how do I find out what neck profile my PRS has?

Fred S

x
Hey All!
I'm very new to the community here and am glad I am a new proud owner of my first PRS guitar.
I bought a used (2006) PRS Custom 24 10. I love it and am getting comfortable with it.
I can see there are quite a few different kinds of PRS neck profiles. Patern, Pattern Thin, U-shape, Wide-thin pattern, etc...
Does anyone know what kind of Neck I might have, or how I can find out please??

Thank you,
-Fred S

It'll either be wide thin or standard. Whatever they called the regular shape back then.

The easiest way to tell is look on the tag if you have it.

The second easiest way to tell is to look at the barcode under the neck pickup and put it in the MODCAT decoder found in the MODCAT thread and you'll get all the other info too.

Wow Jake, thanks for the reply! A bit over my head though. I do have the original tag that has an eagle on the cover, folds open has hand written serial # (38962) and Model # (Custom), Neck (10T). The painted looking # on the actual neck reads 628555 10.
I can't see any bar code and have no idea what a MODCAT is. (lol, sorry)

A MODCAT is a code you will find on a decal. It is under one of the pickups, with another sometimes on one end of the case or affixed to the hang tag. Here is one I saw on the internet:

HQQjhyW.jpg

Then go to this forum post for a place to plug the code in:

https://forums.prsguitars.com/threads/modcat-decoders.6650/

The decoder will tell you all the materials used for your guitar’s major components, neck profile, etcetera. It’s a very handy way to get a “birth certificate’ of information on your instrument.

Thanks again, got a good idea now. So, if I don't see this code on the case or tags, should I open up the guitar to look at the neck pick up? Will I find a sticker in there somewhere?

Yea, it does look like I need to remove the pick up to look under it. (Just found a you tube video showing it) Any advice on how to vs how not to... I don't want to mess up the pick up placement or anything like that.
-Fred S

Last edited:
If you just take out the four screws in the corners, you won’t affect the pickup height.

Thanks guys. I did get to the back of the pick up(s) and there was no MODCAT there. Unless there is something else anyone else can suggest I can do, I'll do what Alan said and email PRS to see what they can tell me.
Thanks again,
-Fred S

Yep, should be in the guitar body under one of the pickups. I’d email support anyway. They are very nice about helping sort your guitar’s history.

Wow Jake, thanks for the reply! A bit over my head though. I do have the original tag that has an eagle on the cover, folds open has hand written serial # (38962) and Model # (Custom), Neck (10T). The painted looking # on the actual neck reads 628555 10.
I can't see any bar code and have no idea what a MODCAT is. (lol, sorry)

The serial number on the headstock matches with a 1996 guitar. The serial number on the cover matches to a 1998 guitar. You sure it's a 2006 and not a 1996?

Back