How do you fight the urge to quit playing?

I had a similar situation about 12 years ago.
New medication and music was just bouncing off of me not in me.
I decided to spend a little time learning to really read on the instrument.
Start slow if you don't already read, like Mel Bay book 1.
That way you can just open the book and play something, it might be boring at first but it will challenge you.

You will find yourself progressing and really understanding the instrument. The more comfortable you get there is a deep ocean of written music that most of us don't touch on guitar.
Any piano music, flute duets and etudes, vocal stuff anything really.
When I'm not sure of what I want to play I grab a random book and just flip to a page.

This can also inspire you and give you new things to play and "borrow from" in your own ideas.

Interestingly enough, it what's in your "cabinets" that makes the difference. I usually keep my plates, dishes and glasses in mine. Though I know some who like to snoop through other's "cabinets" to see what they can find...you'll find my music books in my bookshelf cabinet, 2nd shelf...

Regards meds, top shelf, safe from little hands with waiting mouths...

I ABSOLUTELY can relate! I have spent YEARS .... and dare I say decades toiling in the same few riffs. What I realized a few years back is that I didn't have the internal drive to do it alone. So, somehow, I backdoored my way into a band. Been with them for almost three years now. Some of you may remember me doing a radio show with my singer that started it all off on my daughter's birthday. Joined the church band as well to force me to do something different with music and to be obligated to play every couple of weeks. Now, there is an album project in the works with my band that should be in the studio recording in the middle of next month.

To be honest, even in the band situation, I have always felt that I don't really cut the mustard. And at times it has made me want to just drop it and let them progress without me. But, the group dynamic, and them keeping me around has helped me a bit with that. Am I anywhere NEAR where I would like to be? H*LL naw....but I am much further along than I was a couple of years ago. Interested in seeing how this recording project goes. And more excited about my musical future.

Not sure this path is for everyone. But it has helped me tremendously.

I have been forced to cut down my playing as I've had a couple of surgeries (torn labrum and reattachment of my bicep tendon) over the past few years. These surgeries have limited how long I can actually sit and play the guitar. During this time, I became interested in orchestral music and, in the past couple of years, have mainly concentrated on composing using VST's. However, my love of guitar was still there and I use the guitar to play some lead lines to color the orchestral music I am writing.

So now, even though I cannot play guitar for an extended period of time, I do play and this limitations had made me appreciate the times I am able to play (and, of course, these injuries have not cut down on GAS)

Never, and even if I suck at technical aspects (I don't, but am nowhere near as good as I would like), I love improving the tone that is in my fingers. Maybe I lack some chops, however perfecting the finish/sustain and vibratos of notes that make beautiful, BEAUTIFUL, sounds is always possible and you can always improve in that department.

Especially with my nice selection of workhorse PRS guitars.

Back