How do you deal with the different challenges of having a gig/band, a recording, etc?

Single_tone

As the title says, how well are you doing it, especially nowadays? Feel free to share it here.

My band of the last 15 years bit the dust as one guy retired and moved and another signed out on physical issues. In truth, we were on the downhill slope of a very successful run and it was likely a kinder death than we might have been afforded in time.

Since then, the other guitarist and I did a 2-guitars-plus-vocals trio that was a fun diversion for the smaller outdoor gigs that were the only playing opportunities in my area. We’ve also done some jams with area musicians here and there, but nothing has come of it.

I hope there will be more stages and studios in my future, but having gigged since the 70s around work and family, I am ok if it takes a while or never comes. I’ll never stop playing, it’s just the where, when, and with whom that remains beyond the veil at this moment.

This, too, shall pass. :)

Last edited:
Got double shotted a few months ago. There has been an open mike in faraway Virginia that is now running every other week in a Moose Lodge. It's ideal, the room holds roughly 1,000 and the stage is a good 40 feet across. We crammed 25 people in last open mike. I went to one in Baltimore on Wednesday night that was under a similar setup. We're getting back slowly. If I write music, it's on paper, and for my file cabinet. All I really want to do is have live humans smiling , dancing, and having a good time while I play. The groove is there. I'm lucky enough to play with some musicians I really like, no matter where I play. I can't wait to start gigging again.

the last show i saw (from my window) was a 4 piece loading into the moose lodge, which used to a racist organization but is merely sexist today; by monday there was a huge outbreak and they shut down for months.

I recently moved to TN. Within a couple of days I joined a classic rock cover band. We're rehearsing and still looking for vocals and second guitar. My bass player and I have been driving to Knoxville twice a week to do a cool blues jam. Not my thing, so I'm learning a lot. Plus I get to be onstage again.

Last edited:
Our last gig was 14 months ago. There’s talk of outdoor gigs starting up. Not sure. During the last 6 months our singer of close to 10 years was diagnosed with cancer. Things have not gotten better for him. His survival is about 50/50. At this point we don’t even have a rehearsal spot anymore. We’ve been asked about returning to gig but it’s not even an option if things were getting to normal. Hoping to play in a room with the others sometime before I lose my sanity.

Our last gig was 14 months ago. There’s talk of outdoor gigs starting up. Not sure. During the last 6 months our singer of close to 10 years was diagnosed with cancer. Things have not gotten better for him. His survival is about 50/50. At this point we don’t even have a rehearsal spot anymore. We’ve been asked about returning to gig but it’s not even an option if things were getting to normal. Hoping to play in a room with the others sometime before I lose my sanity.
Dude, that sucks. Hope things get better.

Sorry to hear that - sending mojo to your singer. That sucks.

I feel bad for your singer, I hope he can survive this and live longer. :(

Its worse when your band mates die on you. So sorry to hear about your friend and singer.

Stay positive, things do get better!

Just wondering, when things get out of hand, does any of you have considered talking to a therapist?

Back