How do you fight the urge to quit playing?

I can't be the only one out there.

I've got the gear, but my chops haven't really improved for many years (due to lack of consistent playing. kids, work, familial obligations etc) and I'm just kind of over it.

Music hasn't really inspired me. New stuff that I dig is just too technical for me to pull off and I get bummed by that too. Chon for instance.
Easier stuff is too boring to play. Maybe I just need a friend to jam with...or maybe I just need to get a practice habit again...or maybe I should sell it all and just be a bassist.:)

Pardon the rambles but has anyone gone through this before?

Hi I quit playing for over 10 years until recently,I was too self judgemental about my playing style, my Tone basically everything,sold all my Gear .I have no regrets but after playing for only a short while again I realised I wasn’t really that bad(subjective I know)but all I can say is I’m really enjoying playing guitar again everyday ,on a crappy acoustic and realise how much I had learnt way back,

im more relaxed now,not looking to be a superstar ,Got into Gospel and it’s really helped me enjoy my life and renewed my interest in playing

maybe you just need to take an objective view and not a comparable one,sit back relax and find the fun in your playing again

I started relatively late compared to most, it seems - I was 24 or 5 (I know it was 93, forget whether it was before or after my birthday :) ). I immediately jumped into an original band, playing rhythm...and somewhat stopped developing, because I liked playing rhythm. That band ended when I divorced the drummer, among other things, and I quit playing regularly for several years. Moved 800 miles away, and really only occasionally noodled until I decided it was time for a band again - joined one, again on rhythm, and the bass player literally died during my first gig with them. That was a wee bit traumatic, to say the least, and so again I put the guitar mostly away for a few years. Got the bug again, joined a band on bass, we stayed together for 3 years and it was consistently fun, only dissolved because the band leader want to retire from playing. With no trauma, I've kept playing since...have tried to form 2 new bands with me in the organizer role, decided I don't like being the organizer. I could have gotten stale again there, but my new goal is to actually learn to play more lead, and hopefully join a jam-type band - so I'm currently woodshedding. If I find I'm not playing as much as I'd like, I'll probably go look for another band where I can play rhythm and sing lead.

Anyway, after all of that wording, what I'm saying is that it goes in cycles for me, as it does for many others in the thread. Take it easy on yourself, and if you want to hang it up for a bit, then hang it up for a bit - but don't sell your gear. You'll probably find yourself wanting to play again after a break.

Quitting music is like quitting brushing your teeth, yeah… you can do it, but it’s not healthy.

When I really got sick of playing guitar and listening to guitar music, I just pivoted away from it for awhile. I stopped listening to heavy stuff, and listened to more disco, reggae, and funk where guitar wasn’t the main focus.

I was still making records and recording bands at the time, so guitar burnout was kinda more job fatigue and feeling like I was a failure at guitar. So I played more keyboards and focused on writing songs for a bunch of years, it was good.

Try to listen to some other stuff! Whatever doesn’t make you feel like you’re a crappy guitar player… You may never become a shredder virtuoso type, and that’s actually a good thing. Find the music that makes you happy again.

For me, serendipity plays a large part in fending off the frustration. Sometimes the expected destination isn't really where I need to be, evidently.

I love everything about guitars, from the feeling of lifting that strap over your shoulder and settling in to playing just one note, and cannot imagine not having a guitar around as a companion.

Some really good points here fellas. I guess I'm not meaning quitting completely. I'll always have a guitar near. Maybe just downsize a lot.

My playing has been stagnant for a bit so I got pretty heavy into pedals that took my playing to a different place. Cool and all but now, I feel stuck in that world.

I've been at this for nearly 30 years. Started with Nirvana and other 90s alternative, Led Zeppelin is the greatest band ever, love "digestible" prog like Karnivool and the like. I've always been more a feel player vs a technical one. I guess that comes from being 98% self taught like I'm sure a lot of us are.

<shivers> I have anxiety even thinking about singing. :)

The best advice I was ever given about singing came from a former guitar teacher, in the form of a question. He asked me "are you a fearless singer?". I had to answer no at the time, and then I decided to become a fearless singer - and discovered that the fear was what had been keeping me from singing well. It wasn't easy, and it didn't happen overnight, but I'm now quite comfortable singing lead.

The best advice I was ever given about singing came from a former guitar teacher, in the form of a question. He asked me "are you a fearless singer?". I had to answer no at the time, and then I decided to become a fearless singer - and discovered that the fear was what had been keeping me from singing well. It wasn't easy, and it didn't happen overnight, but I'm now quite comfortable singing lead.

