How does Core Hollowbody model handle higher gain?

fgeorge097

I was thinking about picking up a core hollowbody 2 piezo, and wanted to get some feeback how how it handles higher gain. Think along the lines of Randy Rhodes.

Is the amp feedback / squealing completely uncontrollable at higher gain levels? I have read that there is a solid block running behind the bridge to help reduce the amp feedback, but I am not really sure. I have seen some heavy metal guys using this model on Youtube.

Hoping to get real world feedback from this forums if I really would be better off just going for a solid body.]

Why the hollowbody, you ask? Simply, I have wanted one my entire life, and I am finally able to afford it. ; )

I had a Hollowbody II and it sounded great with high gain. However, playing in front of a stage monitor caused some feedback. You just have to be aware of how you are standing so you don’t face the guitar right at the monitor. I didn’t like having to fight the feedback.

I played many HB core with low to high gain. From my experience I can control the feedback at will; I can turn the feedback on and off, without such any unwanted, annoying, problematic situations that people often found with those famous HB-styled guitars.

I did record a video clip once. Look at @02:30. I let that core HB II to howl long before I stopped it. Controlling feedback is part of fun I like about core HB II that almost no other PRS can give me. The amp I used in the video is Mesa Rectoverb combo 25w.

BTW, as not being a pro musician, I have no idea how things will change when playing live. But hope my comment helps.

Just a side note from my recent tests - the SE version seems to make the feedback more difficult than the core counterpart. I guess there’s something about solid VS laminated body constructions.

I don't have problems with gain and feedback on my Hollowbodies - I have the HBii with Piezo and a 594 HBii. The block under the bridge is there to mount the bridge to the body securely to cope with the tension of the strings. I too don't play live so don't have monitors or speakers pointing directly at the guitar to cause unwanted feedback...

I run a Boss NS-2 with my rig. No problems with high gain with my HB Spruce.
You can feel that guitar vibrating with the amps cranked-up!
And of course, the gratuitous pic :D

IMG-1151.jpg

Check out YouTube video on Sophie Burrell playing the new SE HBII she puts out some high gain stuff it sounds like. I don't know what differences if any would be between the new SE model and Core, but sounded awesome!

The HB-IIs are surprisingly feedback resistant. They will eventually feed back, of course, but at higher volumes than you'd guess. (Way better than my Gretsch 6120, which bursts out crying at the mere sight of a Fender Deluxe.)

Several of us here have experienced the unique charm of a HB-II breathing gently through the f-holes upon your inner forearm, as it approaches feedback. ;)

=K

Thanks guys and gals.

I see the hollowbody comes standard with 11 gauge strings with a wound 'g'

Would it be okay to have the dealer ship it to me setup with 10-46 gauge with an unwound g?

Not sure if this would cause any issues, or if the HB is specifically designed for the 11 gauge.

One of my HB has 10s on. It won't cause issues if you want that gauge, but I encourage you to try the stock 11s first. I didn't really notice the extra thickness when I first played mine.

As to feedback, I agree with what others have noted that it is easy to manage. Just shift your body position a bit if you are getting more than you want.

I should mention the 'block'. This isn't the same in all eras of the PRS HB. Initially (like mine from the 90s) the 'block' carved from the underside of the top was JUST where the bridge goes. Then the centre wood connects that to the back as what looks like a small block - a bit bigger than the bridge. Later PRS HB (like my 2009 25th anniversary) the uncarved portion of the underside of the top runs the length of where the strings would be on the top. The connecting block between top and back under the bridge is still the same size. I don't find it makes a big difference as a player.

Bottom line: definitely get a hollow body.

Even my HB Spruce handles gain well.

G*d damn, that’s a sexy guitar! The pillow makes it even hotter.
I'll second that. I was really surprised how hard you could push it without undue issues, and you can get feedback when you want it easier than other guitars I have. Mine is also a spruce, without piezos. Great guitar!

Later PRS HB (like my 2009 25th anniversary) the uncarved portion of the underside of the top runs the length of where the strings would be on the top. The connecting block between top and back under the bridge is still the same size.

Bottom line: definitely get a hollow body.

Mine is a 2009 but not a 25th without the thicker center. It's also a singlecut. I've not had any issues with feedback and use 10's it's a great guitar.

I second the bottom line. Definitely get a hollowbody.

The first thing I saw/heard at the first Experience I attended was Emil Werstler and Mike Scott tearing up a pair of Hollowbodies plugged into high gain amps (Dual Rectos, I think). Yeah. They can do that.

I don't know how thick the top is down the middle of my HBii top as I haven't taken the Pickups out. The block is not exactly very big though and just enough to ensure the Bridge has something Solid to mount into and the String Tension won't cause the top to become distorted. You can see the block in this photo of my HBii

kZnd9Gg.jpg

And its also clear from looking at the F hole, the wood around that area is thinner than at the edge - the Faux binding is thicker. I don't know how much of the underside is carved away and whether the area around the F hole is particularly 'thinner' so it appears the whole top is 'thinner' or whether it is all carved out to that thickness - apart from the places where it attaches around the edge and at the block. I would think the area the Pickups are mounted too would be a bit thicker too so the screws have something more substantial to screw into.

Back