How can I get a hollowbody with a pattern thin neck?

fgeorge097

Now that the PTC isn't doing neck recarves anymore, how can I get this setup?

Can a dealer get me one as part of a wood library, or is it private stock only?

I think that is PS only, although there are WL runs that push the limits sometimes!

Can the dealer who is doing a wood library run make a single pattern thin for me, or would they have to do the whole run as a pattern thin?

If it were a rosewood neck, there is no real refinishing needed and in that case the PTC may still be willing to do a recarve ?
Worth checking with them.

PTC told me there don't plan on doing neck recarves ever again. Bummer.

Private stock prices are really high. Bummer.

I asked them about this a couple times too...actually just last week. Ya they said, no plans on the recarve right now, but "maybe" after the first of the year and even then not looking likely..I wonder how many inquires do you think they get about recarve??

So you need to find a local luthier to do it. IMHO one of the challenges in doing so is refinishing after reshaping is done, so make sure your luthier is good at refinishing too.

I did reshape my Modern Eagle by myself using some basic tools and sandpapers, with addition of removal of neck heel. But that's an non-finished rosewood neck. I guess yours isn't...
PeZI7pJ.jpg

So you need to find a local luthier to do it. IMHO one of the challenges in doing so is refinishing after reshaping is done, so make sure your luthier is good at refinishing too.

I did reshape my Modern Eagle by myself using some basic tools and sandpapers, with addition of removal of neck heel. But that's an non-finished rosewood neck. I guess yours isn't...
PeZI7pJ.jpg

That’s an ultimate “owner” move.

That’s an ultimate “owner” move.

ya it is, i wouldn't have the balls to do it...There was this one guy who used to work for the PTC and now runs his own shop..cant remember how i found him..but anyway i asked him if he could do the neck recarve, he didn't want to do it. said he doesn't want to take a chance cause wasn't sure where the truss rod location was or something like that.

I asked them about this a couple times too...actually just last week. Ya they said, no plans on the recarve right now, but "maybe" after the first of the year and even then not looking likely..I wonder how many inquires do you think they get about recarve??

They got probably 2-3 inquiries from me a year or two ago when I was considering re-carving a 594 and HBII w/ RW necks I was interested in buying.
Funny enough I was quoted different prices all the time (some were wrong) ;-), but yeah $600-800 was the range back then. Clear coated/stained necks would surely have been pricier due to the refinishing.

With shipping both ways and the recarving it would have been the equivalent of paying MAP on a loaded Wood library guitar, something I avoid at all costs unless I'm dead certain the guitar will be a keeper or fall in love with the looks.

Last edited:
Yeah, I had the PTC re-carve a CE22 W/F neck that was especially bulbous. They did a lovely job! It’s too bad if they’re not offering that service any longer, hopefully it’s temporary.

Ya im surprised they dont offer it again. im sure they get enough inquires about it to make money. Actually i think when i first looked into it they said they were under staffed or something like that and didn't have the man power to do them?. not sure though.

I would be all over a hollowbody SE or piezo with a wide thin. I guess I'll just stick with my Ibanez, probably better that way $350 vs $1500.

PeZI7pJ.jpg

That is gutsy - well played!

Also, it is just rude not to show the front too... :D

Back