How come PRS dealers can't sell internationally?

AlexBohlin

While browsing guitars the other day, I found an awesome deal for a PRS S2 35th Anniversary in McCarty sunburst for $1,560 USD, so naturally I wanted to buy it. But they responded saying PRS doesn't allow then to ship overseas, and suggested I buy from a local dealer. Only issue is, they're $2,500 locally... Yeah, there's a big difference.

So why is this? I mean, I understand that it's risky, but isn't there a way to guarantee a secure shipping method?

Thanks!

Likely the dealer agreement is set up so that PRS can have different sales strategies in different regions, and so that price competition between dealers is minimized. The latter is why there is a MAP.

Many dealers ship internationally.

It’s fair for any business to choose not to though. It can be a pain.

Completely understandable. It must be a pain, because you can't ever really trust whoever handles the guitars along the way. I just wish I could've saved a thousand bucks! :(

Likely the dealer agreement is set up so that PRS can have different sales strategies in different regions, and so that price competition between dealers is minimized. The latter is why there is a MAP.
Yeah, it all makes sense I suppose. All the good deals are always just outta reach :rolleyes: guess I'll start lookin for something else

Just remember that if it's coming from the US to Europe you can expect to pay around 25% on top for taxes and duty plus around 100 for shipping. Still saves you $400 but it's not as huge a differential as it used to be back around 2003 when PRS in the US were half the price of Europe (including taxes).

I had the same problem, we had a dealer but even is registered in the official website of PRS, it doesn't have any stock since last year so no chance to buy here. Used market here is also poor, no one wants to sell one. I had to apply reverb + import. I actually think it was better because i had access to a core PRS for the price of an S2 here. YMMV

I would find it highly unlikely that PRS would tell dealers where they can and cannot sell.

Of course they tell their dealers where they can and can't sell. All manufacturers do. Some stores break that rule in the hopes buyers won't tell the manufacturer. I know Washington Music Centre got into bother with Musicman for selling guitars to the UK years ago.

Why? Because all these manufacturers have exclusive distribution agreements with distributors all over the world, and those distributors wouldn't be happy if PRS then willingly let US dealers bypass the local distributor. It happens, but PRS don't condone it, and have agreements with their dealers meant to protect it.

It's been years since I bought from the US, but I have bought PRS, Fender, Musicman, Ibanez from US and imported the the UK. It can be done if the dealer is willing.

Are you a dealer? how many guitar companies do you have agreements with? And how many years have you been selling?

Back