’t like having to fight the feedback.

3. FunkyFreeman

FunkyFreeman Moo Panuwat

I played many HB core with low to high gain. From my experience I can control the feedback at will; I can turn the feedback on and off, without such any unwanted, annoying, problematic situations that people often found with those famous HB-styled guitars.

I did record a video clip once. Look at @02:30. I let that core HB II to howl long before I stopped it. Controlling feedback is part of fun I like about core HB II that almost no other PRS can give me. The amp I used in the video is Mesa Rectoverb combo 25w.

BTW, as not being a pro musician, I have no idea how things will change when playing live. But hope my comment helps.

Just a side note from my recent tests - the SE version seems to make the feedback more difficult than the core counterpart. I guess there’s something about solid VS laminated body constructions.

4. Mozzi

Mozzi https://imgur.com/user/BAMozzy

I don't have problems with gain and feedback on my Hollowbodies - I have the HBii with Piezo and a 594 HBii. The block under the bridge is there to mount the bridge to the body securely to cope with the tension of the strings. I too don't play live so don't have monitors or speakers pointing directly at the guitar to cause unwanted feedback...

bodia likes this.
  5. Jazzedout

Jazzedout More Guitars than Time...

Check Emil Wrestler on youtube, on how the HB copes with gain...

6. DISTORT6

DISTORT6 NJ Devil

I run a Boss NS-2 with my rig. No problems with high gain with my HB Spruce.
    You can feel that guitar vibrating with the amps cranked-up!
    And of course, the gratuitous pic :D

[​IMG]

VHTStark, Tahlee, grausch and 8 others like this.
  7. hord1080

hord1080 New Member

Check out YouTube video on Sophie Burrell playing the new SE HBII she puts out some high gain stuff it sounds like. I don't know what differences if any would be between the new SE model and Core, but sounded awesome!

8. bodia

bodia Authorities said.....best leave it.....unsolved

I never had problems with mine and high gain.

VHTStark and DISTORT6 like this.
  9. Kiwi

Kiwi New Member

The HB-IIs are surprisingly feedback resistant. They will eventually feed back, of course, but at higher volumes than you'd guess. (Way better than my Gretsch 6120, which bursts out crying at the mere sight of a Fender Deluxe.)

Several of us here have experienced the unique charm of a HB-II breathing gently through the f-holes upon your inner forearm, as it approaches feedback. ;)

=K

10. jfb

jfb Plank Owner

11. fgeorge097

fgeorge097 New Member

Thanks guys and gals.

I see the hollowbody comes standard with 11 gauge strings with a wound 'g'

Would it be okay to have the dealer ship it to me setup with 10-46 gauge with an unwound g?

Not sure if this would cause any issues, or if the HB is specifically designed for the 11 gauge.

12. veinbuster

veinbuster Zombie Three, DFZ

One of my HB has 10s on. It won't cause issues if you want that gauge, but I encourage you to try the stock 11s first. I didn't really notice the extra thickness when I first played mine.

As to feedback, I agree with what others have noted that it is easy to manage. Just shift your body position a bit if you are getting more than you want.

I should mention the 'block'. This isn't the same in all eras of the PRS HB. Initially (like mine from the 90s) the 'block' carved from the underside of the top was JUST where the bridge goes. Then the centre wood connects that to the back as what looks like a small block - a bit bigger than the bridge. Later PRS HB (like my 2009 25th anniversary) the uncarved portion of the underside of the top runs the length of where the strings would be on the top. The connecting block between top and back under the bridge is still the same size. I don't find it makes a big difference as a player.

Bottom line: definitely get a hollow body.

bodia and dogrocketp like this.
  13. sergiodeblanc

sergiodeblanc I like to party, mmm hmm, everybody does.

Even my HB Spruce handles gain well.

G*d damn, that’s a sexy guitar! The pillow makes it even hotter.

RickP, DISTORT6, bodia and 1 other person like this.
  14. RickP

RickP Established 1960, Still Not Dead

I'll second that. I was really surprised how hard you could push it without undue issues, and you can get feedback when you want it easier than other guitars I have. Mine is also a spruce, without piezos. Great guitar!

DISTORT6 and sergiodeblanc like this.
  15. jak3af3r

jak3af3r Slightly Older Than New Member

Mine is a 2009 but not a 25th without the thicker center. It's also a singlecut. I've not had any issues with feedback and use 10's it's a great guitar.

I second the bottom line. Definitely get a hollowbody.

16. Herr Squid

Herr Squid I was severely impressed

The first thing I saw/heard at the first Experience I attended was Emil Werstler and Mike Scott tearing up a pair of Hollowbodies plugged into high gain amps (Dual Rectos, I think). Yeah. They can do that.

17. Mozzi

Mozzi https://imgur.com/user/BAMozzy

I don't know how thick the top is down the middle of my HBii top as I haven't taken the Pickups out. The block is not exactly very big though and just enough to ensure the Bridge has something Solid to mount into and the String Tension won't cause the top to become distorted. You can see the block in this photo of my HBii

[​IMG]

And its also clear from looking at the F hole, the wood around that area is thinner than at the edge - the Faux binding is thicker. I don't know how much of the underside is carved away and whether the area around the F hole is particularly 'thinner' so it appears the whole top is 'thinner' or whether it is all carved out to that thickness - apart from the places where it attaches around the edge and at the block. I would think the area the Pickups are mounted too would be a bit thicker too so the screws have something more substantial to screw into.

grausch likes this.