How cold it is where you are?

John Beef

Opaque
I'm in Phoenix, AZ. Normally January is when we get to gloat in 65 degree sunny weather while the rest of the country is shoveling their sidewalks. It makes up for those 115 degree days in July we suffer through.

However, in 15 years of living here I have never seen what I saw yesterday. I went for a run around 4:30pm and I saw ice in the concrete gutter on the side of the road. I have seen ice a few times, and it even snowed once (didn't stick or anything) but NEVER have I seen ice in the street at 4:30 in the afternoon. I know this would be common elsewhere. Not Phoenix!

It's been in the mid 20s every morning the last 3 or 4 mornings. We have two citrus plants, a lemon tree and an unknown tree in the front that's too small for fruit at this point. I'm pretty sure the small one is going to die completely. The other one will need serious pruning and probably won't grow lemons for two years. I picked maybe a third of what was out there on the tree, about three paper grocery bags' worth, before this cold hit. The rest are probably ruined. If the fruit freezes, the ice crystals that form tear up the membranes inside the fruit, so if you cut into it you just get mush.

To make matters worse, the heat boiler in my workplace blew up last week, so we still have no heat.

C-C-C-COLD!!!

ice-guitar.jpg

Here in North GA, we're staying a nice comfy mid-50's under a big blanket of rain clouds and fog. It's been a very mild winter so far with just a few dips into the low 30's/upper 20's so far. We had a high 73 degrees on Saturday!

A warm 32 F here in Michigan this evening. Usually, it's much colder this time of year.

Back