How (can I) Fix This?

butterfly

Love Boat Captain
This is my 2012 Stripped 58. The metal ring around the pickup selector fell off last night:

Rqklssfs.jpg

The pickup selector itself is now loose in the guitar.

Question: Was this ring glued in, or otherwise fastened? Should I press it back in? (that does not seem to work?)

I am not very good at doing this kind of thing, but this seems such a minor job, I would hate to have to send it to PTC and be without my number 1 guitar for a week or more.

Suggestions?

Thanks!

I can't really tell from your photo but isn't the ring simply a washer that is under the threaded nut?

My guess is that the metal ring is actually a threaded nut.

Remove the plastic electronics cover from the back and push the control back into position. Screw the ring back on just like you were putting a nut on a bolt and tighten.

If it is the nut and the threads are stripped, you may need a new control....

If it is a washer as Mike says above, remove the threaded nut, put the washer back on and then replace the nut.

If it is a washer and it is damaged, go to the hardware store and find the closest replacement you can find.

Last edited:
Its like a threaded washer that for lack of a better term fits in the circle where the circle is cut in the top and the selector top sits. It would seem to have been assembled last, to hold things in place and to secure the selector and prevent it from moving back and forth against the top?

My guess is that the metal ring is actually a threaded nut.

Remove the plastic electronics cover from the back and push the control back into position. Screw the ring back on just like you were putting a nut on a bolt and tighten.

If it is the nut and the threads are stripped, you may need a new control....

If it is a washer as Mike says above, remove the threaded nut, put the washer back on and then replace the nut.

If it is a washer and it is damaged, go to the hardware store and find the closest replacement you can find.

Ah ha...yes I think that is what I am trying to say... a threaded nut. Going from the back to push the assembly back in place--"up" where the threads can meet--and the nut can screw in.

Its not a smooth washer. Nor is it damaged in anyway. It just got loose and fell off in action.

They do make a tool for tightening those, but finger tight usually works. If not, put some painter's tape around the selector on the top of the guitar and gently use a pair of pliers to tighten. GENTLY!

Jamie

Update:

Good advice all....

I removed the plate behind the control, pushed the unit into place, and hand tightened the threaded washer into place. Easy as could be. (even I could do it).

Thx!

Back