How do I ship this thing?

Sage

While you were partying I studied the guitar.
So I got my quote from the PTC for the repair to the finish on my #1, and I'm going to send her in. Only problem is, I don't have a box. Those of you who have shipped guitars to the PTC before, what have you used?

Do people generally prefer UPS or FedEx?

Is there any reason not to ship overnight?

Markie is right...

But let me explain on how EASY and PAINLESS Shawn will make this for you. Fiill out the contact sheet and email him. He will SEND YOU A BOX, with the packing you need AND a return shipping label READY TO GO! :D

Follow the directions:
http://prsguitars.com/ptc/#shippingkit

DONE! :D

Oh and with the shipping rates PRS gets - I found it less expensive to do it this way, than to have shipped it there on my own. ;)

Last edited:
I already went to the ptc website and filled out the form and got a quote. I didn't know about the shipping kit, though, that's awesome... I will probably go that route. Thanks, you guys!

I'd just go to a local guitar store and buy/beg a used box.

There are MANY in your area.

Go to a Guitar Center, find where they throw out their cardboard. I usually have no trouble scoring a perfect guitar box by dumpster diving at a GC!

True, boxes are easy to find, but...

If you are far enough away, like me on the west coast - IT IS ACTUALLY CHEAPER to let Shawn ship you a kit. I ran the numbers and for me to ship that guitar one way to Stevensville was $99.73. ( I plugged in the box demensions and estimated the weight at 26 pounds.) - The kit with the return label to get the guitar back to the PTC was $85. AND I didn't have to go dumpster diving! :laugh:

amps are even worse. I did some estimates on the major shipping sites... it would cost me the same to ship an empty amp box (1x12 combo) as it would to ship it with an amp in it... $200 just based on the box dimensions... was no more once I added in the weight of the amp.

Lucky I live on the East coast - so when I send my guitar to the PTC, it will cost way less than $85 (with free dumpster box)!

I went with the shipping kit. I'm in Texas, so it's probably cheaper this way, but the main benefit is having PRS-approved packaging so there's no question about whether it's being properly handled. This is a really smart thing for the PTC to offer.

amps are even worse. I did some estimates on the major shipping sites... it would cost me the same to ship an empty amp box (1x12 combo) as it would to ship it with an amp in it... $200 just based on the box dimensions... was no more once I added in the weight of the amp.

tell me about it. I had to send a large bass amp back to carvin in california from cleveland, i'm still making payments on it!

I go to my local acoustic guitar shop to get boxes. I usually get Taylor boxes with plastic guards on either end. The guys at the shop don't charge me anything for it, but I give them $5 bucks anyways. I tried GC and they wouldn't give me anything.

ULine sells guitar boxes. I bought a 5 pack, shipped to my door for like $40-$45. They are a bit oversized, but can easily be cut down in length...

S_14224_L.jpg

http://www.uline.com/Product/Detail...=34660899562&gclid=CLXBuvSHprcCFdJ9Ogod9FUAGA

Jamie

She's off! I received the shipping kit last week but because I was busy interviewing for a new job I wasn't able to get her shipped out until today. She should be at the PTC by the end of the week (I hope).

Thanks for the head up on the shipping kit, guys. Definitely made things easier.

Back