How different does the Custom 24 sound vs the McCarty 594?

The marks on the binding. Those lighter lines. I don't think it is a defect but I never saw that before on binding.
That's how PRS does their binding on Core guitars. It's actually the side of the top, and they call it a Scrape Binding. Here's a video of an employee working on one.

Very nice, I'm amazed how well balanced the McCarty 594 is, especially compared to my Les Paul. The tone is not as thick and there is better articulation on the high notes on the 594. The tone is more even which is a breath of fresh air for me. I got tired of the 1960's blues thick tone. I still love that tone, but I need to move forward.

The first photo I sent today was with a fluorescent light. It looks different and more to my liking with a light bulb instead. It will be interesting how it looks in sunlight which I will check tomorrow.

OKzX0dj.jpg

@Revelation The Custom 22 is a different beast to the 594. I cannot tell you which you would prefer and the ONLY one who can is yourself. The Custom 22 is a bit more Les Paul like than the Custom 24 but that's because of the Pick-up positions so the neck PU sounds a bit closer. Its thinner (like a Custom 24) and, if you are buying new comes with a trem bridge too. Its a 25" scale length as well and comes with a 5 way blade to give some different sounds than a Les Paul offers - either both split humbuckers together or the neck split with the bridge humbucker. You can kind of get that from a 594 using the tone pot push/pull whilst in the middle position.

As I have said, the best PRS 'strat' is the Silver Sky for the Single Coil tones but you are adamant that you have that covered. In my opinion, the majority (of not all) the Split coil options from PRS isn't to be a Strat or a Tele but to offer the musician more tonal choices and/or tones that will cut through a mix better because the split coil tones are not competing with Bass, drums or even a second guitarist. Its not just about having 3 or more guitars in one but more about giving the musician more options to be creative with, to fit in a mix etc.

If you have a double humbucker LP type, a 3 single coil strat type, a tele type and the hollowbody 335 type then you basically have everything you need to be a cover band musician. PRS may have models that are of the highest quality and quite a few models that are quintessentially PRS. Some may cover the same ground you believe you have covered so unless you are willing to double up or have something that can offer more options but still has a few that you already feel you have, then perhaps you won't find something.

You already have a Les Paul so why look at the Custom 22? It could replace your LP and offer a couple more tonal options as well as Trem bridge. Perhaps less risk of headstock breakage and better tuning stability too but you may find its not different enough or being more modern, doesn't sound quite like the LP you have become accustomed too. Its still a 22 fret double humbucker type guitar that covers some of the ground your LP does. You may not like the split coil combinations because you have a strat for that.

Just owning a PRS for the sake of owning one and not wanting something you already think you have covered is not going to be easy as there are areas that all PRS guitars offer that other guitars can 'sit' - even if the nuances of the guitars are different. On the one hand, you have mentioned the type of guitar (at least the sounds associated with certain Artists) but dismissed the guitars that are the best fit. You dismiss any split coil tones because you have a strat and you might as well dismiss all humbucker tones because you have a LP. Guitars like the Cu22, McCarty and 594 are alternatives to a LP in a lot of ways although a lot of us will like the nuances each offers and may even own a LP too but if you are limited to the number of guitars you feel you can own, unless you are prepared to double up, to trade for something that can replace what you have and maybe do more, then you may find that the 4 guitars you own already give you what a lot of PRS guitars offer. Its likely to come down to whether you prefer the guitars you have and their role in your toolbox or whether you prefer the PRS guitars and any extra ground they may offer.

My collection of guitars, maybe swap the 509 or maybe either the 594 or Special 22 (which is an expanded Custom 22) for a Silver Sky, and would probably cover your entire guitar collection and the songs you play. All that's missing is a typical strat sound. There are P90's or Filtertron sounds I am missing too but could make do. There are so many guitars that, whilst very different can be very alike too. The Custom 22, McCarty and 594 can all be a Les Paul alternative but also be something different too depending on the nuances, the extra options/features, the era you are comparing it to - let alone the feel, the weight etc. Every one of these could be used as an alternative to a Les Paul but also be different enough to justify purchasing along side a LP too.