My pal was like you. He was a very shy singer. It’s all about confidence. Letting yourself go and not being afraid to make a bummer or two.

I don’t know where my voice came from. I used to muck about in the school choir and sang Mel Torme songs in the jazz band I was in at 18.

Playing a couple of instruments helps with intonation, I guess.

Anyhoo, back to my mate who is now far more confident and has recorded himself several times. If you feel it’s right, have a go.

Take small steps. Find someone you’re comfortable singing to and build from there.

I go for periods when I don’t play much, for various reasons, but I’ve never considered quitting. I’m not a great player, but I improve at some things from time to time and that is satisfying.

I do play a lot of different styles, which helps keep things fresh. I also play stuff written for different instruments to try to keep myself thinking.

My secret to satisfaction though is: if I’m trying to play something that just isn’t working for me, I set it aside. I might try again tomorrow, next week, or in a couple of years. I can always get happy by playing something original, so I don’t need to be good at someone else’s song.

I love it when somebody saves me from a bunch of typing.

:)

I always loved music and guitar. When I was around 25 when I stopped playing guitar due to life and having little free time. It took me almost 20 years to pick up a guitar again. I had listened to an album that had just been released and out of nowhere I had that hunger to start playing again. That was 3 years ago. Since then there have been only very few days that I haven't played. Everyday I'll find a few minutes to either just play, write some music. learn a new song, relearn a song I've forgotten how to play, record some music, mess with my gear tone searching, jam to backing tracks or study up on some theory since I'm self taught. What I'll chose to do depends on my mood but I never seem to get bored of playing. Maybe subconsciously I'm trying to make up for all those years I didn't play.

I’m finding singing as suggested a great help also,never been one for singing at all as I used to play lead.only scale after scale run after run .but singing along with my acoustic guitar playing is really helping my rtythm playing and chord changes which hopefully won’t change when I go electric again

For me it started out as a form of both physical and mental therapy.

I've gone thru the negative thoughts and doubts about my progress. However, I've found that if I go pick it up and make myself play even just a few notes or chords, no matter how uninspired I was before I grabbed it...I literally can't remember why I didn't want to play just a few minutes earlier. Let yourself "Play" just enjoy playing around the board to see what you can find. All that being said...my advice is make a firm commitment to pick it up everyday, even if it's for just a few minutes. But no matter what, keep picking it up everyday without fail. Do that for 30 days and if you still aren't feeling it maybe do your best to try and flip the script. Maybe try another instrument or just keep reminding yourself why you loved it so much in the beginning.

Hang in there dude. And don't forget. No matter what...DON'T QUIT...taking a knee is acceptable, quitting is never an option.

Man I need to put that on a t-shirt. :D

Last edited:
Whenever I lose motivation I usually just buy a different guitar, or gear or trade a few and get something different a good jam with a friend also helps !!!
Funny the less time I have the more motivated I am to play.
The #1 thing for me is making it easy to grab a guitar and strum some , a drum machine , backing tracks , amps plugged in ready to go.

I've stopped a number of times, but each time I came back to playing I learned some new things. My biggest enemy is practice discipline (and the small inventory of songs that I know, which is embarrassing). Now I'm trying to practice or play 15 minutes a day and that makes things easier. I get together with a couple of guys every other weekend and play some. None of us wanted to sing, but somebody had to so now I'm doing that for the first time at 71.

Forgot to mention. I've had the same guitar for 20 years. I think my practices would improve with a new PRS.

Last edited:
I always loved music and guitar. When I was around 25 when I stopped playing guitar due to life and having little free time. It took me almost 20 years to pick up a guitar again. I had listened to an album that had just been released and out of nowhere I had that hunger to start playing again. That was 3 years ago. Since then there have been only very few days that I haven't played. Everyday I'll find a few minutes to either just play, write some music. learn a new song, relearn a song I've forgotten how to play, record some music, mess with my gear tone searching, jam to backing tracks or study up on some theory since I'm self taught. What I'll chose to do depends on my mood but I never seem to get bored of playing. Maybe subconsciously I'm trying to make up for all those years I didn't play.

I totally get that. I started really late. Just a few months before turning 50. I've always been obsessed with music, and I consider myself the "creative type", it just happened to be a great fit. I decided to finally begin learning. I was all in! 4 years and a few months later...I still am. In my head I have to work 3 or maybe 4 times harder than I would have, had I started earlier in life. I try to make up for all that lost time. That's just how my brain is wired.

Last edited:
Back