How do you get your lead boost?

andy474x

Knows the Drill
Just wondering what some of you guys do to get a volume boost on your leads (or if you do anything at all)? I go back and forth between a volume booster in the loop, and just turning up loud for the whole gig. I don't get complaints about either, but I kinda feel like a jerk for blaring over my band. Sometimes I can just ride the volume knob, but if you've already got a lot of gain going, you don't get much volume change out of that... I'm sure you all know what I'm talking about. Just seeing what the opinions are.

I installed a set of these. They go to 11.

GN0132KN-BLK.jpg

2 Channel amp OR an overdrive pedal, currently an MXR M.O.D., soon to be replaced or augmented with an TC Electronics Spark Booster if they ever catch production up.

The last couple amps I have purchased have real lead boosts of one sort or another... actually kicking the volume up. They may not be the perfect amps tone wise, but the both sound VERY good in a group setting... Traynor YCS 100H and Spider Valve 112. The Traynor is a great amp and has a foot switchable boost that kicks the volume up to a certain settable level without a significant impact on tone. The Spider Valve is an amazing amp if you really take the time to tweak the sounds... it is easy to make it sound like poo, but it can sound like a nice tube amp (which it is, thanks to Mr Bogner) too. It doesn't have a boost per se, but with the control board there is a volume pedal, which has little to no effect on tone across it's sweep. I taped a pile of quarters under the pedal heel at the point I wanted to set for my rhythm sound, then I just toe forward for lead. Simple. The pedal on the board is supposed to double as a wah, but that is a PIA in my opinion, plus the wah is only ok... I use a GiG FX Kilo Wah and that thing is great for gigs, simple, built like a tank, optical switching/analog circuitry... nice. SO, my current gig rig is small but practical; 40 watt 112 combo (loudest 40 watts I ever heard), Line 6 Shortboard, Kilo Wah. Compact and I have all I need

Pre PRS guitar i always used a tubescreamer and in later days a RC booster.When i discovered the excellent volume pot on my PRS i try to use that as much as i can,having the lead tone on 10.

I have an EP Booster on most of the time and kick in a Wampler Paisley Drive or Lovepedal Gold Kalamazoo to get dirty. All into my CAD Dallas.

I find that unlike a lot of guitars, PRSes have really useful volume and tone controls. I set the amp up to get my sounds with the volume controls and tone controls at maybe 6-7, sometimes lower. That way I can control gain and volume with my amp. But I don't play with huge amounts of gain.

Either the vol knob (I tend to play at around 7, so a roll up to 10 often does the trick), or a Fulltone Fat-Boost (origional).

Different OD pedal for lead than for rhythm, so I can both adjust volume level, but also gain and tone to suit my taste.
I also use them with a switching system so I can add stuff like comp, delay or whatnot to my lead or rhythm tones.
here is the board I was using at Musik Messe this year:
401950401.jpg

Hey, it's a MoenFX GEC9, Amazingly versatile and smart device. More info can be found at their website, www.moenfx.com
If it's something you're interested in, I can hook you up (have 2 of these on the way here straight from Moen for Swedish guitarists)

I am thinking about trying a Maxon OD808 and something to boost it (until a new Klon appears!) I was thinking the xotic EP Booster but what order would you run them in? I like to use my volume knob so the amp would be on a "just breaking up" stage.
what order would you think would be good to run them?

I am thinking about trying a Maxon OD808 and something to boost it (until a new Klon appears!) I was thinking the xotic EP Booster but what order would you run them in? I like to use my volume knob so the amp would be on a "just breaking up" stage.
what order would you think would be good to run them?

I run a Keeley TS-9 then OCD in front of an EP Booster so that the conversion to low impedance takes place after the TubeScreamer magic. Also makes the run up the cables crystal clean and strong. I just bought a Lovepedal Kalamazoo to replace the OCD but will probably keep this order.

Used to run a Keeley Katana for a while, great pedal, but now I'm with Aldwyn, roll that volume knob to 10 and I've got enough to pop out of the mix. The 9-10 portion of the volume pot can't be linear with the 0-9 range. I don't know if PRSh has ever confirmed this but, that last bit certainly doesn't feel linear.

Back