The point I am trying to make is that maybe no PRS guitar is likely to be the 'one' for you because you feel like you have the area covered by guitar(s) in your collection. Certainly the guitars I would recommend based on the artists you mentioned, the ones I think are best suited, you already feel you own which may make searching for a PRS difficult because they don't fit in with what you like or do fit in but you already have that covered by a different brand.
You made some very good points, but after having the McCarty 594 for several days, there are a couple of things that really stand out that make it worth keeping if you already have a Les Paul.

The neck is much easier to play on. The LP gets a bit clubby after the 12th fret, while the access on the 594 goes all the way to the 22nd fret.
Its lighter than my LP and more comfortable standing and sitting down. The LP has an old 50's design and I want a more modern look.
It looks very different especially if you get the double cut. Modern looking and the headstock design keeps the guitar in tune better.
The tone is clearer than the LP on the low notes its like a clear bell while the LP can get a little muddy. The top strings are clearer and have a nice open sound compared to my LP. My taste in guitar sounds has changed over the years. I prefer humbucking guitars more than single coil now which is not the case for over 10 years.
Split coils are an added plus.

I received the guitar today and the first thing I was surprised about was the way it looked. It almost seems like Sweetwater photo shops the photos. What do you think?

Also look at this marks on the wood in the 2nd photo. I have not seen that before on a guitar.
ikCqUA0.jpg

V6zinpO.jpg
This is actually one of the things I love about maple capped PRSi. That scraped binding.

The first photo I sent today was with a fluorescent light. It looks different and more to my liking with a light bulb instead. It will be interesting how it looks in sunlight which I will check tomorrow.

OKzX0dj.jpg
I have the same guitar coming from Sweetwater tomorrow. I hate thin necks, too uncomfortable. I ditched my 1960 LP reissue and kept my 59 Reissue because the thin neck made me cramp. I have a McCarty 22 with the Patter Regular neck. Great feel. Made the mistake of getting an S2 594. Love the neck, so I had to get a Core 594. I'm sure it'll become my favorite.

I have the same guitar coming from Sweetwater tomorrow. I hate thin necks, too uncomfortable. I ditched my 1960 LP reissue and kept my 59 Reissue because the thin neck made me cramp. I have a McCarty 22 with the Patter Regular neck. Great feel. Made the mistake of getting an S2 594. Love the neck, so I had to get a Core 594. I'm sure it'll become my favorite.
My new 594 is my favorite guitar. My Les Paul Custom is taking a long vacation.

Surprise! It showed up today. Why does PRS insist on putting cream pickup rings on Charcoal guitars????
I had a set of black rings and already changed them. Just waiting on a black switch knob. The cream rings draw your attention away from the maple top. Will post pics after the knob comes. Check your string height and intonation. Sweetwater's 55 point check list wasn't so thorough.

Surprise! It showed up today. Why does PRS insist on putting cream pickup rings on Charcoal guitars????
I had a set of black rings and already changed them. Just waiting on a black switch knob. The cream rings draw your attention away from the maple top. Will post pics after the knob comes. Check your string height and intonation. Sweetwater's 55 point check list wasn't so thorough.
Personally I love it on my charcoal guitar. When I'm playing it, the tuning pegs, binding on the neck and cream pickup rings all match and it brings a solidarity to the guitar. If the tuning pegs were black, then the binding and pickup rings should be black.

Personally I love it on my charcoal guitar. When I'm playing it, the tuning pegs, binding on the neck and cream pickup rings all match and it brings a solidarity to the guitar. If the tuning pegs were black, then the binding and pickup rings should be black.
Agree. I prefer the cream on yours too. Ties everything together with the binding and tuners.

And I'm typically more of a black ring guy.

Last edited:
Exactly! The pickups pop. With Black your attention is drawn to the maple flame.
Hey, freedom of choice works for me. Enjoy your new baby.

Back